Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the charge port in the back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except for many/most people, backing out of a parking spot is much easier than backing in. Our driveway is sloped upwards and backing into the garage is definitely more difficult and dangerous than driving straight in, especially in the winter. Arguing that backing out causes accidents seems rather silly when virtually every parking lot in the US has only spaces designed to back out of. Also, many stores that have EV charging spaces have them in angled drive-in spots. If you want to back in you need to drive the wrong way down the parking row.

You can argue that the rear camera makes backing in easier, but it also makes backing out easier and safer, so that’s really a wash.

I’d also note that having the charge port in the back means more people are likely to need a longer charging cable which has its own disadvantages.

Thanks for the diagram, @Zoomit - I note that the Kona and Ioniq have there charge ports in different places. Since Hyundai and Kia are sister companies I would have expected them to be in the same place.
Before my MY, I had a Hyundai PHEV Tucson, which had three charging port on the right rear and the gasoline port on the left rear. My charger has a long cord so it works for me on either side.
Regarding parking and backing out of parking spaces. One of the few things I miss in that Tucson PHEV is the overhead camera which really really helped with parking in tight spaces to get that perspective, and actually I missed the backup alarm which at first I thought was annoying but there's no way somebody's going to miss me backing out of a parking spot in the parking lot with this annoying backup alarm that goes off anytime I was in reverse. So I'm having to make the adjustment with my model y to get used to the different perspective of just having a rear and two side cameras as well as no notice to those around me that I'm backing up. I don't regret coming over to Tesla but I really would like an overhead camera and at least the option in settings of having a backup alarm.

All Teslas that have a PWS. A 2023 model Y absolutely makes that sound, so there is warning that it is backing up.
My 2020 LRMY has no PWS. The PWS was originally mandated for all US plug-in vehicles (includes EVs) but then COVID-19 delayed the implementation of this safety regulation. The date was put off, then on again, then off and then finally on for good.

My 2020 LRMY has no PWS. The PWS was originally mandated for all US plug-in vehicles (includes EVs) but then COVID-19 delayed the implementation of this safety regulation. The date was put off, then on again, then off and then finally on for good.

Yeah thats what I ment by my response of "All Teslas that have a PWS". Not all Teslas have a PWS, but all 2023 tesla model Ys purchased from Tesla would, so when @zoomer0056 was commenting on @ionsphere saying "There is no notice to those around me that I am backing up" being incorrect, I was agreeing with that.

Yeah thats what I ment by my response of "All Teslas that have a PWS". Not all Teslas have a PWS, but all 2023 tesla model Ys purchased from Tesla would, so when @zoomer0056 was commenting on @ionsphere saying "There is no notice to those around me that I am backing up" being incorrect, I was agreeing with that.
Well I can only say that I'm inside the car and I cannot hear anything when I'm backing up, whereas with the Tucson PHEV, I and everyone else around me, could hear the loud backup alarm, which was similar to a delivery truck back up alarm. Truly impossible to miss. If there is a backup sound happening now in my 2023 MY I can't hear it, even with the windows open.
Recently saw another incident in a parking lot with someone backing out and getting side swiped by someone who said they simply didn't see them, so it does seem important to me to be noticeable.

Well I can only say that I'm inside the car and I cannot hear anything when I'm backing up, whereas with the Tucson PHEV, I and everyone else around me, could hear the loud backup alarm, which was similar to a delivery truck back up alarm. Truly impossible to miss. If there is a backup sound happening now in my 2023 MY I can't hear it, even with the windows open.
Recently saw another incident in a parking lot with someone backing out and getting side swiped by someone who said they simply didn't see them, so it does seem important to me to be noticeable.

Listen to the first 25-30 seconds of this video. This is the sound of the PWS (pedestrian warning speaker). If you are looking for BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP, its not that. This is a model X but that doesnt matter for this, as the sound is the same for model 3 and Y that have PWS as well.

A 2023 definitely has the PWS. If yours doesnt, you need to submit a service appointment.

@jcanoe interesting. I see signs not to back in in some private parking lot stalls, and always assumed it was because they didn't want the car's exhaust discoloring the wall of the building (same reason we never backed our ICE vehicles into our own private garages).

Also, in states that don't require front plates, or in states that require front plates but there's a lot of whiny entitled owners who don't have a front plate, cars pulled in forwards always have their license plate visible.

I personally like the fact that Tesla's charge port is in the back since that is where most ICE cars have their gas refill port. The absolute worst place to place a charge port is in the front because its not good for people that don't have a pass through garage or if their garage is pretty short where there is more maneuverability in the back side and most importantly the front side is where most people get into accidents. I think people who complain about the back port are not factoring in all types of situations and most importantly how the parking situation can accommodate everyone.

The only "inconvenience" really is when you have to supercharge that you have to reverse back into the parking spot to ensure the cable can reach your charge port. But in a way it helps you because you already did the reverse action out of a parking spot and can just drive away when done.

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
Listen to the first 25-30 seconds of this video. This is the sound of the PWS (pedestrian warning speaker). If you are looking for BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP, its not that. This is a model X but that doesnt matter for this, as the sound is the same for model 3 and Y that have PWS as well.

A 2023 definitely has the PWS. If yours doesnt, you need to submit a service appointment.
Yeah I'm aware of that spaceship type sound (or I call it the angelic choir) but when you're in an open parking lot, it's not that loud, and I'm not taking about pedestrians hearing it but other drivers who are in their cabin. I think I've been pretty clear that I'm aware Tesla DOES NOT come with a back up alarm, just that I'd like one, as an optional sound to each driver as desired. As I also mentioned, I just recently witnessed another two car accident where the driver who sideswiped a car backing out stated he did not see (or hear) the car backing out of their spot (to the police taking the accident report). This was simply a hope for Tesla to include as an option in an update or in future models, not a thought that anything is at all wrong with my car. Hopefully you understand. I appreciate the low operating sound that was detailed in this video- it's part of the reason I went with Tesla in the first place. We don't need more noise in this world, unless needed in safety situations imo.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but is the issue only at charge stations? We have a wall connector on the back wall of our garage. I always back in, so it's right there. My wife can't back in, but the cable still reaches with plenty of room to spare.

Reactions: hgmichna
I didn't read through this whole thread, but is the issue only at charge stations? We have a wall connector on the back wall of our garage. I always back in, so it's right there. My wife can't back in, but the cable still reaches with plenty of room to spare.
Yes I think the OP is mainly concerned about it at charge stations which to me is not a rational reason to have it on the front bumper area since the issue can be fixed by backing in. For me it wouldn't work with a front bumper charge port for charging at home since I don't have a pass through garage and for those that have smaller garages it forces people to have to park further away from the front side of the garage to leave room for charging. If the charge port wasn't on the driver side rear, I would much rather choose to have it either on the passenger side rear or driver side front like the Mach-E over the front bumper charge port like the Leaf.

How would 2 wall ports help? We only have one car to charge.
I think the previous poster meant maybe if the car had two charge ports on the car where you can either charge on the front or rear. It seems unnecessary and adding extra cabling/weight just for an inconvenience that only makes sense for a minority.

Last edited:
Yes I think the OP is mainly concerned about it at charge stations which to me is not a rational reason to have it on the front bumper area since the issue can be fixed by backing in. For me it wouldn't work with a front bumper charge port for charging at home since I don't have a pass through garage and for those that have smaller garages it forces people to have to park further away from the front side of the garage to leave room for charging. If the charge port wasn't on the driver side rear, I would much rather choose to have it either on the passenger side rear or driver side front like the Mach-E over the front bumper charge port like the Leaf.

I think the previous poster meant maybe if the car had two charge ports on the car where you can either charge on the front or rear. It seems unnecessary and adding extra cabling/weight just for an inconvenience that only makes sense for a minority.
I’ve stated it before in the thread but I summarize again:
- backing in is generally more difficult. Tesla can’t even do it.
- I’ve seen many public charging ports in parking lots that are angled meaning you can’t back in without driving the wrong way.
- backing in doesn’t work if you have a bike rack on you car.
- on more than one occasion I’ve been on a road trip and the rear camera has been completely occluded by snow, grime, etc. The abysmal view out the rear of my MY makes backing in even more difficult.
- the front is generally a more convenient location for home charging. At worst it is no better or worse than a rear port..

- I’ve seen many public charging ports in parking lots that are angled meaning you can’t back in without driving the wrong way.
- on more than one occasion I’ve been on a road trip and the rear camera has been completely occluded by snow, grime, etc. The abysmal view out the rear of my MY makes backing in even more difficult.
- the front is generally a more convenient location for home charging. At worst it is no better or worse than a rear port..
Certainly these are only your opinion and doesnt represent the majority and most of the bullets are small gripes IMO that are corner case. I have not seen public charging ports in angles in CA. Maybe different in your state.

2 of the bullets are related with the rear camera which TBH for such a short distance at a charging station...should be able to back in without problems regardless. The bike rack is your own situation....you already get blocked when backing out of a parking spot regardless of needing it to charge so you would have gotten used to it and used your eyes and looking back.

The front is not convenient for home charging. Not everyone has a pass through garage and its not convenient for most people. People put stuff on the front side of the garages with storage stuff and usually the back side of the garage is where there is free room.

Reactions: bhzmark
Certainly these are only your opinion and doesnt represent the majority and most of the bullets are small gripes IMO that are corner case. I have not seen public charging ports in angles in CA. Maybe different in your state.

2 of the bullets are related with the rear camera which TBH for such a short distance at a charging station...should be able to back in without problems regardless. The bike rack is your own situation....you already get blocked when backing out of a parking spot regardless of needing it to charge so you would have gotten used to it and used your eyes and looking back.

The front is not convenient for home charging. Not everyone has a pass through garage and its not convenient for most people. People put stuff on the front side of the garages with storage stuff and usually the back side of the garage is where there is free room.
Let's have them at both ends...
....bike racks that is.🙄😊

Reactions: flai54

Reversing a Y is certainly more difficult than going forward. The view backwards is pretty bad (though the camera does help), so I think it's a lot safer to back out of a parking space into the open lane than it is to reverse into the space with vehicles parked on both sides. The latter requires you stay glued to the mirrors and put your faith in a couple of bendy lines displayed on a small TV screen

All the arguments for reversing into a spot at home disappear as there'll be nobody driving behind you like there might be at the supermarket

Some are Definitely edge cases; I included them simply as further examples of how the rear charge port location is Problematic.

As far as garage parking goes the overwhelming majority of garages have a door in front and walls on the side and back. A forward-located charge port can easily be used with a charger mounted on the side or back wall of the garage. If you have a double garage then the back wall is unquestionably better for the car on the right. Tesla’s location is only convenient if you can put the charger on the adjacent wall. If you can’t park in a garage then it’s likely even less convenient.

I honestly cannot think of a single situation for home charging where the rear location is more convenient. There are cases where it doesn’t matter but I can’t ever see how it would be better.