Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's wrong with a car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I stopped in at an auto parts place. They didn't have the waterless wash, but the car was too dirty for that anyway, and now I've found where it's sold, according to the web site. I did get a couple of microfiber towels. Then I went to the coin-operated car wash. All went well. I kept the nozzle well away from the car. Gave it a quick rinse, a good scrub, and a power rinse (from a distance). One towel almost dried it and the second was plenty to finish it. I liked the towels much better than the chamois. It looks as pretty as new. I wore my neoprene scuba gloves to keep my hands from freezing. Still cold, but much better than bare hands.

An employee at the car wash was very impressed with the car. She had seen only one before. And the owner of the car wash took pictures of it (after asking my permission, which I'm always happy to give).

The hardest bit is just below the door sills, which gets filthy, and which can be washed only with the doors open. Fortunately, with the trigger off, just enough spray comes out during the power rinse to rinse that area without spraying water into the car.

The hardest bit is just below the door sills, which gets filthy, and which can be washed only with the doors open. Fortunately, with the trigger off, just enough spray comes out during the power rinse to rinse that area without spraying water into the car.
Glad it went well. For that door sill area I wait until that first towel is nice and wet from drying the rest of the car and use that to wipe down the sills w/ the door open. Then come back w/ the second towel to dry it off. But I don't have to worry about snow and slush so it's never super dirty.

Yeah. After washing it, and being careful with the sills, as I said, I first dried the car mostly, and when the first towel was wet, I used it on the sills, which were fairly clean but not super-clean, and a few spots down low that were not quite clean. The damp towel got all those very clean. Then when the rest of the car was dry I used the second towel on the sills and the lower body area. I'm very happy with the results.

I have theory about cleaning. I call it Daniel's theory of relativity: Einstein said that time and space are related; I say that time and cleanliness are related: The degree of cleanness of anything can be expressed in terms of time. If something is as dirty as it would get in one day, it's one day clean. There's no point in getting something one minute clean because in an hour it'll be sixty minutes dirty. If my car is one day clean coming out of the car wash, that's good enough because I'm not going to wash it again until it's several weeks dirty.

I wash as needed and when I can get a $10 car wash at Twin Peaks. (The girls love the car.) The obligatory photo:
IMAG0188.jpg

I never thought I'd have a reason to move to Dallas. Hmmm, gorgeous girls washing my car for $10 vs. being driving distance (in the stinker) from hiking in the most spectacularly beautiful country I've ever seen in my life (British Columbia). Sure wish we had a car wash like that here in Spokane.

I definitely feel a bit silly asking this question (please excuse some overprotectiveness on my part for the CPO Roadster I am getting close to buying),

given the car wash precautions, is there any reason to be concerned keeping the car in a garage with a sprinkler system?

It's a 1.5 Roadster, and I am taking a new apartment in part to have a garage for the car. Found a place I am ready to move in, but got a twinge of worry when I saw the sprinkler heads in the garage. (fwiw, I don't yet have a manual to look through, so I appreciate any feedback from those of you who know these cars inside out).

If the sprinkler heads go off, you have more to worry about than the "taking it through a car wash" syndrome. Unlike the movies make you think, if one goes off they all don't go off. Nor do they go off if someone pulls a fire alarm, or if there's smoke, etc. The heads are typically held closed with a heat sensitive link. So to get a head to spray, there has to be heat at the location of the particular head. And if one did go off, it wouldn't be any different to your car than driving in a rainstorm, which the car can handle OK. Its the fire and high heat that will kill your new car.

If the sprinkler heads go off, you have more to worry about than the "taking it through a car wash" syndrome. Unlike the movies make you think, if one goes off they all don't go off. Nor do they go off if someone pulls a fire alarm, or if there's smoke, etc. The heads are typically held closed with a heat sensitive link. So to get a head to spray, there has to be heat at the location of the particular head. And if one did go off, it wouldn't be any different to your car than driving in a rainstorm, which the car can handle OK. Its the fire and high heat that will kill your new car.

have not had time for TMC lately, but thanks td. makes sense. looking at the sprinkler head, it is hard to imagine it can reach pressures beyond a rain storm.