Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint My Model S Plaid Sunroof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions:

1. Should I tint my sunroof with ceramic tints if I'm in FL and I'm starting to feel the heat from the sunroof?

2. Is nano ceramic worth an extra $400 over regular ceramic tints?

Is it wise to tint the sunroof is what I'm asking?

Two questions:

1. Should I tint my sunroof with ceramic tints if I'm in FL and I'm starting to feel the heat from the sunroof?

2. Is nano ceramic worth an extra $400 over regular ceramic tints?

Is it wise to tint the sunroof is what I'm asking?
It's the same as tinting any other glass, though a big piece. Just go by your personal preference. I'm basically bald and I feel a small amount of radiant heat through it on the sunniest days, but it doesn't bother me and I like the light it brings in. It's fine either way - up to you.

It won't like crack the glass though?
Very probably not. However, there has been an old rumor around the Tesla community about it, and random anecdotes given, some on these forums. Some of these rumors seem to support the aftermarket community wanting to sell sunshades. You'll have to judge for yourself the validity.

If it's beyond what you're comfortable with, but you still want solar relief, just pick one of the many shades available from Tesla or others. I think Tesla's is only like $100. The advantage of a shade is you could remove it in the winter months and enjoy the small amount of extra radiant heat.

When I had my sunroof tinted last year I wanted to go 35%. The installer said due to some reported heat issues on the roof of the car he recommended 50% on the roof and if I wanted to go to 35% I would have to fill out a waiver. Heat and UV rejection was the same, so I went with the ceramic 50%.

YMMV

Very probably not. However, there has been an old rumor around the Tesla community about it, and random anecdotes given, some on these forums. Some of these rumors seem to support the aftermarket community wanting to sell sunshades. You'll have to judge for yourself the validity.

If it's beyond what you're comfortable with, but you still want solar relief, just pick one of the many shades available from Tesla or others. I think Tesla's is only like $100. The advantage of a shade is you could remove it in the winter months and enjoy the small amount of extra radiant heat.
Right on. I personally tinted my sunroof and added a sunshade. Don’t need the heat and light streaming into the car.