Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my first crack and Safelite will be installing the replacement glass. They're getting it from the Tesla Service Center. No problems so far! I've seen some films that can be placed on the windshield for a protective coating. I'm wondering if anyone here has had that done and if the clarity is good? I want to tint my front windshield to cut down on the heat in AZ. Arizona is always under construction with big trucks kicking up rocks all the time on the road. This extra piece of protection might be just what's needed in my area.

I do not question the effectivity of the heat/UV coating that gives us transponder problems and as a FL resident, I do appreciate it. However, I do not see why they could not have enlarged the area around the base of the rear view mirror to create a dedicated 4"x6" space for transponders (and maybe one at the base of the windshield for radar/laser detectors).

I do not question the effectivity of the heat/UV coating that gives us transponder problems and as a FL resident, I do appreciate it. However, I do not see why they could not have enlarged the area around the base of the rear view mirror to create a dedicated 4"x6" space for transponders (and maybe one at the base of the windshield for radar/laser detectors).
I can't imagine a car company leaving certain areas of a windshield 'unprotected' for the use of radar detectors (illegal in many states) and transponders that the majority of vehicle owners simply don't use. Not that I'm against either of those. It's just that there are so many brands out there. If you use the Passport 9500, the detector is behind your bumper, along with laser jammers. You wouldn't need any special area in your windshield for that to work.

Sorry. I thought it was more than that. Detectors are illegal in Virginia and DC. But it's also illegal to have a detector mounted in your windshield in California and Minnesota. So, not as big a deal as I thought. But still pretty silly to ask a car manufacturer to make space for an accessory that's neither required for operation, nor legal in all 50 states.