Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just create a platform independent play to screen solution. Miracast or something similar. We are many that dont have and dont want to buy an iphone. been there, done that and extremely happy Nokia Lumia owner today. Give us the flexibility of choice!

CarPlay is effectively AirPlay to your console screen on your car. The difference is the touch interface generated allowing the phone to be shown in a special interface on the car's console. There is a framework in the console to meet Apple's specs I'm sure but it's nothing more than boiled down to h.264 video streaming (encrypted) with VNC type of feedback to the virtual UI running on the phone. So in effect, it becomes quite easy for the car manufactures (and I'm sure 3rd party add on ones in the future) to add this support. It can and will co-exist nicely with the standalone console and all they want to include. There isn't going to be a manufacture that is making it depend to use CarPlay. That is simply non sense.

I'd be completely shocked if Tesla doesn't announce CarPlay support with a firmware update (v6.0?) and be the first to add the support for it. It is smart for them, smart for their customers and the touchscreen begs to be used in such a way. All current offers will continue to stay and be available (and improved) and I would suspect that when Google gets around to (copying) adding it, Tesla will also add support for Google's.

I'd be completely shocked if Tesla doesn't announce CarPlay support with a firmware update (v6.0?) and be the first to add the support for it. It is smart for them, smart for their customers and the touchscreen begs to be used in such a way. All current offers will continue to stay and be available (and improved) and I would suspect that when Google gets around to (copying) adding it, Tesla will also add support for Google's.

Indeed, for Tesla, this could simply be a software update. For many other cars, you only would get an upgrade like this with a new vehicle.

It occurred to me, as well, that being the first to provide support to customers would be a major PR win and really drive home the advantages of their update strategy. Something like, "Other car markers are delivering cars with support in 2014, but we're delivering them now, AND all existing Model S will be updated shortly over the air." Probably wishful thinking, but it'd certainly get them a positive news cycle or two.

As far as I see it, there's absolutely no downside (well, except for development costs and support issues) to Tesla offering CarPlay as an available app, and offer the equivalent google function.

None of these replace the native car OS, so you could easily just configure your center screen toolbar to not show CarPlay, etc.

I'd imagine a preferences panel showing if you want Tesla OS or CarPlay or Android mode to handle the calls, contacts, Bluetooth media, navigation, voice commands. That way the car knows what app should handle what function. If the phone is not present then it reverts to Tesla OS.

The major upside is that it will allow a wider range of software options on the main screen - and independent developers can iterate that part of the experience quickly (add a podcast app, Spotify, etc.) without waiting for Tesla firmware updates.

Yes, I know Tesla plans it's own APIs for app development, but that's a couple years out still, and there will not be anywhere near the volume of developers and apps like iOS and Android.

For what it's worth I have emailed ownership to ask them to add CarPlay.

Unfortunately, I also think it's telling that Tesla is not on the marquee list of manufacturers. It's a shame that the most advanced car with the best touch screen isn't a launch partner. As others have said, offering this upgrade to existing cars over the air is yet another stellar demonstration of how Tesla adds value even after purchase. I really, really hope they add CarPlay!

Please allow me to add a few details into this somehow heated debate.

Should we have a way to display an iPhone (or iPad) content in one half of our Tesla's display ? Definitely YES !!!

And since this is a CarPlay specific thread i will only talk about Apple issues and let Android discussions go into another thread.

There are two Apple technologies closely related :

- CarPlay is a way to display a simplified version of iOS into a car thru a wired connection (at first) with a tactile feedback from the car screen (or controls)
This is what everybody's talking about and i think it's great... but somehow limited in a typical Apple way where they choose what apps they will allow to work.

Now there's something even better that Tesla could easily integrate as well :

- AirPlay : This is a technology that works on many more iPhones and that sends some Apps contents or even better does a screen mirroring of the phone's display no matter which app is running.
This works on wired and Wifi connections.

The main advantage is that is very easy to implement and the video is displayed in a window in a totally harmless way for the car. There are some Mac Apps like 'Reflector' or 'Air Server' that show You how it works on any Mac and several Internet DSL box providers in France have also implemented this technology with a mere software upgrade.

Maybe Tesla could license one of this two already working technologies and adapt them to the car's OS.

The main advantage is that You can send anything ranging from Your own favorite navigation App to any video from Youtube or any movie that You have on Your phone.
The only drawback with the basic implementation is that You have to control everything from the phone and You don't use the tactile feedback (i can live with that)

The second step would be to implement a layer on top of the displayed content to allow for feedback from the car's screen, but that could come in a second release... if needed.

This would be an easy basic start that would meet Elon's projected mode feature.

So to sum it up :

- CarPlay : why not.
- AirPlay : YES please and could You do it asap, You brilliant Tesla developers ?

Kind regards,

Elie

Last edited:
Only phones using the lightning connector support it. I'm guessing it requires the phone is plugged in.
Volvo's press release states that wifi will be supported also... CarPlay Shown Off in New Promo Video from Volvo, Wi-Fi Connections Coming Soon - Mac Rumors

For what it's worth I have emailed ownership to ask them to add CarPlay.
I have also. All of you who want this should also email Ownership and ask for it -- let them know we want it.

- CarPlay is a way to display a simplified version of iOS into a car thru a wired connection (at first) with a tactile feedback from the car screen (or controls)
This is what everybody's talking about and i think it's great... but somehow limited in a typical Apple way where they choose what apps they will allow to work.

Now there's something even better that Tesla could easily integrate as well :

- AirPlay : This is a technology that works on many more iPhones and that sends some Apps contents or even better does a screen mirroring of the phone's display no matter which app is running.
This works on wired and Wifi connections.

Do you realize that CarPlay is an enhanced version of AirPlay that adds an input/touch layer to control from the car's display? CarPlay is not a slimmed down version of iOS, but instead a protocol for displaying your iOS device on the car's screen, plus adds a way to control the apps.

AirPlay alone doesn't give touch or other input, it just displays the screen remotely. I highly doubt Apple would license AirPlay for use in a car since it would still require all input to be on the phone -- which is a safety issue (not that many of us don't do that already for Bluetooth audio or podcasts...)

If you remember back when AirPlay rolled out, Apple chose certain apps to showcase the capability -- those apps could stream video to an AppleTV. They also gave developers a way to add it to other apps -- and it was up to the developers to add the capability and now most video apps can use Airplay, and Apple has added screen mirroring at the device level. Looks like Apple is taking the same approach with CarPlay -- I suspect they will provide developers the API at this year's WWDC...

Tesla's top priority should continue to be the platform changes Musk announced months ago - to add Android support and the App store. With a published and supported API and a supported App Store, that should provide the opportunity not only for Tesla to bring out new features, such as iPhone or Android integration - but also allow 3rd parties to do the same. In the long run, this open platform environment should provide a better solution - and allow Tesla to support a much broader cross-section of the mobile device market (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone?, Tizen?, Blackberry?, ...).

The only obstacle could be if Apple refuses to support full integration on open system platforms - and insists full integration is only supported on their platforms...

I hope Tesla stays away from Apple's CarPlay. I do not trust Apple nor do I think they grok the automobile UX.

Also, from a strategic standpoint, everything Apple does is aimed at selling hardware. Apple hardware. Software, apps, content: always there to sell more hardware. How is CarPlay strategic for Apple if tbere's no hardware angle?

I hope Tesla stays away from Apple's CarPlay. I do not trust Apple nor do I think they grok the automobile UX.

Also, from a strategic standpoint, everything Apple does is aimed at selling hardware. Apple hardware. Software, apps, content: always there to sell more hardware. How is CarPlay strategic for Apple if tbere's no hardware angle?

Because as Apple knows, 3rd-party support is an important selling point. If you can't make easy use of your device while driving, its value is diminished. Apples wants to sell you a walled garden and CarPlay gets your car in the walls.

I don't see Tesla pushing for it, because it suits Tesla better to provide the API and let the market handle market fragmentation.

All well and good but if Tesla switches to iOS/CarPlay -- and face it, Apple is pushing this as an OS, not an app, but an operating system -- this will be a detriment to the abilty of Tesla to be agile, provide fast updates, etc. I think it would be insane for Tesla to surrender control of the UI/UX of their own products to Apple, who do not play nice and force you into their walled garden where you have to play on their terms.

I would prefer Tesla to stay independent, and let Apple and Google and everyone else develop apps galore using Tesla's app environment/platform/UI/UX.

Also, iOS7 is a disaster UI-wise, and could be dangerous in a car, given its absurd design motif (extra thin fonts, light font colors on light backgrounds, difficult-to-understand/decipher icons, etc).

Ugh. I own tons of Apple equipment and I'm typing this on a Mac but, dag-nab-it, if Apple steps foot in my Tesla I am gonna be steaming mad.

All well and good but if Tesla switches to iOS/CarPlay -- and face it, Apple is pushing this as an OS, not an app, but an operating system -- this will be a detriment to the abilty of Tesla to be agile, provide fast updates, etc. I think it would be insane for Tesla to surrender control of the UI/UX of their own products to Apple, who do not play nice and force you into their walled garden where you have to play on their terms.

I would prefer Tesla to stay independent, and let Apple and Google and everyone else develop apps galore using Tesla's app environment/platform/UI/UX.

Also, iOS7 is a disaster UI-wise, and could be dangerous in a car, given its absurd design motif (extra thin fonts, light font colors on light backgrounds, difficult-to-understand/decipher icons, etc).

Ugh. I own tons of Apple equipment and I'm typing this on a Mac but, dag-nab-it, if Apple steps foot in my Tesla I am gonna be steaming mad.

Brian -
This has nothing to do with asking Tesla to "switch". CarPlay is NOT an OS for the car. All it is is a way to display an iOS device's screen on a car's display, plus allow the car's display to provide touch and knob input to the iOS device. Its more than just a screen mirror too -- where the apps are formatted for the host display.

Tesla in no way would surrender their UI/UX. Look at the Volvo video -- as it shows the Volvo UI/UX overlaying CarPlay (they show a temperature change). This would be one app window displayed on the Tesla screen in addition to all the existing interface (and or whatever improvements/changes Tesla makes going forward). There likely would have to be an preferences option to allow CarPlay or Tesla's stock UI for things like phone control -- which may complicate things...

This would also not lock Tesla into Apple-only. Many of the automakers on Apple's CarPlay partner list are also working with Google. Its in the carmaker's best interest to support more than just Apple devices. The way I see it is that you'd have 3 possible scenarios for connecting a device to the Tesla:
1) Existing bluetooth phone / audio capability.
2) CarPlay for iOS devices
3) Google's car-focused offering (even fewer details on this are avail than for CarPlay...)

Tesla's top priority should continue to be the platform changes Musk announced months ago - to add Android support and the App store. With a published and supported API and a supported App Store, that should provide the opportunity not only for Tesla to bring out new features, such as iPhone or Android integration - but also allow 3rd parties to do the same. In the long run, this open platform environment should provide a better solution - and allow Tesla to support a much broader cross-section of the mobile device market (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone?, Tizen?, Blackberry?, ...).

The only obstacle could be if Apple refuses to support full integration on open system platforms - and insists full integration is only supported on their platforms...

When you have only 20,000 or 30,000 customers as your target, how many developers will care about the platform?
Any app for Tesla would need to be customized to fit the environment.

I'm not too optimistic that we would end up with a good solution. In addition, doing Android emulation (since the Tesla is not running Android) concerns me. This is not like running BlueStacks on a powerful PC or Mac where you can actually run an Android variant.

I'd much rather see them support CarPlay and Android's equivalent whose markets will be orders of magnitude larger.

And just saw ZBB's post which I agree with 100%.

Just because there's an app development ecosystem does not mean there will be a vibrant community of developers or companies building applications for it.

Look at Windows Phone, or BlackBerry, for example.

Both have FAR more potential customers (millions) than Tesla can provide (yes, even when Gen III shows up) and both their ecosystems are struggling by comparison to iOS and Android.

Apple will only make CarPlay available through their devices. Look to Google to introduce a similar method of screen casting (which is really what CarPlay is, plus input support). Then, there's your "open". Same concept will apply, but instead of a "CarPlay" button it could just say "Smartphone" or whatever.

This is our best chance of having broad application support, not via Tesla creating their own ecosystem. It also isolates the car from any application crashes or issues with compatibility, and, makes things a lot easier on Tesla.

Look at Spotify as an example. Not interested in the Model S even though they were approached, but with CarPlay, they are available across multiple automobile brands and vehicles.

The anti-Apple rhetoric (not singling you or anyone out in particular) is tiresome. This is a good thing for car infotainment systems in general. Apple has the consumer muscle to make a go of this. Few other companies do.

Apple isn't trying to take over the UI. Far from it. You can toggle back and forth.

See this excellent video walking through CarPlay on a Ferrari FF:

How CarPlay Works In A Ferrari FF, And How Apple Will Push New Third-Party Apps To The System | TechCrunch

The CarPlay UI could nicely fit within one of the two panes in the Tesla.