Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi and LTE Keeps Flipping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, same here. Back and forth between LTE and wifi (when it connects to wifi at all).

Earlier this week I installed a wifi extender on the wall in front of the car about 1.5m from the car's wifi antenna. Measured the signal strength at the antenna and it's very strong. But the car continues to drop wifi for LTE.

Oddly if I keep the driver door open the car seems to stay with wifi but obviously not a real fix.

Rang the Tesla help desk. They said once in the garage and on wifi it should stay on wifi as long as a wifi signal is present.

I've an appointment at the local service center in a few days. Hopefully they will find and fix what wrong.
Service center could not fix the wifi on my new P100D.

I finally got it to work a while back on a separate 2.4GHz. With both cars on v9 (which sucks by the way), just noticed the new MCU one started going in the continuous reconnect loop. I think I'll just take the cars off of WiFi since my wife can't connect to the car to pre-heat it when the thing keeps cycling WiFi-LTE. I'm kind of tired of having to constantly chase WiFi connectivity issues - no other device in the house has any problems, and the access point for the cars is mounted few feet above the cars on the garage ceiling.

How on earth is a company like Tesla going to achieve a robust self driving product if they can't even get WiFi working as well as even a cheap $30 WiFi enabled camera? They've had 6 years to do it.

Reactions: gt2690b
I was told by the service center the wifi should not be used on public wifi, as it may be hacked. Horrible excuse for wifi problems
I am not using it on public WiFi. Private network with nothing else but 2 Tesla cars on it. Still experiencing problems.

As for the comment about hacking comment, that's scary. What if someone's home network is hacked, does that put the car in danger?

Last edited:
An update, found a really weird symptom. So my old MCU car was connected solid, but the new one starting acting up at nights. So, while it was acting out, I was playing around with various settings like changing local subnet in case it somehow collides with the VPN address space Tesla uses - grasping at straws. Then out of desperation, created a new WiFi network to see whether maybe two Teslas on the same WiFi network are causing an issue and suddenly the new MCU stopped looping, connected to the original WiFi network (not the new one I created) and stayed connected. So, I figured another intermittent Tesla software behavior, so I disabled the new network thinking I will come back to it next time it flakes out, and then the new MCU started having problems connecting again! I re-enabled the new network, new MCU stopped crapping out again (on the original network, not the new one just created/re-enabled)!

So, it seems that Tesla WiFi connection flakeout depends on how many other WiFi networks are discovered at the same time. I am wondering whether Tesla just never tested their WiFi in an urban environment with a shitload of access points available in the area (my access points report "seeing" 129 different wifi networks in the last 24 hrs), and maybe whoever they hired to do the software didn't allocate enough memory to manage that many networks - possibly they corrupt each other and by adding one more my old network went into some different memory slot which was not being corrupted.

Last edited: