Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.png image.png
is that a kill-a-watt or an equivalent? where could I buy this particular one? Make/model please. Thanks!

I use the eagle energy gateway that wirelessly links to my smart meter, no setup required.

Attached image, home usage when the tesla is charging at 48 amps

Reactions: ssq
How far away from your meter is this device? I have a detached garage between my router and the meter with foil backed insulation on the walls so I doubt zigbee could penetrate all of that.:(

The range and quality of ZigBee is pretty good. I have ZigBee for my home automation (Smartthings), solar xity inverter, and smart meter and I have had 0 issues with ZigBee. I faced more range issues with Z-Wave

Thanks but this is for the entire house plus EV as a whole. It won't help track the Tesla's power consumption separately. This is cool nevertheless and I plan to buy it.

I guess for those who have a separate meter this could be an easy solution. Nonetheless, this was a simple plug and play device and for $100 you can't go wrong.

But I agree with you, I would like something that would monitor the usage of my tesla so I can calculate the exact monthly charge for it. I wish a simple plug and play solution existed

I guess for those who have a separate meter this could be an easy solution. Nonetheless, this was a simple plug and play device and for $100 you can't go wrong.

But I agree with you, I would like something that would monitor the usage of my tesla so I can calculate the exact monthly charge for it. I wish a simple plug and play solution existed
Sorry I have not gone through all details of the product but since it needs to be registered with the utility company does it also use that to provision itself with the tiering rates and possibly help with the decision to go with TOU vs. standard billing method. I guess it does an ROI analysis based on cost and net meter readings, hence my curiosity. I have been debating going TOU for some time. I have a solar PV that generates 10000+ kWh/yr while my house consumes approximately 6000 kWh/yr. The extra panels and capacity are for the X.

Sorry I have not gone through all details of the product but since it needs to be registered with the utility company does it also use that to provision itself with the tiering rates and possibly help with the decision to go with TOU vs. standard billing method. I guess it does an ROI analysis based on cost and net meter readings, hence my curiosity. I have been debating going TOU for some time. I have a solar PV that generates 10000+ kWh/yr while my house consumes approximately 6000 kWh/yr. The extra panels and capacity are for the X.

I believe it syncs the tier rates but not the tou rates however I integrated mine with wattvision so all of my energy data is forwarded to wattvision.

Using the wattvision interface I have full control, I can implement my tou rates and much more as well as integrate with Smartthings.

I also use solar but haven't found a way to intergrate my solar city readings with the eagle gateway and/or wattvision.

What is your utility?

I use a TED Home Pro with Spyders. TED - The Energy Detective I can monitor whole home as well as individual circuits (currently monitoring whole house, A/C, hot tub, garage 14-50, freezer, stove, dryer, and solar). Then I have a SolarEdge inverter. Both have an API that I use to pull data from and dump into InfluxDB, and visualized by Grafana. I find that the inverter's internal monitoring is far more accurate than the Spyder for solar, because I only get one measurement every 60s from the Spyder. Which is fine for "flat" usage like all the other big ticket items that are based on duty cycles, but isn't as good for solar which is constantly varying.

Simple and good. Is there something like this which has a wifi interface or some sort of smart reporting that I could plug into scripts for some data nerding.

If you have a smart meter you can use GitHub - bemasher/rtlamr: An rtl-sdr receiver for Itron ERT compatible smart meters operating in the 900MHz ISM band and a SDR interface to log usage. It doesn't matter so much if it's for your whole service, you know what the Tesla consumes and you can easily identify it.

• Informative
I use a TED Home Pro with Spyders. TED - The Energy Detective I can monitor whole home as well as individual circuits (currently monitoring whole house, A/C, hot tub, garage 14-50, freezer, stove, dryer, and solar). Then I have a SolarEdge inverter. Both have an API that I use to pull data from and dump into InfluxDB, and visualized by Grafana. I find that the inverter's internal monitoring is far more accurate than the Spyder for solar, because I only get one measurement every 60s from the Spyder. Which is fine for "flat" usage like all the other big ticket items that are based on duty cycles, but isn't as good for solar which is constantly varying.
I have a older TED 5000 (displays voltage, current and VARs) so it's a lot more sophisticated than what they are talking about here. But my TED is unreliable. It often hangs up or is offline due to powerline noise issues. Plus my panel does not support the loop inductors so I can only monitor what's going to my main sub panel (house). And I also like the fact that it has it's own gateway to my home internet. No need to send my data off to the cloud or inform anyone what my consumption and load are.

I am looking for alternatives but have not seen any yet that do what the TED is supposed to do. They have a new gen device and I may end up with that and place the larger loop inductors right on my secondaries. Don't tell my utility company. ;)

Why is this? You're talking about CTs, yes?

I took my panel apart and installed my CTs for the device I linked above. It was simple enough, but maybe you don't have space or something.
Let me clarify: I can put loop inductors (CT) on the cables but not the bus. So I cannot see the total load on the panel (unless I clip onto the secondaries coming into the panel). It's a crazy Square D panel with really wide blades that are too wide for the CT's.

Let me clarify: I can put loop inductors (CT) on the cables but not the bus. So I cannot see the total load on the panel (unless I clip onto the secondaries coming into the panel). It's a crazy Square D panel with really wide blades that are too wide for the CT's.
I'm assuming a CSED (combination service entrance device)? With busbars coming straight from the meter to where breakers are plugged on. That's what I have. You can put multiple circuits into the CT. Mine is jammed full of the line to the sub panel in the house, the A/C, and the garage 14-50 (but NOT the solar). Which means I'm monitoring usage, not Net. I kind of prefer it that way. But yeah super tight fit. I actually broke one CT trying to get it to wrap around everything when I added the 14-50 in the outside panel.