Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's solar charging gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago, I had an option to charge the car off solar when there was surplus solar coming in and the powerwall didn't need it. Three little dots appeared next to charge info on the app. Tapping that enabled me to toggle solar charging on or off. If that wasn't there, I could nip into Schedule and there was a blue link there.

Both the three dots and the blue link have gone and I can't find solar charging anywhere.

I'm on app version 4.30.6-2531

Any ideas?

anyway, if someone could confirm whether they see the solar charging option or not, I'd appreciate it more than I already appreciate the helpful comments on how to manage a thread you've started 😁
I have been in contact with Tesla Energy over this as it has never shown up for me. They checked my system and confirmed the PW and the car are all compatible! This was yesterday and awaiting for them to get back to me.. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Ah right so it seems I'm not the only one to notice it's vanished. Strange that... it was really useful because it meant I didn't have to remember not to forget that if it suddenly clouds over, I have to reduce or stop charging the car so it doesn't drain the PW

I’ve updated the iPhone app and it’s still there.
IMG_4616.jpeg

I dropped Tesla an email, I don't get it showing because I have a site import limit apparently. I have no idea why they remove it if you have such a setting, can't see how it's related at all... but I'd rather not remove it as could easily blow the main fuse (2 x EV and 2xPowerwall), and already have once. Likewise not sure I need charge on solar... so above info may help someone.

I dropped Tesla an email, I don't get it showing because I have a site import limit apparently. I have no idea why they remove it if you have such a setting, can't see how it's related at all... but I'd rather not remove it as could easily blow the main fuse (2 x EV and 2xPowerwall), and already have once. Likewise not sure I need charge on solar... so above info may help someone.
The blurb on the Tesla website says you can't have a site export limit (don't think it mentions import limit?)
I have no idea why that is, but explains why the option isn't available for me.

Then again, with current Octopus export rates I wouldn't want to anyway. Makes more financial sense to just export everything you produce.

The blurb on the Tesla website says you can't have a site export limit (don't think it mentions import limit?)
I have no idea why that is, but explains why the option isn't available for me.

Then again, with current Octopus export rates I wouldn't want to anyway. Makes more financial sense to just export everything you produce.
It doesn't, but that's what the Tesla rep has said. I did feedback that I thought it was daft.

But you're right, I wasn't going to use it, as have a Zappi if needed, and as you say... at the moment I'm better off exporting it.

Thought it worth investigating in case things change in the future, so not urgent now.

Reactions: ACarneiro
What rates are you getting for export with octopus? I'm on IO and it's pretty minimal.
I think a lot are getting 15p export and 7.5p off peak import at the moment (me included) hence the lack of people interested in this right now, as its cheaper to charge off peak overnight and export all excess solar.

Even though I understand the difference is nominal in the grand scheme of things, if I was still only getting 4p export, I would have definitely set this up by now.

I think a lot are getting 15p export and 7.5p off peak import at the moment (me included) hence the lack of people interested in this right now, as its cheaper to charge off peak overnight and export all excess solar.

Even though I understand the difference is nominal in the grand scheme of things, if I was still only getting 4p export, I would have definitely set this up by now.
Yep, IO here and 15p for export... so pays more to export solar than save the 7.5p to charge the car. It could all change of course, which was why I was investigating, but make hay while the sun shines (literally), and pay the investment off a little quicker.