Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do Tesla register a new car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, forgive me if this has been answered previously.
Hope to put in an order for an M3LR next week but confused by how exactly Tesla register the car, i.e. issue a reg number. Looking at posts elsewhere it seems very random! I'm guessing if I order say on 1st Feb the car won't arrive until sometime in March (if I'm lucky). But would it be registered when landing in UK, and thus be a 24 reg, or might it be a very late 73 reg?
Not desperately bothered but would be nice to know.
Thanks Steve.

Registration numbers are allocated to the cars way in advance via VIN matching to Registrations. That earmarks the registration for you but the physical registration doesn't happen until the day of collection. My App states "Registration - Tesla will complete registration on the day of your delivery appointment".

In short - if you collect in Feb its a 73 plate, if you collect in March its a 24 plate, not that it really matters 🤪

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977 and KennethS
Registration numbers are allocated to the cars way in advance via VIN matching to Registrations. That earmarks the registration for you but the physical registration doesn't happen until the day of collection. My App states "Registration - Tesla will complete registration on the day of your delivery appointment".

In short - if you collect in Feb its a 73 plate, if you collect in March its a 24 plate, not that it really matters 🤪
Thanks for that - really helpful :) . As you say, it doesn't really matter though in all probability I'd be collecting in March if ordering in Feb I'm guessing.

in all probability I'd be collecting in March if ordering in Feb I'm guessing.
Tesla doesn’t do made to orders - you have x number of cars loaded on the boat for UK and if you custom order they will match the vin with one of their orders and allocate you. If you order on the last week of Feb there is a chance it may go to March but for all other weeks in Feb the chances are Tesla will try and sell a car asap. Unless there is extreme demand for the Highland and all orders are already VIN matched.

Tesla doesn’t do made to orders - you have x number of cars loaded on the boat for UK and if you custom order they will match the vin with one of their orders and allocate you. If you order on the last week of Feb there is a chance it may go to March but for all other weeks in Feb the chances are Tesla will try and sell a car asap. Unless there is extreme demand for the Highland and all orders are already VIN matched.
Ahh. Thanks for that. Really helpful.

in all probability I'd be collecting in March if ordering in Feb I'm guessing.

IF you want the car sooner and are not fussy about colour etc. then worth asking what is available. Towards the end of the quarter they often have unallocated stock and thus choosing "unpopular" colour etc. will get you a car sooner.

But if you want the 24 plate then ... as you were :)

Reactions: Vitoman