Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone looked at the wheels as it is was off-loaded. I see 7 blades on the rims same as on the white prototype (minus carbon fibre). I say MX! Sorry I suck at adding pics from iPhone
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It was also noted that a couple Model S's were by the trailer as well. I don't know why another car maker would be driving Tesla's.

Well, I'm just speculating, of course, but it could well be that there's already close cooperation on Model X clones with other car makers or they're just showing off capabilities of betas to engineers from other car makers.

Wheels actually look exactly like the Model S prototype wheels. Not that someone else couldn't get a set just like them.

I also think this is an X beta tester. There's no way this is a Rav 4, it's too damn quick! I didn't time that straight run but it was hauling some serious arse before they jumped on the brakes. It also stopped in a really big hurry.

Honestly, it looks like they were doing a 0-60-0 test and a skidpad (cornering G force) test. Although, the track looked a bit dirty. I would expect they would want a clean surface if they're trying to gather numbers. As another poster pointed out, that thing stays super flat for how tall and how fast it was going in circles.

Judging by the sound it seemed like they were pushing the traction/stability control to the max too. It had a high-frequency modulated sound, not one continous screech. Of course that could just be the phone...

Wheels are not the same.

I don't think this video shows a Model X as its rear door is not as wide as the Model X prototype. If you look at the location of the door seam between front and rear doors on the Model X prototype it is about halfway between the wheels. On the mule in the video the approximate door seam is farther aft.

I say its another manufacturer or a cleverly disguised/dumbed down Model 3 test mule.

I'm pretty amazed at the disbelief that this is Model X. People think it's more likely that it's a car still in the planning stages that's probably three years away and not the car we know is coming in just a few more months? C'mon, guys, Occam's Razor.

Here is my conspiracy theory, Aluminum foul pointy hat. with tongue firmly in cheek theory. I hope all the TM staff gets a chuckle:
It is the drivetrain of the model3 being tested with an old slightly modified Aztek body. TM wanted a similar sized 'body' to try on their new drivetrain.
probably already has torque vectoring, autopilot and a heated steering wheel! :)

You had to add the heated steering wheel, didn't you? :)

I wonder if they tested there because they know people are monitoring the Fremont track for any MX sighting and I bet they thought this other random place wouldn't have anyone sitting there with a video recorder let alone someone who knew exactly what it was.

Except look at Google Maps. It's right next to a skate park. If you were looking for a bunch of people likely to have camera phones to shoot a viral video, you couldn't have chosen a better location.