Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y front windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess they should look for another installer then. Mine insisted on OEM (Had to wait on TSLA). I also got $150 cash back+Tint (tint has bubbles though :()

That can happen. When my Model 3 had its windshield replaced, OEM was the only option. But if aftermarket was available for less, the insurance company would have only paid for that amount.

I would pay extra for an OEM windshield, but probably not $400 more. I'd shop around at that point for an installer who would do OEM for less.

Reactions: vickh
That can happen. When my Model 3 had its windshield replaced, OEM was the only option. But if aftermarket was available for less, the insurance company would have only paid for that amount.

I would pay extra for an OEM windshield, but probably not $400 more. I'd shop around at that point for an installer who would do OEM for less.

right, that's my point. What insurance pays for is another matter. They can't dictate treatment. The shop can "eat" the cost difference too.

Reactions: TomB985
My windshield on my Y cracked two weeks ago... Had an appointment with Safelite and they told me two days before that they won't be able to get me an OEM and will get me a OEM equiv. I told them no.. I want OEM. The cost is extra $400 on top of my $250 deductible. I called GEICO and ask for approval for the OEM windshield. They said no, my policy says OEM equiv.

I've decided I'm going to go shop around for new insurance company now.. since GEICO wants to nickel and dime. I also see my windshield possibly cracking in the future so I'm going to go to a policy that will replace OEM.
I have Progressive and they have a partnership with Safelite. I requested to have it done by Tesla instead and they had no issue except I had to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed.

I was able to get a Tesla mobile service appointment within a week, they installed an OEM replacement windshield in my garage while I worked, and I was reimbursed by Progressive within ~2 weeks. Super smooth and really impressed.

This all sounds strange to me. I have had 2 windshield replacements on my 2020 MY. Both times this was completed by Safelite and usually in about a months time. Possibly it was closer to six weeks first time around as we were deep in COVID time. Both replacements were OEM.

I am from Massachusetts and we have fairly strict insurance laws. Maybe this is part of the reason?

Good luck.

You can’t make generalizations across state lines. What State Farm, USAA, Progressive, or Geico does in Wisconsin may be very different from what they do here in Minnesota. It’s a state-by-state thing.

Geico will function much closer to State Farm in a given state than they will to their own company in a different state.

Reactions: vickh and nate704
You can’t make generalizations across state lines. What State Farm, USAA, Progressive, or Geico does in Wisconsin may be very different from what they do here in Minnesota. It’s a state-by-state thing.

Geico will function much closer to State Farm in a given state than they will to their own company in a different state.

+1 AZ mandates no fault windshield claims ( rocks everywhere!) but they're generally not consumer friendly. They do allow rebates ,which other states prohibit.

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985
USAA uses safelite for windshield coverage. Safelite did the work on the MY and the windshield has the Tesla logo on it. They also did the calibration after the windshield replacement. The total cost was around $1400 and thankfully USAA covered it all with having $0 comp coverage.

USAA uses safelite for windshield coverage. Safelite did the work on the MY and the windshield has the Tesla logo on it. They also did the calibration after the windshield replacement. The total cost was around $1400 and thankfully USAA covered it all with having $0 comp coverage.

did they actually do anything other than hit the calibration button on screen?

I got my M3 used from Tesla 3 weeks ago. They had to delay my pick up because they discovered a crack on the windshield. Great! Works for me. However, I have only had the car for 3 weeks and it already got a windshield chip while I was driving on the freeway.

This is no big deal because I know my insurance covers for chip repairs with $0 deductible, only full replacement required a deductible. When I filed the claim for my previous car, any crack smaller than a dollar bill can be repaired. Anything larger needs to be replaced.

Reading through this thread, I get a sense that Tesla’s glass is “inferior” somehow. In my 10 years of owning my BMW, the window only cracked once and that’s the one I replaced through my insurance (cost without insurance would have been $2K). Come on, 3 weeks? Repairing is not a big deal since insurance is going to pay for it, but it would be a big deal if I have to do it multiple time a year.

Had mine replaced late January at Tesla SC. Took 4 days to get an appointment which was replaced the same day. Total cost was $1471 cdn + tax or $1086 US if you prefer. Did not give me a loaner car since it was not under warranty which is understandable however they did offer me one for $50 for the day. Normally I always get a loaner, never an issue. I do have $1000 deductible so no point in claiming insurance just for a price hike to follow.

Reading through this thread, I get a sense that Tesla’s glass is “inferior” somehow.

That’s the problem with internet forums. They’re heavily biased towards those who have issues because that’s how many of us find the site. If you read the forum of any vehicle out there, you’d log out thinking that it would fall apart any second.

Tesla glass comes from Saint Gobain Sekurit, which is a worldwide glass corporation that makes OEM and aftermarket glass for numerous manufacturers, including BMW.

Reactions: Rocky_H and nate704
I did not want aftermarket glass because I have FSD which relies on cameras as well as autopilot. Plus a bunch of other stuff I probably do not even now about needs camera input through the glass. Figured if the glass is not Tesla and there is an imperfection causing any kind of distortion, Tesla will simply blame it on the glass and rightfully so. If there are any issues, it becomes my problem, if its their glass, their problem. Piece of mind. ;)

I did not want aftermarket glass because I have FSD which relies on cameras as well as autopilot. Plus a bunch of other stuff I probably do not even now about needs camera input through the glass. Figured if the glass is not Tesla and there is an imperfection causing any kind of distortion, Tesla will simply blame it on the glass and rightfully so. If there are any issues, it becomes my problem, if its their glass, their problem. Piece of mind. ;)
Highly unlikely. The cameras are located in the center where the windshield is flat, and also camera is not that sensitive. How do I know? Mine came with actual oily finger prints inside the camera housing right in front of those three cameras.
If you look at it from the front, those finger prints were actually blocking the view, so that I couldn't see the camera. The AP worked perfectly fine with no error messages at all.
I was able to wipe off the finger prints after a few months of ownership when I was installing the aftermarket dashcam.

Nah, the system is nowhere near that sensitive. Autopilot and FSD use the same 1.2 MP cameras that provide as much detail as a lower-end digital camera from twenty years ago. There are aftermarket glass manufacturers, and I've never heard of an Autopilot issue with them. The cameras have a calibration procedure that can be triggered from the service screen, and they simply need to see the road in the right places.

Any piece of glass precise enough to fit the opening is going to do just fine.

• Informative