Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my range graphed out over the last 2.5 years from 80k miles to 181k miles on my odometer. ( I don't have data from before that time) You can see how the range goes up and down a few miles all the time. It's just 'noise' The true degradation is only showing if you look at the big picture. Don't worry about little spikes and valleys from week to week or even months. Also make sure you don't have 'Range Mode' turned on when taking a sample.

Considering that 265 miles was the advertised range for my car I have 9.5% degradation after 181k miles. Not bad. My car showed 271 miles when new, though. When I use that as the basis I lost 11.3%. The range loss doesn't affect my daily driving or charging in any way so it's fine. On road trips it eats into my range. In addition to having lost range, my car charges 25% slower on a supercharger compared to when it was new. That does get a little annoying on longer trips. But I'm fine with it s I'm not paying for supercharging so I'm not complaining :)

View attachment 353363

your graph would project this more accurately, but some rough math based on that graph shows me that you will be at 50% of range (130 miles) at about 1,280,000 miles. Would anybody take it that far? By then a new battery might be what, $5000? Time will tell. A new leaf has EPA rated 150 miles.

Occasionally, but most of the time no, especially when I am alone in the car and don't really need it. If the wife and/or baby is in the car, then yes - but that's usually for about 10 minutes/day of my 1 hr round trip commute. Realistically, how much would that increase it, say from like 340 to 370 wh/mi?

Sp much for that guess. What tires do you have? High performance and/or high rolling resistance tires will up your Wh/Mi. Driving style can be a factor too. I've become more careful about how I drive and I've been able to hit the rated Wh/Mi, but it does take some practice. My lifetime Wh/Mi is still 305 even though I've been consistently below that almost every drive for over a year, even last winter.

I just got a 2015 P85D. It has 24,429 miles. At 90% I get 225 miles. I've had it for a little over a week and I will say that I'm not getting the mileage I thought I would get from a 90% charge. I get nowhere near 225 miles. The sitting idle miles I lose daily is crazy. Sometimes 20-30 a day. Then when I drive it, forget about it. Now I know cold contributes to this somewhat, but seems excessive. Is this normal?

I just got a 2015 P85D. It has 24,429 miles. At 90% I get 225 miles. I've had it for a little over a week and I will say that I'm not getting the mileage I thought I would get from a 90% charge. I get nowhere near 225 miles. The sitting idle miles I lose daily is crazy. Sometimes 20-30 a day. Then when I drive it, forget about it. Now I know cold contributes to this somewhat, but seems excessive. Is this normal?

If you have a phone ap that pings the car the car will never go to sleep. There is also a setting on the car whether to let it go to sleep or not. If you have sleep disabled your vampire drain will be higher.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I have a 2016 75D, with about 51k miles. My 90% is 209 miles, implying a 100% of 232. This is about an 8.9% decrease from the advertised in just 2 years. I’m concerned about this significant drop and will take it in to the service center later this week and ask them about it. Does anyone else have a drop this significant this soon?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
my late 2015 70D just turned 3 years old, ~29,500 km.
Latest 90% charge yesterday = 346km rated (=215mi rated)
My last 100% charge gave 386km rated (=240mi rated).

...this is within 1km of 90% range when new (always between 345-347km rated @ 90% since new, so still basically on spec)

Low daily mileage driver, typically charge to 65% at home overnight. Only Supercharge a handful of times a year, on road trips. Not sure if those are factors or not, but anyhow I can't complain about my 70D battery so far over 3 years.