Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't everyone as upset about the Supercharger increase as I am?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not looking forward to "paying at the pump" with the new MYP coming next week. Then again, I charge at home 95% of the time and will just have to make that 99%.

Gone are the days of 1,000 free miles for a self-referral. The referral program ended Sep 2021.
Tesla no longer needs referrals. They can't keep up with the orders they have.

As soon as my vehicle arrives, it would probably be wise to order another one. It will probably take over a year to get and who knows how many price hikes there will be before the vehicle is delivered.

Not looking forward to "paying at the pump" with the new MYP coming next week. Then again, I charge at home 95% of the time and will just have to make that 99%.

Gone are the days of 1,000 free miles for a self-referral. The referral program ended Sep 2021.
Tesla no longer needs referrals. They can't keep up with the orders they have.

As soon as my vehicle arrives, it would probably be wise to order another one. It will probably take over a year to get and who knows how many price hikes there will be before the vehicle is delivered.
But the used prices will keep going up on tesla till they can saturate the market

For most of us, Tesla has done us well. I charge at home, and that costs me less than $20 for a full "tank" of 400 miles:, but that is cheap compared to the old cost of filling up with gasoline, about $50. I don't know why you can't recommend Tesla to your friends, for even with high electric rates, the cost per mile is still about half to a fourth of the price of filling up with gas, plus you don't have to drive to a gas station and stand in the cold while your car fills.

If you feel Tesla is gouging you, you need to go buy a gas car, especially now that gas prices are higher than they've been in years. Then you'll remember all the extras you must have done, like oil changes and filters, plus the cost of having the work done at the dealer's prices. I assume the chargers you had installed allow you to fill up; for free, too, right?

Don't know why you think the price of gas "will come down". Over the years it has done nothing but go up, a little at a time. If you were old, like me, you could remember gas being a quarter a gallon. I used to fill my motorcycle for 19 cents per. You will never see those prices again.
I think you have missed the point. Tesla is great if you drive short distances and can charge at home then all of your points are valid, but if you drive long distances you need to use a supercharger or else you will be on the road for days. The cost of recharging using a supercharger on Ontario Canada is more than it costs to put gas in our Kia Optima. So for those of us in Ontario who have long commutes it is more expensive to drive a Tesla. This is why the person above cannot recomend a Tesla to his friends and why after hiring one for a week we have decided it makes no sense for us to change from our gas car to a Tesla, no matter how badly we had wanted to make the change. I think these issues might be worse in Ontario than they are elsewhere, but nevertheless it is very frustrating.

The cost of recharging using a supercharger on Ontario Canada is more than it costs to put gas in our Kia Optima.
I certainly agree that the cost of Supercharging in Canada is absurd. 95% of my charging is done at home so it’s cheap. What is the distance of your commute? It must be quite long. Over 450km roundtrip?

Am curious to know the actual numbers for you in Ontario; cost per mile for Supercharging a Tesla 3/Y compared to cost per mile for gas for your Kia.

Reactions: Big Earl
I think you have missed the point. Tesla is great if you drive short distances and can charge at home then all of your points are valid, but if you drive long distances you need to use a supercharger or else you will be on the road for days. The cost of recharging using a supercharger on Ontario Canada is more than it costs to put gas in our Kia Optima. So for those of us in Ontario who have long commutes it is more expensive to drive a Tesla. This is why the person above cannot recomend a Tesla to his friends and why after hiring one for a week we have decided it makes no sense for us to change from our gas car to a Tesla, no matter how badly we had wanted to make the change. I think these issues might be worse in Ontario than they are elsewhere, but nevertheless it is very frustrating.
Even with a long commute, you should be starting with a full battery, charged at home, each morning, so the actual cost for fueling for the commute should be tempered quite a bit. Now that new Teslas are able to use CCS stations, competition will also help.

A final piece of the puzzle is for more employers to install regular Level 2 charging.

Last edited:
A final piece of the puzzle is for more employers to install regular Level 2 charging.
True, but at a large scale I think that it is sub-optimal to have free charging during the day if that is when peak consumption occurs - so those should be paid charging. If you get free charging at work then you have an incentive to never charge at home overnight, when there is excess supply, but to charge during the day, exacerbating peak demand.

Especially in Ontario where we have excess supply overnight as our baseload comes from nukes and hydro.

The exception to this is if two way charging because a big thing and we can use the vehicle fleet as grid battery supply.

True, but at a large scale I think that it is sub-optimal to have free charging during the day if that is when peak consumption occurs - so those should be paid charging. If you get free charging at work then you have an incentive to never charge at home overnight, when there is excess supply, but to charge during the day, exacerbating peak demand.

Especially in Ontario where we have excess supply overnight as our baseload comes from nukes and hydro.

The exception to this is if two way charging because a big thing and we can use the vehicle fleet as grid battery supply.
Agreed that there is no reason for this to be free charging, although I would hope that most employers wouldn't treat it as a profit center.

• Love
Reactions: cdswm3
I certainly agree that the cost of Supercharging in Canada is absurd. 95% of my charging is done at home so it’s cheap. What is the distance of your commute? It must be quite long. Over 450km roundtrip?

Am curious to know the actual numbers for you in Ontario; cost per mile for Supercharging a Tesla 3/Y compared to cost per mile for gas for your Kia.

Even with a long commute, you should be starting with a full battery, charged at home, each morning, so the actual cost for fueling for the commute should be tempered quite a bit. Now that new Teslas are able to use CCS stations, competition will also help.

I am just curious, how long does it take to charge a Tesla using level 2 and level 3 chargers that are generic and not the tesla chargers?

Even with a long commute, you should be starting with a full battery, charged at home, each morning, so the actual cost for fueling for the commute should be tempered quite a bit.
Exactly. And that is why I asked @mpilky1 who long his/her commute is. Charge at home, leave with a nearly full or full battery and you can go 500km. Very very few people have a longer “commute” than that, and even if they do, only a fraction of the drive should require charging on the road.

Yes, charging costs in Canada are high, but not at a residence. That said, if you can’t set up charging at your home/condo/apartment an EV may not make economic sense.

Today power is cheapest at night. In a few years that's going to flip in sunny places with a large surplus of solar from 9am to 2pm, and that will be the time for charging for most people, particularly at the office (or home if car lives at home in the day.) Ontario gets less solar than more southern places but it's not that bad. Most people doing daily recharging only need 10-15kWh per day, which takes under 2 hours with 7kW charging. In general charging should be avoided from 3pm to 9pm, this is the peak of the grid and of prices.

Today power is cheapest at night. In a few years that's going to flip in sunny places with a large surplus of solar from 9am to 2pm, and that will be the time for charging for most people, particularly at the office (or home if car lives at home in the day.) Ontario gets less solar than more southern places but it's not that bad. Most people doing daily recharging only need 10-15kWh per day, which takes under 2 hours with 7kW charging. In general charging should be avoided from 3pm to 9pm, this is the peak of the grid and of prices.
But that will be seasonal in Canada. I have had solar panels for years and (on average) in December I produce about 1/6 of the power that I do in June or July.

Last edited:
But that will be seasonable in Canada. I have had solar panels for years and (on average) in December I produce about 1/6 of the power that I do in June or July.
True, though again, southern Ontario (my home province) is better than the rest of Canada on that. The solar power grid of the future needs enough power for the full year, and that means it's going to have some surplus in the morning even in winter, and a lot of surplus in the summer morning, as it must be sized for the hot summer afternoon. Though of course Ontario will have a fair bit of hydro and nukes. The nukes will have surplus at night. Hydro rarely has a "surplus" in that you can dial it up and down to demand easily, but the water flow gives you a fixed total over the season -- unless you have pumped storage in which case you store that surplus nuke and solar.

But cars are a very special and different load. They are the only large load that takes the power only when it's not using it, and can take it at whatever time of day it is cheapest as long as the car is parked where it can plug in. Almost everything else needs power when it needs it. (In the future, air conditioning with ice storage will be more flexible.)