Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 be your first American car?

Will Model 3 be your first American car?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a European I would never ever have considered any american car ever. In my country they are mostly seen (whether deserving or not) as trash on wheels with low build quality and way too expensive.

[...]

Personally I think the Tesla feels more European than most american cars, but it is a bit too big in Europe.

+1000

Same here. Ask most people in Germany and you would get the almost same sentiment as in Denmark. The only difference being that over here, American cars are not seen as way too expensive, quite the contrary. They are rather seen as cheap trash on wheels. It's a bit like that Top Gear piece where JC tests an F150 and explains why these kinds of cars just don't sell over in Europe (not just pickups by the way).

Tesla cars don't look like what we have come to expect from American cars, and more importantly they don't feel like that either.
Imagine a line of cars:

Audi A7
BMW 6-series
Merc CLS
Tesla Model S
Porsche Panamera
Jaguar XJ
Maserati Quattroporte

Then ask someone from Germany to spot the American car. Most people would have a very hard time, or even think it's a trick question as in there is no American car in that lineup.

Oh and I see I forgot to answer the question, but I guess it's obvious: yes, the Model 3 will be my first car by an American automaker. And actually I am quite happy about that, because a true American car that is also a great car is something very special that not many people over here have (except current Tesla owners of course :)).

As a European I would never ever have considered any american car ever. In my country they are mostly seen (whether deserving or not) as trash on wheels with low build quality and way too expensive.

Probably the same in Sweden, although not necessarily expensive, just low quality.

But i'm not a big fan of patriotism, i wouldn't be proud if i bought a Volvo only because it was designed/built in Sweden, and i don't really care about Tesla being an american built car. The reason why i like Tesla, and why that is a global thing, is that they're doing this for the right reasons.

Some cynics might think otherwise but just look at Elon and JB on the last shareholder meeting. The passion in what they're doing. You can't fake that.

Maybe i should end this rambling/rant by answering the question, yes, this will be my first Tesla :)

Tesla Model 3 won't be my first American electric car. Might not be my first Tesla, I don't know yet.

I'm in a similar boat but on the other side of the fence. I perceive euro cars as poorly designed, too thirsty, unreliable, and more expensive to maintain.

If a Tesla had a BMW/Audi/MB badge on the grill, I'd never consider it for a second.

Sidebar - Many Daewoos are Chevrolets, many have American drivelines, many have high US content. Daewoo and Chevrolet have always been related AFAIK. Did your Daewoos have American drivelines?

I don't think most countries in the world other than Canada get many real American cars, and if they do, they don't get them at fair market price. Have you even driven late model Corvette? (about 48.500 euros converted, 343kW, 8.11 L/100km, and a solid competitor to a 911 base model around a race course.)

Here's what we see in the way of American built cars in the US:

Full sized pickup trucks.
SUVs in all sizes, shapes, and prices.
Sedans as large or larger than BMW 3xx.
Cheap and powerful performance cars.

Small cars are actually poor sellers in the US, and always have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luke42
Nope. I was from a lower-middle class single parent home in the mid-90s.

Pontiac Phoenix, Olds Cutlass, Chevy Cavalier, Chevy Corsica, 4-cylinder Mustang....

EDIT: forgot the Jeep Cherokee, Chevy HHR, OTHER Cavalier, and the Dodge Neon.

This will be the 1st ENJOYABLE American car, though.

:rolleyes:

All things considered, I think my Audi, Audi, Tesla stretch of vehicles is fairly impressive, when put up against my more *ahem* humble vehicular beginnings.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Gotta change my answer! Forgot about the first car I learned to drive on: '97 Pontiac Sunfire. It was my parents' but I used to enough to consider it mine before I got a car of my own. After that: Honda, Subaru, Scion, Infiniti, Nissan, Mazda, Model S, with a couple Japanese motorcycles thrown in.

This will be my first American car in 30 years. My last was a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am (midnight blue with gold bird). Beautiful car, but what a piece of crap. I traded up to a Honda CRX Si in 1986. That little car would move, but then again, it only weighed just over 2000 lbs.

Can we vote on the shittiest American car owned? A 1977 Chevy Vega. :eek: Well, my parents technically owned it, but I drove it, unfortunately, until the head gasket blew on me, adding a lovely plume of white smoke to the blue smoke already streaming out of the tail pipe. :mad: Enjoyed the ensuing 30 minute drive home in the wrecker. :(

Since then there were many more Hondas, a few Toyotas and a couple of Mazdas. Can't wait to "drive American" again!! But like a million times better!! :D

Can we vote on the shittiest American car owned? A 1977 Chevy Vega. :eek: Well, my parents technically owned it, but I drove it, unfortunately, until the head gasket blew on me, adding a lovely plume of white smoke to the blue smoke already streaming out of the tail pipe. :mad: Enjoyed the ensuing 30 minute drive home in the wrecker. :(

I see your 1977 Chevy Vega, and raise you a 1984 Pontiac Phoenix (not actual picture, as I'm sure the actual car was crushed about 20 years ago).

31796240028_original.jpg
[/QUOTE]

• Funny
Reactions: Mad Hungarian
A lot of Chevy for me but my daily driver for the last 5 years has been Japanese.

Chevy Cavalier
Nissan Pulsar
Ford Mustang Convertible
Cadillac STS
Chevy Blazer
Chevy Caprice
GMC Jimmy
Pontiac Grand Prix
GMC Envoy - Totaled it after 5 weeks
Chevy S-10 (Extra Vehicle)
Lexus IS (Current Vehicle)

Nope. Have owned at various times a Pontiac (Fiero), Ford (Probe), Acura (NSX), Audi (A4 and A6), Volkswagen (Jetta), and Tesla (Model S). Yeah, not a lot of brand loyalty in there. But prior to the Model S the last American car I bought was in the 1980s... so make of that what you will!

In the last 26 years:

Me: Oldsmobile, Saturn, Triumph, Audi, Porsche, GMC, Chevrolet, Porsche, Mini (still own last 3) - 44% US
Wife: Saturn, Saturn, Subaru (Indiana built Outback; still own) - 100% US