Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE connectivity issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure if I’m having a software or hardware issue but I’ve recently lost LTE connectivity in my 2021 MYP running software v2023.12.5. The car will connect to my home WIFI without issues but now when I drive off it’ll take several minutes before it will connect to 3G. When it does connect to 3G it’s not stable and will disconnect and reconnect during my drive.

I have attempted to restart the system by holding down both scroll wheels. I’ve done this several times without success. I’ve even gone as far as powering down the car in the main menu under SYSTEM.

I’m not sure if anyone is having issues but I think this started when I updated the car to the latest version.

Oh I’m located in Vancouver BC Canada.

Reactions: Choncho
The YouTuber Dirty Tesla had a hardware connectivity issue with one of his cars. There have also been connectivity issues reported by a number of people in Great Britain which is probably related to losing LTE coverage or slow Tesla servers.

Several people in the US have reported problems with Spotify being slow to connect recently. I've had this problem and I'm still on 2023.6.8. So I don't think you're experiencing a software problem. It's probably either hardware in your car or lack of signal/servers. If you have a friend with a Tesla, you could see if they have the same connectivity issues you have in the same locations. If not then you probably have a hardware problem.

If you car is still under warranty then you might want to put in a service request before the warranty expires. If you're not under time pressure then you can wait and see if the problem goes away in a week or two.

I’m also having this issue.

There way be a few things going on.

Switching from Wi-Fi to cell it’s not uncommon for it to drop when switching. Especially if you have a strong wifi that can be connected to (somewhat) as you go down the street.

I switch to Apple Music recently but Spotify is supposed to be a custom app and it’s supposed to be going away and replaced with something more web based. This could be (partially?) related. See below.

While on Apple Music I’ve noticed more issues than with Spotify over the last few years. Apple Music is supposed to not be a custom app but web based? Part of the problem with Apple Music is that it doesn’t pre-buffer as much as Spotify. This could be part of the transition for Spotify as well. Also the handoff from Wi-Fi to cell is horrible. I’ve had days where it won’t connect to Apple Music at all. Even rebooting the car won’t fix it. Other drives it works fine except for the handoff which usually takes a few minutes to get the buffer up.

I’m also having this issue.

There way be a few things going on.

Switching from Wi-Fi to cell it’s not uncommon for it to drop when switching. Especially if you have a strong wifi that can be connected to (somewhat) as you go down the street.

I switch to Apple Music recently but Spotify is supposed to be a custom app and it’s supposed to be going away and replaced with something more web based. This could be (partially?) related. See below.

While on Apple Music I’ve noticed more issues than with Spotify over the last few years. Apple Music is supposed to not be a custom app but web based? Part of the problem with Apple Music is that it doesn’t pre-buffer as much as Spotify. This could be part of the transition for Spotify as well. Also the handoff from Wi-Fi to cell is horrible. I’ve had days where it won’t connect to Apple Music at all. Even rebooting the car won’t fix it. Other drives it works fine except for the handoff which usually takes a few minutes to get the buffer up.
It’s funny you mentioned this about Apple Music…the problem all started from an on going issue with the Apple Music player itself. For some strange reason many times when getting back into my car, Apple Music doesn’t continue to play where it left off. The car simply keeps indicating “source not found”. I would need to switch between music sources like FM radio or Tesla music streaming and back to Apple Music. Sometimes this fixes the issue but many times it doesn’t and so I reboot the car. Before my latest software update to 2023.12.5 rebooting resolved the issue but this time it screwed up my connectivity. It simply will not connect to LTE and if it does decide to connect it’ll only connect via 3G as per my original post with attached picture.

I also forgot to mention that I am subscribed to Premium Connectivity and I’ve driven around town to ensure it’s not a localized cell tower issue.

Same problem with me. Started yesterday. No LTE what so ever. Just 3G if I am lucky As there is sometimes no connectivity at all. Opened a service call for this. Also noticed that FSD Beta is doing erratic things. Don’t know if it is related.
located in lower mainland of BC

Like not going in correct lanes when it needs to turn or suddenly moving out of correct lanes. Odd things.

It’s been doing that since they dropped it to us. Just gets better, usually, with each release.

I drove better back at 16 than FSD drives now.

But I still love it and will get it again. As long as it’s no longer $10K+ at that time.

The only reason I haven’t replaced my Tesla is I refuse to pay current FSD pricing.

Noticed the issue starting for me yesterday. It's affecting both my Model 3 and Model Y. No LTE, only 3G and even dropped to Edge. It seems like car is connected to Rogers and Not Telus as Telus does not have an Edge network so not sure if car is roaming to Rogers.

Have done multiple resets of cars and still no LTE.

I'm located in Surrey, BC

Wondering if this just a bug in the newer software versions or are the cell providers shutting down and / or switching to different tech.

I know I had that later issue with my Audi A7. Something like T-Mobile dropping 3G which was all the car had and Audi having to warranty / recall to swap out the module for a 4G one.

I have put in a service request. This was the reply I received from Tesla

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 4.42.06 PM.png

I went ahead and put in a serial service call as I’m still under warranty. Let’s see if did a different answer and if they just do a remote log in or send mobile service to check out the car.

Likely unrelated but I’m so hoping at some point they run out of the Intel MCU units and I can get a Ryzen unit put in under warranty.