Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there only 6 airbags in europe, used to be 8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did try to change the subject to:
"Why are there only 6 airbags in europe, used to be 8"

But the topic headings did not change

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla have replyed my questions. They claim that there is only need for 6 airbags, and that they are only in the us cars to comply with regulations.

Knee airbags are needed for ICE cars since the engine is the first thing that enters the cabin in a head on crash and does the most damage to your lower legs. No huge front engine in a Tesla so no need for knee airbags. Energy tranfer and crumple zones keep the entire cabin intact and your knees untouched.

I have recieved answer from tesla. European Cars have always been delivered With 6 airbags, us with 8

Now i just thinking....us and Europa Cars have not the same Security features. even though tesla claims 'only car to achive both euroncap and nhts 5 Star ratings'...if not the same, Then it does not have Dual 5 Star rating.

Great car anyway.

Now i just thinking....us and Europa Cars have not the same Security features. even though tesla claims 'only car to achive both euroncap and nhts 5 Star ratings'...if not the same, Then it does not have Dual 5 Star rating.

Great car anyway.
I'm confused by this. The car *DOES* have a dual 5 star rating. However, features between the cars may vary depending on the regulations of each country. For example, Lane departure warning, speed assist, deployable bonnet were not present in US market cars (and are not required for 5 star NHTSA) and had to be added to get 5 stars in NCAP.

Any reason why tesla have removed 2 airbags from EU cars ?

On my old Model S P85 (2013) was the following text to find in specs (in danish, but I guess you get the point)

on the 2015 model S specs is:

that seem like a step back to me.

the airbag wich have been removed are the knee airbag, and this seems still on US specs.
now Im about to order my 2' Model S as my P85 are sold and a P85D are on order.

I DO NOT WISH to buy a super fast less safe tesla - Tesla should include all posible safety features on a 0-60 3.2 sec car.

Had my test drive today and noticed there was no knee airbag (other airbags have the airbag sign on them), queried this as had remembered seeing on the usa site that it has knee airbags and also mentioned on NHSTA testing. The tesla rep said no knee airbags in the EU as EURONCAP doesnt give points for knee airbags and present in the USA as required in the USA to get 5* rating but not required in the EU to get 5* rating. My decade old car in the EU had knee protection, including both my present two cars. And this Tesla car costing more in the EU than USA has inferior driver protection for EU drivers. Anyone concerened about safety feature deletions in EU models should write to EURONCAP crash testing organisation to suitably amend their ratings. I will write to EURONCAP about this. Anyone else not happy about this deletion of safety features in cars sold in the EU please write to car reviewers in the EU to highlight this discrepancy in safety features of tesla cars in the EU.

And this Tesla car costing more in the EU than USA has inferior driver protection for EU drivers.

Perhaps not inferior. US knee bags may be unnecessary, but legally required. Presumably the EU ratings were achieved through crash testing without leg injuries to the test dummies.

See this post from FOURBUCKS above:
"Knee airbags are needed for ICE cars since the engine is the first thing that enters the cabin in a head on crash and does the most damage to your lower legs. No huge front engine in a Tesla so no need for knee airbags. Energy tranfer and crumple zones keep the entire cabin intact and your knees untouched."

The other EU cars you reference all have large and a heavy engine & transmission in front which may have required knee bags to achieve a high crash safety rating.

I'm confused by this. The car *DOES* have a dual 5 star rating. However, features between the cars may vary depending on the regulations of each country. For example, Lane departure warning, speed assist, deployable bonnet were not present in US market cars (and are not required for 5 star NHTSA) and had to be added to get 5 stars in NCAP.

Would TTIP change this and allow Tesla to sell equally equipped cars in the US and EU? I'm no fan of TTIP but this would at least be a very small consolation as I imagine it would reduce cost and complexity in the factory.

Would TTIP change this and allow Tesla to sell equally equipped cars in the US and EU? I'm no fan of TTIP but this would at least be a very small consolation as I imagine it would reduce cost and complexity in the factory.

TTIP is not disallowing Tesla from having knee airbags.

The U.S. is forcing Tesla to have (unnecessary) knee airbags. If Tesla wanted, the could ship the same SKU to both locations.

But an airbag is an airbag, and not installing one is still cheaper than the complexity of tracking which cars need to have airbags installed.