Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla dont want us to purchase their cars? What we are doing wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I were debating purchasing a new M3 or used MS,we created 2 treads here asking for your opinion.
In the end we decided to buy them both!
$100k+ purchase.
We have sent 2 emails trough Tesla website asking for more info (M3 new car) and used their online chat 3 times for MS car info.
After 10 days ZERO response from Tesla!
Tesla chat response was always "We will notify our sales team and will be back to you,what is your phone number and email".
We know about Tesla issues with their service centers,cars, we know about delivery problems ,....
And we still like their cars.
But I didn't expect to have problems at this stage already.
Why they dont care about us?
Are we asking too much ? ( like where used MS is located?)
This is simply unacceptable.
We have appointment tomorrow at Tesla show room about new M3 but they already said they cant help us with used MS. Really?

Buying used from Tesla is so, SO frustrating!

I ended buying mine and flying down to Vegas for pickup, then drove it back home to salt lake.
I tried asking questions to the new car sales people but was told, not too friendly like that they don't sell used and couldn't help me. Those same twerps were selling nothing but used just months before. It was a very piss off attitude.
So then it was the website sales. I kept seeing loads of cars in the same places, Vegas being one of them. I thought, well Vegas is close. I can fly down, see some cars and drive one home.
Lol......
I emailed the used sales advisor and called the Vegas Tesla store asked if I couldn't just come and look. There were a dozen cars located in Vegas that I might be interested in. Nope. Not how it works. They aren't in a car lot, but in a warehouse. Ok.. What about if I pick out a car, but something's not right? Could I just go look at any of the other cars in the warehouse? Nope. Not how it works.
I'll give you a $2k down payment! Just let me look at some cars!
Nope. Not how it works.
So frustrating.
I keep being told that they are reshaping the way car sales are done and that there are growing pains. That it is better..... but it is asinine! It's unbelievable that they can't muster even the pretense of caring, or provide even the smallest amount of customer service especially when you're spending so much for their product.

After all was said and done, I absolutely love my car. But it was painful and frustrating every step of the way. It's still frustrating. I still don't have the title after 7 months. Slacker radio won't authenticate. Small stupid stuff, but every email has been answered by crickets.

On a bright side, my service center experience has been very good. Could be I'm just lucky, but so far service has been 1,000% better than sales were.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My wife and I were debating purchasing a new M3 or used MS,we created 2 treads here asking for your opinion.
In the end we decided to buy them both!
$100k+ purchase.
We have sent 2 emails trough Tesla website asking for more info (M3 new car) and used their online chat 3 times for MS car info.
After 10 days ZERO response from Tesla!
Tesla chat response was always "We will notify our sales team and will be back to you,what is your phone number and email".
We know about Tesla issues with their service centers,cars, we know about delivery problems ,....
And we still like their cars.
But I didn't expect to have problems at this stage already.
Why they dont care about us?
Are we asking too much ? ( like where used MS is located?)
This is simply unacceptable.
We have appointment tomorrow at Tesla show room about new M3 but they already said they cant help us with used MS. Really?

Unacceptable? This is Tesla, not Amazon. Musk is disrupting the old fashioned notion of "customer service" by limiting communication between customer and company. It's a long term strategy to sell as many cars now without worrying about repeat purchases because, hey, they already have your money, and by demographic, count on you being a Cult member for life. Like Jobs said, "It's magical!" Be happy they even allow you to own their car.

Buying used from Tesla is so, SO frustrating!

I ended buying mine and flying down to Vegas for pickup, then drove it back home to salt lake.
I tried asking questions to the new car sales people but was told, not too friendly like that they don't sell used and couldn't help me. Those same twerps were selling nothing but used just months before. It was a very piss off attitude.
So then it was the website sales. I kept seeing loads of cars in the same places, Vegas being one of them. I thought, well Vegas is close. I can fly down, see some cars and drive one home.
Lol......
I emailed the used sales advisor and called the Vegas Tesla store asked if I couldn't just come and look. There were a dozen cars located in Vegas that I might be interested in. Nope. Not how it works. They aren't in a car lot, but in a warehouse. Ok.. What about if I pick out a car, but something's not right? Could I just go look at any of the other cars in the warehouse? Nope. Not how it works.
I'll give you a $2k down payment! Just let me look at some cars!
Nope. Not how it works.
So frustrating.
I keep being told that they are reshaping the way car sales are done and that there are growing pains. That it is better..... but it is asinine! It's unbelievable that they can't muster even the pretense of caring, or provide even the smallest amount of customer service especially when you're spending so much for their product.

After all was said and done, I absolutely love my car. But it was painful and frustrating every step of the way. It's still frustrating. I still don't have the title after 7 months. Slacker radio won't authenticate. Small stupid stuff, but every email has been answered by crickets.

On a bright side, my service center experience has been very good. Could be I'm just lucky, but so far service has been 1,000% better than sales were.

But now you cant tell where used cars are located. I don't want to pay $2000 shipping if same care is locally. I just need that confirmation. But no, I cant get hold of anyone at Tesla.
And when I select my zip code in search I get all cars with CA licence plate and im in NV. That tells me they are not here.
And you are right , Tesla showroom sales people hate to be asked about used vehicles

Unacceptable? This is Tesla, not Amazon. Musk is disrupting the old fashioned notion of "customer service" by limiting communication between customer and company. It's a long term strategy to sell as many cars now without worrying about repeat purchases because, hey, they already have your money, and by demographic, count on you being a Cult member for life. Like Jobs said, "It's magical!" Be happy they even allow you to own their car.

I know about that, I know about all problems people have with their cars, and we still want to get one, actually two !
But we need just one phone CALL or EMAIL from them ! Call that will give them our $100k !!!

But now you cant tell where used cars are located. I don't want to pay $2000 shipping if same care is locally. I just need that confirmation. But no, I cant get hold of anyone at Tesla.
And when I select my zip code in search I get all cars with CA licence plate and im in NV. That tells me they are not here.
And you are right , Tesla showroom sales people hate to be asked about used vehicles

don’t base the license plate off where the car ACTUALLY is! My used Tesla had a Georgia plate on it and it was in Dallas in fact spent its entire life in Dallas. Until you put $ down you won’t get any info. I look at the $2k transport fee kind of like Tesla charging you the $1900 for destination fee for new It’s to bring it to you. Cleaning the car etc. when we were looking at used cars we went with what we wanted over where the car was located. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Sherlo
don’t base the license plate off where the car ACTUALLY is! My used Tesla had a Georgia plate on it and it was in Dallas in fact spent its entire life in Dallas. Until you put $ down you won’t get any info. I look at the $2k transport fee kind of like Tesla charging you the $1900 for destination fee for new It’s to bring it to you. Cleaning the car etc. when we were looking at used cars we went with what we wanted over where the car was located. Just my two cents.

Yes but as I said I don't want to pay $2k transport fee if there is same car available locally.
And on top of that 80% of available cars don't have actual pictures online.
Before there was option to let them know you need more actual pictures and they would send you via email.
That option now is gone.
I know we cant see and test drive this car before ordering and now YOU CANT EVEN SEE ACTUAL PICTURES OF YOUR FUTURE CAR !!!

I noticed that too. Before you had to be emailed the pictures (they also told you where the cars were located). Then they sort of phased that out and the pictures were part of the listing. Now many are stock photos. We are buying something used and yet we cannot even see the actual car till we go to pick up and then if it is not acceptable have to cancel the order and start over?

I know about that, I know about all problems people have with their cars, and we still want to get one, actually two !
But we need just one phone CALL or EMAIL from them ! Call that will give them our $100k !!!

It's it's inconceivable, but that is what Tesla thinks of you. They also know what you will ultimately do. They can treat you like a golddigger would and you will still hand them your money. Not to start something, but do you have the same tolerance when Amazon CS hangs up on you or is inaccessible?

Welcome to Tesla, but get used to the new Customer Service. MB is going to have a truckload of new customers once they come out with a viable vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren Donovan

That's what I'm hoping for at least. In the UK the process of holding used cars at an auction house centrally and getting pictures sent only once a prospective buyer has paid a deposit it so stupid. I have had 12k tied up in deposits for 3 cars that turned out to be no good. How can anyone buy like that?

And once I found a car I wanted to go ahead with, it's been weeks since I paid the deposit, the car has been shipped and arrived at the service centre, but they haven't been able to produce an invoice or any paperwork so the car is just sitting.

All together a crazy system for everyone. And it really destroys your confidence. If I can hang in and actually complete the purchase of this car, I just hope the after sales works a whole lot better than sales and pre-sales.

Last edited:
MB is going to have a truckload of new customers once they come out with a viable vehicle.

It's the stored up customer frustration that Tesla may be underestimating. What's the logic in pushing your customers to the very brink of dispair - just because you can get away with it - only to see them walk in droves at the first chance they get!