Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

connecting the tesla app to the car - first time - issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i finally got my documentation so want to connect the app to the car. the car has been connected to my phone via bluetooth and home wifi.

on the app i "add product vehicle", then start and add my VIN number. the app tells me to go to software, change the name of the vehicle which i do and then save. at this point there is an error message saying the vehicle needs to be connected to Wifi or LTE. It is connected to my home Wifi and i tested the browser to make sure.

so what is going wrong here? i tried it 6 times and gave up

I am surprised Tesla didn’t connect the car to your phone when you picked it up. Have you connected the Key Card to your phone. I would attempt that but first make sure the Tesla App is 100% current. I have noticed that for IOS, the Tesla App has not been updating, even though I have auto updates turned on and I have to go into purchased apps and manually update it. Perhaps start there and if not working, contact Tesla. Sorry, I don’t know about Android.

this is my first tesla and it is second hand so i have had no help and am trying to figure this all out with youtube and this forum.

i am looking at the tesla app and i can add a vehicle but not a keycard. the vehicle doesn't want to do much until it is talking to the app so what do i do per your suggestion, thanks

have tried this again on at my work with the wifi connected. same issue, so i turned off the wifi and the controls say the car is connected to LTE but when i try and add the car to the app and get the same message that the car is not connect..........what am i missing here

have tried this again on at my work with the wifi connected. same issue, so i turned off the wifi and the controls say the car is connected to LTE but when i try and add the car to the app and get the same message that the car is not connect..........what am i missing here
I suspect that the VIN number of your vehicle is still assigned to the previous owner? If a SC is nearby bring all your paperwork confirming that you are the new owner and perhaps someone at the SC can assist you?
Good luck.