Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's solar charging gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That works but it then disappears again later!
If I recall correctly, signing out and back in brings up the invitation to set it up. Set up includes setting the location of the charging station so it only changes charging when the car is plugged in at home. Charge on solar also must be kept enabled in the car.

I had a situation where I needed to disable Charge on Solar - due to how my Wall Connector was wired, it was completely messing up the energy display in the app. So I needed to not only have it not charge on solar, but also needed to remove the app's monitoring of the car charging. The trick was to temporarily change the setting in the app for the location of the charger. I set the location to a neighbor's house across the street. As a result, it never again saw the car charging at home, and soon the car was removed from the energy app displays. I did report the display errors to Tesla Energy support, so maybe, someday, they will fix that bug.

I mention this only to demonstrate that the user interface and functioning of this feature is obtuse and flawed. So it may take some persistence and patience to get it working.

Yep, IO here and 15p for export... so pays more to export solar than save the 7.5p to charge the car. It could all change of course, which was why I was investigating, but make hay while the sun shines (literally), and pay the investment off a little quicker.

Same... Exporting all Solar and charging cars overnight to 80% if needed. Exporting Powerwalls to 0% by 23:30

Works great as Powerwall AI charges them back to 100% every day.

Easy.

Reactions: phil4
Anyone with a Zappi.. I've found Charge on Solar to be very good. Stick the Zappi in fast mode and let the PW control the charging rate. I found there was less jumping around on cloudy days.. I noticed the PW and Zappi can sometimes get in a bit of a loop fighting for the solar and can take a while to balance out, then more cloud comes over.. lol.

You also get a nice graphic with your car in the garage on the energy part of the app. I still have to use our other Zappi to control the charging speed for our non Tesla EV but I was happy with the Charge on Solar.. might use that for the Tesla from now on.. Oh, it also logs the charge added under "Vehicle".

IMG_3184.png

I noticed the PW and Zappi can sometimes get in a bit of a loop fighting for the solar and can take a while to balance out,
My PW / Tesla Wall Connector with Charge on Solar may do the same thing. Today had intermitted clouds, and the solar was split between the PW and the car in varying degrees. I think this is due to the PW doing what it can to reach 100% charge before the rate increases at 3PM, at which time it stopped car charging and exported the excess to the grid. It makes for rather spiky energy charts:

IMG_8883.jpg

However, it did manage 100% SOC at 3pm, and no export at off peak rate.

When I go to sign out of app, it tells me I'll lose all settings and stored data. That sounds scary. Can you confirm they'll be restored when i log back in?

What tariff pays 15p export? I thought IO was somewhere around 5p.

ah right ... we've currently got FiT with Octopus which is where I was confused. That only gives us between 5-7p per kW so I need to look at switching that. Cheers for the prod...

So, any downsides for surrendering FiT for SEG?

When I go to sign out of app, it tells me I'll lose all settings and stored data. That sounds scary. Can you confirm they'll be restored when i log back in?
The settings are stored on Tesla's servers, so when you log back in, it will look the same except, we hope, for the CoS invitation.

I can't comment on export rates, as I am in Calif on a modified NEM rate, and where pence refers to a (fortunately surviving) former Vice President. ;-)

Reactions: kuruma
ah right ... we've currently got FiT with Octopus which is where I was confused. That only gives us between 5-7p per kW so I need to look at switching that. Cheers for the prod...

So, any downsides for surrendering FiT for SEG?
Not ever having had FiT, I suspect ir brings an element of predictability. There is nothing stopping octopus from reducing their Outgoing tariff back to 4p/kWr next year (I'm convinced it's only a matter of time).
Also, if you have deemed export then you can "double dip" your solar production so it very much depends on your personal setup.

I got a new phone and installed the Tesla app.
Charge on solar appeared on the new phone but not the old one, so you probably need to log out and back in.
I saw a post saying you need a Tesla wall box to use it, but mine appeared to work using my Zappi.
I haven't figured out the logic of it yet, though.
I activated it when my PW was at 75% and the house was using 0.5kW.
The car immediately started charging at 7kW, so it was drawing half of that from the grid, which makes no sense to me.
I'm on Intelligent Octopus (in the UK) so I don't get paid for exported electricity, which means that on a sunny day I manually have to set the Zappi to harvest excess solar when the sun is bright and the PW is full.
If I'm honest, I really don't see the point of charge on solar for me, since the Zappi does it, although I do have to manually set it to 'Eco'.