Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather car washes (sub zero Celsius)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be my first winter season with a Model 3.

I've noticed that the frameless doors tend to collect some water on the inner pane, and when I hand wash the car, I also wipe the inside window/trim.

This winter, I plan to use touchless car washes. I'm curious about whether the Tesla Model 3/Y doors encounter any problems like sticking or freezing on extremely cold, sub-zero days. Should I be cautious about using car washes during such weather conditions?

I personally do not use any type of automatic carwash, I only hand wash. With that being said, if you plan to wash with a touchless you will want to dry the door jams, just like any other car that water if frozen could prevent the door from opening. However, since you can control the via the app you could pre-warm the cabin to help thaw any ice. The handles themselves could also freeze but if memory serves me Tesla updated something to help with this. I wash my car in any temp 40 and above but I make sure to dry the jams and trunk lid to prevent the icing.

• Helpful
Reactions: zknobody
The windows will stick a *little*, but it's not particularly bad.

Door handles can get pretty frozen... but as @Birdsfan mentioned, the app can now unlatch the driver's door without using the handle. Just long-press one of the controls on the app (see photo) to choose which controls display there.

Screenshot_20231006-085646-209.png

Screenshot_20231006-085952-641.png

The charge port can be difficult in Winter, I often have to chisel out every bit of ice in order for it to close properly, but I park and charge outside. If your Model 3 is kept in a garage you shouldn't have to deal with that.

I've read on these forums that touchless car washes use higher pH chemicals that cause discoloration spots on the black window trim. That might even be worse than the micro scratches caused by non touchless car washes. Check this thread to make your own decision:

I do take mine through the car wash during Winter months, as I expect the salt damage to be worse than the micro scratches.

• Helpful
Reactions: zknobody