Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best tint film?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a recommendation for a tint shop near my home in Ashburn, VA, and they use "Formula ONE" films.

Any thoughts on it? I haven't seen it mentioned here much.

While I'm at it, any other recommendations for that area or near the Rockville, MD service center? (I'll check the appropriate regional forum section as well).

Thanks.

I have the Formula ONE Pinnacle on both my S and Tacoma. I'm very happy with it. I had the side and rear windows done. I had considered also doing the pano roof and windshield but figured I'd wait to see if I really needed it. I live in AZ and park the car in pretty much full sun while I'm at work. Using the phone app I've seen internal temperatures as high as 125 but it cools very quickly with the roof vented and AC on.

Anyone heard of these solar adaptive tints? A well-respected tuning shop in Houston is the only one offering it in Texas. I believe they are made by Spectra photosync. They become darker with more sun. Supposedly block 90% of heat compared to 50-60% with ceramics. Most expensive of all though, about $650 for the sides and rear. Anyone know what kind of factory tint is on the pano roof?

Just had the Formula 1 Pinnacle tint applied 2 days ago. (15% on hatch & rear sides, 50% on front sides), and like the looks. Early indications are that it seems to be blocking additional heat build up as well.

Somebody mentioned distortion around the heating elements... i noticed some initially, but it seems to have diminished as the moisture under the tint film dried out (which I was told can take 48 hours). I do notice what might be described as the tiniest of bubbles along a couple of the element lines, but I'm going to see if that's moisture that will dry out.

One thing I have noticed, is that my polarized sunglasses interact with the tint on my driver's side window, causing a slight rainbow effect. It appears to be an intereference pattern of some sort at a certain distance, as the passenger side window hardly exhibits it at all. Not a big deal.

Car looks sharp tinted. :)

One thing I have noticed, is that my polarized sunglasses interact with the tint on my driver's side window, causing a slight rainbow effect. It appears to be an intereference pattern of some sort at a certain distance, as the passenger side window hardly exhibits it at all. Not a big deal.

I have Pinnacle 50% on all my side and back windows and I don't notice the rainbow or interference pattern you mention when wearing my polarized sunglasses. However, another San Diego Tesla Club member who got 35%, does notice it.

Of course we both notice it on our Air Blue 80 front windshields, but we really love the AB80. It really reduces UV, heat and glare through the biggest heat sink in the car. It makes a big perceptible difference as the front windshield is closer to the driver.

Anyone heard of these solar adaptive tints? A well-respected tuning shop in Houston is the only one offering it in Texas. I believe they are made by Spectra photosync. They become darker with more sun. Supposedly block 90% of heat compared to 50-60% with ceramics. Most expensive of all though, about $650 for the sides and rear. Anyone know what kind of factory tint is on the pano roof?
I had that installed in the Bay Area and it is excellent, the sun was off to the driver's side and I felt nothing through the window. My installer said it will darken about 5% in strong sunlight and then revert back over night or if parked indoors.

I had that installed in the Bay Area and it is excellent, the sun was off to the driver's side and I felt nothing through the window. My installer said it will darken about 5% in strong sunlight and then revert back over night or if parked indoors.

If you park with one side of your car in more sun does the tint only get darker on the one side? What about if only part of a window is in direct sunlight (like when a building or carport casts a shadow on part of the car?

If you park with one side of your car in more sun does the tint only get darker on the one side? What about if only part of a window is in direct sunlight (like when a building or carport casts a shadow on part of the car?
I've not had that situation but it might happen. It isn't like the transitions eye glasses, it takes time to change but will change back too. Are you worried the tints might look slightly different? I really doubt it would be noticeable.

photocync

Where in Houston can you get Spectra Photocync?Thanks

I got Solarguard, all around except front windshield. It looks nice. I got it done for $190.00 in LA by Tint Connection in Culver city.
What percentage of visible light did you get

- - - Updated - - -

I have Pinnacle 50% on all my side and back windows and I don't notice the rainbow or interference pattern you mention when wearing my polarized sunglasses. However, another San Diego Tesla Club member who got 35%, does notice it.

Of course we both notice it on our Air Blue 80 front windshields, but we really love the AB80. It really reduces UV, heat and glare through the biggest heat sink in the car. It makes a big perceptible difference as the front windshield is closer to the driver.

Hey hometheatremaven, at 50% on sides and back, (driver too?) have you been pulled over? Do you have pics? Did you consider Solar Gard?

Hey hometheatremaven, at 50% on sides and back, (driver too?) have you been pulled over? Do you have pics? Did you consider Solar Gard?
Never been pulled over, but if I were, I don't think the cops would notice it. It doesn't look dark. Yes, driver's too.
i don't know about Solar Gard, but Formula One Pinnacle is one of the best tints available. The only one that's definitely better is Photosync, but it's quite a bit more expensive.