Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which battery size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 70D because I pretty much had to for budget reasons. It will meet my needs, but if I had the money, I'd have gone 90D.

I agree. If $ is a real issue, you will be fine with the 70.

However... if you can swing it, I think you will be happier with the 85 and get to enjoy it's benefits while you own it, but also get some of that back if you ever sell it...

We went for the 70D. While the extra acceleration of the 85D was nice, it felt as though it resulted in a narrowing of the 'normal around town' accelerator pedal position range... and it seems that Tesla doesn't give the user any accelerator remap capability (which kinda blows). Maybe we're just used to having our Leaf in Eco mode all the time (stretches the early part of the throttle map out so you have a lot of fine control and compresses the end of the map, so you just mash it to the floor if you want the car to go).

As for range, more range is always nice but we felt that the extra $10k for 30 EPA miles wasn't really worth it given our use case. Instead, that $10k can be saved and put toward a possible future battery upgrade (when the $/kWh ratio will be more favorable).

AS much as the leaf can go hehe ;) jk

It's a lot more than a couple inches. The D frunk is tiny compared to the non-D. The only things I keep in it is a case of water, extension cable, and UMC when I travel. I've seen suitcases in the non-D frunk.

I did an overnight trip with four adults in the main cabin and two kids in the back with everything in the frunk, including everyone's clothes, a stroller, and quite a bit of shopping accumulated along the way. That's definitely not going to happen in a D frunk!