Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who in Canada will order the new P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is my understanding. I encourage others to contact their insurance companies.

See number 3 in the following link:
Five Common Car Insurance Questions Answered

Also, section 2.2 of the Ontario Automobile Owner's Policy regulation says it's 14 days!
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/archives/Documents/a-07_00-3.pdf

In any case, check with your broker/insurance company to ensure it is applicable to your situation/policy.
I looked at that, much different than Alberta where you have zero grace period, HOWEVER I note that in both of those cases it is the insurance company, and not the law that is giving the grace period, meaning you need to check with your specific insurer to see if they do that.

I looked at that, much different than Alberta where you have zero grace period, HOWEVER I note that in both of those cases it is the insurance company, and not the law that is giving the grace period, meaning you need to check with your specific insurer to see if they do that.

The second link is the one to the template policy that is regulated by law - that is from a government website that hosts the template agreements that are required by law in Ontario. Insurance is tightly regulated in Ontario, and most parts of a policy are identical company to company (and mandatory). But since I am not an expert, I would also defer to folks checking for themselves.

I just read through my insurance wordings, and it definitely just refer to the OAP1 for detail policies. However, I actually have 30 days "grace" period from my crash proof policy which is even better (replace the wording in OAP to 30days). Now I am very confused as to why they told me that they can't insured my car on time and told me to find someone else. Probably just the agent that I got was not doing his work.

mrElbe: Congratz! Good to hear that your car is not actually still in production :)

Last edited:
Got a call from my DS today - the delivery will most likely happen first week of January. Too bad :( I was hoping for a New year present.
Looks like the car is still in Fremont, and will be loaded on a truck tomorrow.

There will be a lot of deliveries not making the year-end numbers. Mine might be also on the truck with Andrei or on it's way from Chicago tomorrow. In the words of Gomer Pyle it will be: SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

Got some good news though - my insurance - Aviva- wrote my policy at an unbelievable rate (less than my Audi Q7 by a large margin) and kept my all-perils deductible at $500. I expect once the actuaries get some stats the rate may rise but for now it is awesome. It's a good policy: 2 mil liability/waiver of depreciation/rental car/accident forgiveness. Happy with this.
She confirmed that one has 14 days to report a new car purchase or lease and one is covered under your existing policy during that time but *only for the amounts of that existing policy*. So my liability would be fine but my Tesla would be insured at an Audi's rates for collision and replacement. Of course once you notify the company and new new coverage is bound all is fine. My coverage is bound now for the new car even though I don't have an exact delivery date. One less thing to do.

After so much pain, I got my insurance situation figured out. Given how expensive it is to fix the car (and usually automatically considered a write-off), make sure you guys get no depreciation for as long as you can! I know many companies can provide full replacement up to 5 years vs the normal 2 years no depreciation.

@ Andrei and Sataponw
I'm in that same convoy with you two... I think there are 5 cars coming all together. Going to call my Insurance company tomorrow to set it up. Hopefully only a few more days to go!
I was at Lawrence earlier today and bumped into a guy who took delivery of his D on Sat, he was loving it! Don't think he's on this forum though.