Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y front windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a 2022 Model Y performance. Four months ago I had my front windshield crack when a semi-truck kicked back a rock from its tires on the highway. I immediately contacted Tesla to get a replacement and was told they don’t do windshield replacements. They told me I would have to go through a company such as safelite to get it replaced. Ok no problem. I called safelite and place an order for the windshield and they gave me an estimate repair date in two weeks since they need to order the windshield directly from Tesla. Then they call me saying we are still waiting to receive the windshield. It’s been four months and they still haven’t received the windshield. I keep calling them to get an update but they keep telling me that Tesla windshield’s for the model Y are on back order. How long am I supposed to keep waiting?

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Is it tesla fault or safelite? Luckily my windshield crack isn’t that bad where I can’t drive the vehicle but what would happen if a vehicle’s windshield crack is so bad it can’t be driven? Are they supposed to wait over 4 months to get their vehicle fixed?

I think it's a given that Tesla parts logistics is not where it needs to be. I don't think anyone here can give you an answer. All that we can do in this situation is simply wait it out, same as we've been doing when ordering the car and etc.

Unfortunately.

I had a crack on my windshield a couple of months ago. Got a replacement scheduled for the following week. No problem. Can there be that much of a difference between 3 and Y windshields? Btw, out here in NM we have to get windshields repaired fairly often- this last one was my second full replacement, and it, too, was done within 10 days of scheduling.

Last September, my windshield cracked on a road trip to Florida. I initially went through Safelite since they have a local shop but my nearest Tesla Service Center is two hours away.

My insurance is USAA so I knew I’d be on the hook for my $500 deductible.

However, Safelite was having a hard time sourcing the windshield and could not really tell me when they would get one.

After waiting 6 weeks, I set up an appointment with Tesla. The Tesla appointment was set up for 2 weeks after my inquiry. I paid for the entire windshield out of pocket (somewhere around $1200) and then had my insurance reimburse me (cost minus deductible)once I provided them with the invoice from Tesla.

I made an appointment with Tesla for a replacement windshield and got a mobile service appointment service for a week out. I even got a text a few days before letting me know they had an open slot and that they could do it earlier if needed. I feel like parts availability is very regional as I've owned a Tesla since mid-2019 and have never had to wait on parts.

I drive a 2022 Model Y performance. Four months ago I had my front windshield crack when a semi-truck kicked back a rock from its tires on the highway. I immediately contacted Tesla to get a replacement and was told they don’t do windshield replacements. They told me I would have to go through a company such as safelite to get it replaced. Ok no problem. I called safelite and place an order for the windshield and they gave me an estimate repair date in two weeks since they need to order the windshield directly from Tesla. Then they call me saying we are still waiting to receive the windshield. It’s been four months and they still haven’t received the windshield. I keep calling them to get an update but they keep telling me that Tesla windshield’s for the model Y are on back order. How long am I supposed to keep waiting?

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Is it tesla fault or safelite? Luckily my windshield crack isn’t that bad where I can’t drive the vehicle but what would happen if a vehicle’s windshield crack is so bad it can’t be driven? Are they supposed to wait over 4 months to get their vehicle fixed?
Do you have Tesla insurance? I'm only wondering because I have Tesla insurance and we thought (my wife and I) that we'd have to replace it. Luckily it turned out to be a smudge. Super curious...

Reactions: johntes
A small rock from a dump truck cracked my window a couple months ago. It cost me close to $1000 for TESLA to replace it.

A few weeks later I heard something very small hit the windshield and it left a chip. I'm wondering if TESLA's windshield glass is inferior to other vehicles.

I've only had to replace one windshield due to a rock hitting in in 50 yrs of driving. Now I've had one replacement and a "chip".

I had to wait 2 months for Safelite to get my replacement windshield from Tesla. I saw others online with a similar experience. Now that they have received it I have been waiting another month because they say there is a calibration "issue" on Tesla side. I don't know if they are being truthful though because I can't image no one on Earth can calibrate the windshield for this long. They keep telling me it is a bug on Tesla side

I had a crack on my windshield a couple of months ago. Got a replacement scheduled for the following week. No problem. Can there be that much of a difference between 3 and Y windshields? Btw, out here in NM we have to get windshields repaired fairly often- this last one was my second full replacement, and it, too, was done within 10 days of scheduling.

There doesn’t need to be much difference. The Model Y has a wider body, so a Model 3 windshield isn’t going to fit.

Not sure why getting the part is such a problem, but I almost wonder if there’s a breakdown somewhere between the local Tesla store and Safelite. Maybe the initial order didn’t go through, and they don’t want to be honest with the OP about that. 🤷‍♂️

I went through this back in 2019 with my Model 3. I initially preferred to have the Tesla service station replace the windshield, but they talked me out of it. In hindsight, they were right; auto glass is a specialized kind of work that most techs don’t do very often. Much better to have a glass technician who does them all day than a general service tech who replaces them once or twice a month.

How common is a stress crack on Model Y windshields? I just got a new Model Y delivered a few days ago and discovered a long foot-long crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I am not aware of any stone or rock impact on the windshield. I am fighting Tesla to cover the repair and they want to charge me $1,286 to replace the windshield. That is so ridiculous for a new car that I just bought. They claim they don't cover windshield damage but I truly believe it is a stress crack as it is more than a foot long. A crack caused by a stone would usually start small and get longer as time goes by. I only have the car for a few days after delivery.

I replaced mine through Safelite in December. I only had to wait until they had an available time slot for me to drop off as they only can do 2 Tesla replacements a day because they have to coordinate with Tesla to reconfigure the cameras.

How common is a stress crack on Model Y windshields? I just got a new Model Y delivered a few days ago and discovered a long foot-long crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I am not aware of any stone or rock impact on the windshield. I am fighting Tesla to cover the repair and they want to charge me $1,286 to replace the windshield. That is so ridiculous for a new car that I just bought. They claim they don't cover windshield damage but I truly believe it is a stress crack as it is more than a foot long. A crack caused by a stone would usually start small and get longer as time goes by. I only have the car for a few days after delivery.

I had the same thing happen to my brand-new Model 3. I never found an impact point and thought it was a likely stress fracture.

I fought that battle with my local service center and ultimately lost. They insisted there was an impact right at the top, and that I would have to go through insurance.

1673096658735.jpeg1673096691212.jpeg

Picked up my MYP last week of December. Called USAA due to a rock cracking my windshield. Got an appointment with safelite next Monday so let's see if they actually have the glass.
That’s what I did. I initially had an appointment with safelite for two weeks out but after one week they called me and said my appointment had to be changed since they don’t know when they will receive the windshield. It’s been 5 months. Today i scheduled a service on the the tesla app and now I have an appointment on February 1st. I would have done this from the beginning but Tesla lied to me when it initially happened. They told me they don’t do windshield replacement when I went in for an unrelated service. They said I would have to go through a third party such as safelite to get it replaced. Hopefully if all goes well I’ll have my windshield replaced February 1st. I’ll keep you posted.

I got my MYLR on Dec 17, and had a rock chip my front windshield. Very common in AZ when both sides of the freeways are embankments of gravel. I'm gonna let it ride until it cracks across the windshield because I know as soon as I replace it, I'll get another in 3 weeks.

Reactions: Kairide