Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would I need Powerwall+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Powerwalls store energy as DC electricity and supply the home with AC electricity. Thus, all Powerwalls must be equipped with an inverter. If I connect my solar panels directly to the Powerwall then the DC from the solar can directly charge the Powerwall without need for an inverter. Thus, I’m confused as to the purpose of Powerwall+. Can someone explain?

Seems inefficient no? The inverter has to covert DC from solar to AC, but then the Powerwall has to reverse the process and convert AC to DC to charge the batteries.
I agree with you. It would be much more efficient if Tesla created a DC bus for all the DC items. Heck I would like to have a circuit in my house that is DC to drive LEDs and other DC (chargers?) based items too.

Kind of bigger than just Tesla and just shows how the world is no longer in the invention stage like it was in the late 1800's to early 1900's.

Reactions: apacheguy
There was briefly a DC Powerwall, but I'm guessing it's easier for Tesla to just standardize on the AC Powerwall since it will work in all installations.

Interesting that they used to make a DC Powerwall. Do other battery storage solutions for solar offer DC input? I’m new to this area and am not familiar with the range of solar battery storage products available.

Interesting that they used to make a DC Powerwall. Do other battery storage solutions for solar offer DC input? I’m new to this area and am not familiar with the range of solar battery storage products available.
Yes. They are very popular with off grid applications; homes, boats, rvs, and cars...

For home backup DC gets you into the issue of defining "bus voltage"; is it 48V, 150V, or 600V, or...? Inverters need a defined voltage input range, and generally speaking the wider it gets, the less efficient the inverter is.

Using batteries with built-in inverters is a one size fits (almost) everyone approach and allows the manufacturer to scale production easily.

@Transformer @cali8484 what are the LG and SolarEdge whole home BESS that are the equivalent of a Tesla Powerwall? Im particularly interested in the spec sheets. A cursory inspection of their websites wasn’t very helpful.
See LG Home Battery Info on the LG RESU Prime batteries.

See SolarEdge Home Hub Inverter and SolarEdge HD-Wave Inverters on SolarEdge home inverters.

The Energy Show podcast has episodes Which Batteries Are The Best For Your Home? (Feb 7, 2023) and Lessons Learned Installing Battery Storage (Sep 26, 2023). I haven't yet listed to the second one which includes Barry Cinnamon's favorites out of 100 battery company and system vendors:

Enphase is best for small systems.
FranklinWH is best for fast installations and whole home backup.
SolarEdge has the most efficient system, and can install the most battery capacity in the smallest space.
And Tesla is currently the least expensive and has a well-known brand name.

I found this LG unit but it’s not clear if it’s DC coupled. Hard to tell what the PCS is doing. Is it feeding the battery with DC from solar?

LG is a large global conglomerate so they have various products for different regions. The one you found looks like it's for EU. The LG home battery that's common for the US is the RESU/Prime (Product Info|LG Home Battery). You need to pair it with a compatible hybrid string inverter (e.g. SolarEdge, SMA, Growatt, etc.) that would replace with your existing grid-only string inverter.