Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I thought I was the only one annoyed by the lack of clothes hanger hooks!

Actually I don't know anyone who wouldn't be annoyed by the lack of these hooks/hangers.
Must be the Silicon Valley attitude (casual clothes to work, anyone?) to overlook such a basic necessity in a car.
And after all it's not just the hooks but especially the grab handles that many people, especially elderly, will sorely miss.

Still, I'm sure Tesla has by now realized that they made a big mistake in that area and are working on a remedy for a Model S 1.5 or 2.0

+1. I don't often dry-clean, and don't often wear a suit or sport coat, but I definitely value those hooks and would request that Tesla figure out how to put them, and the grab handles for passengers, in the Model S. I consider it an oversight and a missing feature.

When I first looked at Model S prototype, I watched the rep. demonstrate the operation of the rear facing seats and it was quite a good design and mechanically sound. I believe at the time, Tesla has a strong design team for Model S and now we know they received all kinds of Car of the Year Award and I continue to believe this engineering design team. Having test drove the car last week and noticed more and more interior short comings for a family sedan: the lack of hooks, handle bars, side door pockets, center console, backseat cup holders and locations and even floor maps, the list goes on and on. I wonder if this is Tesla designer's "open" philosophy initially that they want to wait for customers feedback for the interior design features. I am hoping Tesla can make some definitive statement about those short comings to prevent further customer cancellations (this can be the reason customers are waiting to finalize their orders). These interior features are becoming an annoyance to a lot of customers including myself and the fact we have a thread to discuss the lack of hanging hooks and handle bars is laughable. Can someone tell me if there is a BMW, Lexus, Audi or Mercedes forum have an extensive tread to discuss this topic in their products? Having work in product development for many years, we cannot afford to miss something so obvious like this. I trust this is not a miss from Tesla but simply a "different design philosophy". Following some other threads in this forum, customers are crying, moaning and frustrated. I also noticed they are working on it and I hope for whatever the solution Tesla comes up, they are not making us, die hard Model S customers to pay another thousands of dollars to remedy their short comings.

The car is done the way the CEO wants it.
Sometime this is great. Witness the amazing performance insisted by Elon. And sometimes it's bad with the Model S having the clean lines of a concept car.
They may relinquish and put in hooks and "living-with" items not related to driving a car if they find that someday they cannot sell them, but for now just the firmware updates seem to be done with the driver preference in mind.

I don't mind the lack of proper coat hooks so much as the lack of the "oh-my-god" overhead grab bars for rear passengers.

Well, at least for the kind of passengers that like to hold onto the safety bar on a roller coaster vs waving their arms in the air like a deranged lunatic. :tongue:

Several times my wife has attempted to grab a phantom support to keep from sliding around in the back when going around a corner. :eek:

+1 Nigel.

AustinPowers, you misunderstood my joke upthread.... I think I've used coathanger/hooks maybe once in the ~15 years I've been driving.

True, I must have misunderstood your joke.
By the way, I use these hooks several times a month - not joking!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, by "people I know" I meant "people I know personally".

Anyway, lucky you.

- - - Updated - - -

The car is done the way the CEO wants it.
Sometime this is great. Witness the amazing performance insisted by Elon. And sometimes it's bad with the Model S having the clean lines of a concept car.
They may relinquish and put in hooks and "living-with" items not related to driving a car if they find that someday they cannot sell them, but for now just the firmware updates seem to be done with the driver preference in mind.

But the Model S is aimed at a family audience primarily, not at sports car drivers who put up with loads of shortcomings on the feature front just because the handling is so great. And compared to "standard" family cars, the Model S leaves a lot to be desired in the interior, especially at that price tag!

I will grudgingly live without hangers and grab handles (and power retractable mirrors and backup sensors and ..) in the S since i view it as my "vanity" car, but if Tesla wants to sell me an X to replace my MDX, they will have to include the U in the SUV.

I don't mind the lack of proper coat hooks so much as the lack of the "oh-my-god" overhead grab bars for rear passengers.

Well, at least for the kind of passengers that like to hold onto the safety bar on a roller coaster vs waving their arms in the air like a deranged lunatic. :tongue:

Several times my wife has attempted to grab a phantom support to keep from sliding around in the back when going around a corner. :eek:
Having experienced this myself, you have to deal with it the Jason Bourne way and grab onto the seat belt.

I am hoping Tesla can make some definitive statement about those short comings to prevent further customer cancellations (this can be the reason customers are waiting to finalize their orders).
While I agree with the sentiment (retain customers cheaply and avoid blockers/deal-breakers), I think Tesla is seeing it differently. There are 15K people that liked the vehicle enough to reserve, and my understanding is that at least 75% will complete the purchase. Until that kind of demand and loyalty wanes, they have no incentive to compromise on any design aesthetics.

I will grudgingly live without hangers and grab handles (and power retractable mirrors and backup sensors and ..) in the S since i view it as my "vanity" car, but if Tesla wants to sell me an X to replace my MDX, they will have to include the U in the SUV.

+1

The car feels like it was developed by single men who have never lived in a winter or had to do dry cleaning.

There are some really good things to come out of that, but it means missing things like hooks.

Of course, I've lived with BMW's utterly embarrassing inability to design cup holders for more than a decade, so....

+1

The car feels like it was developed by single men who have never lived in a winter or had to do dry cleaning.
Have you seen/met Franz?

Of course, I've lived with BMW's utterly embarrassing inability to design cup holders for more than a decade, so....
In Germany you do NOT eat or drink in your car. It is simply not done. So even though the American market has forced them into adding cupholders they as a company do not believe in them and so they do not put any effort into designing proper ones.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Actually I don't know anyone who wouldn't be annoyed by the lack of these hooks/hangers.
Must be the Silicon Valley attitude (casual clothes to work, anyone?) to overlook such a basic necessity in a car.
And after all it's not just the hooks but especially the grab handles that many people, especially elderly, will sorely miss.

Still, I'm sure Tesla has by now realized that they made a big mistake in that area and are working on a remedy for a Model S 1.5 or 2.0

Models S is still a very young lady. She needs to grow up. :)
Missing
- interior storage
- usable cup holders front and rear
- lighted vanity mirrors
- door and seat pockets
- flip down handles and coat hangers
- proper trunk lighting
are some of the reasons why I gave the car 4 stars out of 5. Plus the screen is not matte. There is a glare. And I hate that. :cursing:

In Germany you do NOT eat or drink in your car. It is simply not done.

You can smoke though!

So even though the American market has forced them into adding cupholders they as a company do not believe in them and so they do not put any effort into designing proper ones.

I know. It's one of the reasons why cup holders in BMWs seem like such an afterthought. At least now the cup holders will hold cups. I remember my first 540i, six speed manual, the cup holders would pop out right in front of the shifter. They were maybe two inches above the flooring of the center console. As a result, shifting was clumsy and the cup blocked access to many of the control buttons, but even worse: if you accelerated, whatever was in the holder would come flying out. So, it was only mildly useful when one wasn't moving. It was ridiculous.