Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tint Specs and Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've read various posts here (this might be best one) and other places that provide a good deal of information about tinting a Model Y. However, no one place that I found lists out the VLT (Visible Light Transmitted), IRR (Infrared Radiation Rejection), and UVR (Ultraviolet Rejection) numbers of the stock windows. I'm using this video which did the meter rating on a Model Y. I think listing the VLR, IRR, and UVR out is particularly important because so many people recommend ceramic tinting everything.

Front windows:
  • VLT -- 80.5 (higher the rating the more visible things are or "less" tint you have)
  • IRR -- 76.7 (higher the number the better a film can reject infrared radiation -- rating near 100 is excellent).
  • UVR -- 100 (higher the number the better a film can reject ultraviolet radiation -- rating near 100 is excellent).
Back seat windows:
  • VLT -- 21.5
  • IRR -- 91.5
  • UVR -- 96.2
My thoughts:

So, based on these, numbers, I think most Model Y owners can skip tinting the back seat windows altogether and use a basic tint (even non-ceramic) on the front windows to just get some VLT value to match the back or whatever one's preference is.

Obviously, the windshield has zero protection so I would recommend everyone put ceramic tinting on that.

What about the roof glass? From what I understand it provides excellent protection against the sun. I found this video which tested out the heat rejection.