Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid - 19" vs 21" - All Season vs Summer Tires - Ride Quality/Performance/Tire Wear - Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2021 Model S Plaid w/3k miles - it has the (OEM) 21" Arachnid wheels w/Michelin P4S Summer tires. What initially started as an unsuccessful search for 21" all-season tires has led me down the path of considering 19" wheels and all-season tires.

Option 1: Buy Winter tires (Pirelli P Zero Winter) for 21" OEM wheels and swap each season
Option 2: Buy 19" Tempest wheels mounted with Continental All-Season Tires (OEM Takeoffs...could later replace with different tires as needed)
Option 3: Buy 20" aftermarket wheels w/all season tires (currently looking at Tsportsline options, mounted with Michelin P4S A/S...in a square setup)

Considerations:

1. I'd rather avoid swapping tires each season, but cannot find all-season in 21" (and based on this forum, I'm not the only one with this issue)
  2. Researching TMC forums for 21" tires and I'm seeing a lot of discussion on rear tire issues on 21" wheel setup - is this exclusive to 21" wheel/tires? Those with 19" wheels/tires - have you avoided this issue with different geometry? I don't mind replacing tires semi-often, but 5k-7k miles is a little silly and I'm equally if not more worried about the safety aspects. That said, I cant see any noticeable evidence of uneven tire wear at ~4k miles on my current setup (have not taken to shop and put on a lift)
  3. Anyone run into issues with all-season tires? I know there are tradeoffs to be made, but have there been any significant issues with the A/S variants? I'm not racing the car, I don't care if I give up a small amount of performance and even a little more road noise is fine...but I dont want to sacrifice significant ride quality, etc
  4. Anyone have experience with 20" wheels on a refreshed Model S? Curious about the square setup and 20" not being a standard size from Tesla. Feels like a perfect compromise for me (little better ride quality, easier to find replacement tires in this size, dont completely sacrifice "looks", moderately better range/mileage). Just looking for any experience/feedback.
  5. For what its worth...I really like the look of the 21" wheels, but don't want to deal with premature tire failure and the complete inability to locate tires...otherwise they and perform great!

Sorry for the long post, but it seems like I'm guessing I'm not the only one thinking through some of these questions - hopefully other can share their thoughts and/or experience.

I went down the same path as you and went with a 4th option: Buy 19" aftermarket wheels with WINTER tires. I figure if I'm going to swap wheels/tires from summer to winter, I may as well get real winter tires. Here's what I got:

Four 19X8.5 RIAL LUGANO OE CAP GRAPHITE SILVER wheels with four 255/45R-19 VREDESTEIN WINTRAC PRO XL from Tire Rack.

2022 Model S Winter Tire Question

I must say, they 19s ride a LOT smoother. I certainly won't be carving up corners with them, but for every day driving (in an area where we have some pretty rough roads), they are heads and tails smoother than that 21s with max performance summer tires.

I recently purchased a 2021 Model S Plaid w/3k miles - it has the (OEM) 21" Arachnid wheels w/Michelin P4S Summer tires. What initially started as an unsuccessful search for 21" all-season tires has led me down the path of considering 19" wheels and all-season tires.

Option 1: Buy Winter tires (Pirelli P Zero Winter) for 21" OEM wheels and swap each season
Option 2: Buy 19" Tempest wheels mounted with Continental All-Season Tires (OEM Takeoffs...could later replace with different tires as needed)
Option 3: Buy 20" aftermarket wheels w/all season tires (currently looking at Tsportsline options, mounted with Michelin P4S A/S...in a square setup)

Considerations:

1. I'd rather avoid swapping tires each season, but cannot find all-season in 21" (and based on this forum, I'm not the only one with this issue)
  2. Researching TMC forums for 21" tires and I'm seeing a lot of discussion on rear tire issues on 21" wheel setup - is this exclusive to 21" wheel/tires? Those with 19" wheels/tires - have you avoided this issue with different geometry? I don't mind replacing tires semi-often, but 5k-7k miles is a little silly and I'm equally if not more worried about the safety aspects. That said, I cant see any noticeable evidence of uneven tire wear at ~4k miles on my current setup (have not taken to shop and put on a lift)
  3. Anyone run into issues with all-season tires? I know there are tradeoffs to be made, but have there been any significant issues with the A/S variants? I'm not racing the car, I don't care if I give up a small amount of performance and even a little more road noise is fine...but I dont want to sacrifice significant ride quality, etc
  4. Anyone have experience with 20" wheels on a refreshed Model S? Curious about the square setup and 20" not being a standard size from Tesla. Feels like a perfect compromise for me (little better ride quality, easier to find replacement tires in this size, dont completely sacrifice "looks", moderately better range/mileage). Just looking for any experience/feedback.
  5. For what its worth...I really like the look of the 21" wheels, but don't want to deal with premature tire failure and the complete inability to locate tires...otherwise they and perform great!

Sorry for the long post, but it seems like I'm guessing I'm not the only one thinking through some of these questions - hopefully other can share their thoughts and/or experience.
Congrats on your Model S Plaid.

I have a model Y and would never go down to 19 inch because the wheel well it’s too large for aesthetics.

20 inch work great for my car and I do the 45 profile to give it a nice ride.
If it’s a five month winter interval I would probably buy an extra set of (wheels with snow tires on them); I would just change the wheels out don’t bother changing tires- keep the wheels & the tires together in your garage and you’ll probably get three to four years or snow seasons out of that.

Changing wheels is super easy and inexpensive. That way you get the full aesthetic of those wheels which are really nice.

Otherwise people will question whether you really have a Model S Plaid or just apply the badge on the back because otherwise they’re indistinguishable except for the wheels. And let’s face it because of the lack of color combinations on the Teslas everybody’s trying to outfit their car to make it look as good as possible and people can buy badges. Of course you can’t replicate the two second service 60 time but 95% of the time you’re not doing that with the car so people will think you are in a long range because of the wheels.

If the aesthetic and look at the vehicle are not a consideration then of course go to the 19 inch wheels with higher profile. I’m quite certain aesthetic as a major consideration which is why you’re deliberating

I don’t see any flaws with that advice but let me know what you think

Considerations:

After painstaking search, I just found and bought these 21” all season staggered that fit model s 2021+ refresh:

front: Set of (2) Driven Once 265/35R21 Goodyear Eagle Sport TO SoundComfort 101V - 8/32 | Utires
rear: Set of (2) Driven Once 295/30R21 Goodyear Eagle Sport TO SoundComfort 102V - 8/32 | Utires

the set I bought was listed as new, these appear to be the only other set they have, and are listed as driven once. Believe they are the Goodyear all season specifically made for model s that another post references as having been seen on a new model s at a Tesla dealer.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
After painstaking search, I just found and bought these 21” all season staggered that fit model s 2021+ refresh:

front: Set of (2) Driven Once 265/35R21 Goodyear Eagle Sport TO SoundComfort 101V - 8/32 | Utires
rear: Set of (2) Driven Once 295/30R21 Goodyear Eagle Sport TO SoundComfort 102V - 8/32 | Utires

the set I bought was listed as new, these appear to be the only other set they have, and are listed as driven once. Believe they are the Goodyear all season specifically made for model s that another post references as having been seen on a new model s at a Tesla dealer.

Review?

Keep it about the load rating of your tire. Tesla has always historically underspec’d its 21” option on the S. There is not a single 21” owner I know personally who hasn’t had cracked rims and blown tires because of a large pothole.

A car with a gvwr of 5600 lbs needs a minimum 102 load rating tire. 101 is not enough. There isn’t a 21” tire in the 28.5” diameter limit with a 102 load rating available. That is a fact.

Now on 20”, you have so many options with load ratings 104+.

I had 19” on my plaid, but they’re just plain wrong aesthetically for the car.

If you can afford it, get a summer set for the summer in addition to all seasons. The plaid does not achieve its full driving capability in all seasons. I have the 20” Michelin PS4all seasons and also a 20” Pirelli elect summer set

Last edited:
Reactions: Deaf Paul
I don't have a refresh car, but I've driven a plaid with 20" wheels. Seemed fine to me, though I didn't put it through pockmarked city streets towards the end of winter. That said, I can't see it being any worse than my P85DL+ with 20" wheels that I logged over 20k miles with. I loved how the car handled with the 20" A/S 3+ tires. I felt they were comfortable enough, even with the stiff plus suspension, and they had plenty of grip for even some swift mountain road driving. On a car with adaptive suspension, 20" wheels can be pretty darn comfortable by comparison, even with the tread approaching the wear bars.

I think 20" is the ideal size for the S. The size looks "right" for the car without being too flashy, they offer better steering response, and they are resilient through potholes, even though my aftermarket TSW wheels are not forged.

That said, if you never steer the car quickly and don't care about (or just dislike) a large wheel aesthetic, there are really no downsides to 19" wheels. They are less expensive, more comfortable, more durable, and offer better range than their bigger counterparts. For the OP, I would just buy a square set of 20" wheels and good all season tires. The only people I hear complain about all seasons are those that have to deal with snow or are racing their cars. You'll probably find them more comfortable than summer tires, even on the same wheels. Keep your stock setup for when you sell the car.

I had 19” on my plaid, but they’re just plain wrong aesthetically for the car.
We love the 19" setup with the PLAID. Not Über, but pretty cool and the ride is so much better.
_SDI9710_teaser.jpg

_SDI9601b.jpg

Reactions: aerodyne
Congrats on your Model S Plaid.

I have a model Y and would never go down to 19 inch because the wheel well it’s too large for aesthetics.

20 inch work great for my car and I do the 45 profile to give it a nice ride.
If it’s a five month winter interval I would probably buy an extra set of (wheels with snow tires on them); I would just change the wheels out don’t bother changing tires- keep the wheels & the tires together in your garage and you’ll probably get three to four years or snow seasons out of that.

Changing wheels is super easy and inexpensive. That way you get the full aesthetic of those wheels which are really nice.

Otherwise people will question whether you really have a Model S Plaid or just apply the badge on the back because otherwise they’re indistinguishable except for the wheels. And let’s face it because of the lack of color combinations on the Teslas everybody’s trying to outfit their car to make it look as good as possible and people can buy badges. Of course you can’t replicate the two second service 60 time but 95% of the time you’re not doing that with the car so people will think you are in a long range because of the wheels.

If the aesthetic and look at the vehicle are not a consideration then of course go to the 19 inch wheels with higher profile. I’m quite certain aesthetic as a major consideration which is why you’re deliberating

I don’t see any flaws with that advice but let me know what you think
Regardless of the rim size the tire circumference will always be the same.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ