Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's in your "F"runk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dog..just kidding. I rarely use it.

image.jpg

Tesla tire inflator is about it on a regular basis. I try to reduce weight when ever possible.

For a long trip, I have 14-50, 6-50, and 5-20 extension cords that I throw in there.

A small first aid kit is in the trunk in the little shelf area on the right. Oh and the umc on the left.

-m

Since I drive for Uber occasionally, I keep everything in the Frunk and use it often: Gym bag, hiking shoes, laptop, biz cards, groceries, or just about anything I need to get to. Another reason I use it a lot is my garage is very small and it's easiest access to the Frunk rather than taking stuff out of the back seats as I can't even fully open the side doors!

I do have to say, since I use the Frunk probably 5 - 10X a day, that closing the Frunk is probably my biggest pet peeve with the car. Two hands? Extra gentle? Finger prints galore? There HAS to be a better solution!

In May 2013 we went on a long trip. Here's what we packed:

81cd7567735191a681be50843801a0d7.jpg

No, Gizmo didn't get to go. He got an A for effort though. Altogether there was a tent, two sleeping bags, a couple lounge chairs, propane for the stove in the footwell in the trunk, air mattresses, and a few other misc items.

In Kansas City we visited family. Their friends really liked the Model S! I titled this, "Twins in the Frunk, Oh my!"

7757d00b8795e5ca540cb462e1faa588.jpg

Now we use the frunk for groceries and packages most of the time.

I got the official Frunk Box organizer for Christmas, and the tire repair kit, so those will be going in the frunk. I don't plan to use the frunk frequently due to concerns with causing a dent/crease and the hand-marks it leaves all over my hood :) So I'm going to use the frunk organizer to store an emergency roadside kit, but nothing that I'll need day to day access to.

I find opening the frunk is a bit of a pain. I usually don't think of it while in the car so I don't use the UI control and the fob just doesn't seem all that responsive for it (maybe it's just me). That plus the whole potential to crease the sheet metal when closing it keeps my frunk useage very low.

Most of the time I only open it when "showing off" the car.

I keep my 30' extension cable and adapters in there and rarely need them.

I ride a road bike a couple times a week. I hope to have room for my helmet, shoes pump and other related stuff. I love the idea of a large towel with bungee cords. The bike fits perfectly in the back with the seats down. Anyone else doing this?

Yes. We have the Torklift Central Eco Hitch, but find we rarely use it - it's easier to toss my wife's road bike in the back (she's 5'11" and all leg, so the bike is fairly big). In fact we did that about a year ago on a trip from Seattle to Death Valley; her bike, helmet, pump and other gear were in the back, emergency stuff like chains were in the lower well, and most of our clothes and other travel gear was on the rear floor or in the frunk.

In September we took an 11,000-mile trip; we did not take the bike for that one so most clothes and such were in the back. For that trip the frunk held most of our camping gear - tent, chair, stove, etc. (Sleeping bags and pillows were in the back seat).

Most of the time, we just keep emtpy grocery bags in the frunk. We use the frunk for everything that will fit; most often it is groceries, but anything dirty or wet or that might roll around that we don't want in the main cabin go in the frunk too. It's been well over 2 years and no sign of a frunk crease. I often close it one-handed, too, as it's hard to use both hands when you just pulled something out of the frunk and are holding on to it...that is a bit of a pain when it's raining and the hood is slippery.

CharS, I'm suspecting that our early frunks may be slightly stronger than later frunks. Mine just turned 2 this month. The frunk is used frequently, and like you said, one hand operation is frequent. Other than fingerprints, there has been no detrimental effect so far.

My favorite thing to do when showing my car is to get folks hyped up about the no engine idea and then opening the frunk. The expressions on their faces are priceless!

I use the "microwave" area for my permanent storage - using a plastic storage box that fits the dimensions perfectly/snugly so no movement or rattling - containing the Tesla tire kit (pump/sealant), a tire pressure gauge, first aid kit, tire repair kit, microfiber cloths, window and car cleaner, paper towels, etc. I use the main part of the frunk for items that would otherwise roll around in the trunk - propane cylinder, groceries, etc. Haven't had any issues with frunk crease or even fingerprints (mine is pearl white with paint armor - fingerprints are probably more of a concern with dark paint).

It actually aggravates me when i have to open it to show Tesla noobs the frunk space. I'm thinking to myself the whole time "...damn it I'm gonna have those greasy palm prints on my hood..." LOL

Tesla could fix that by having an electronic closing/latching mechanism on the front like on the rear hatch...

Mike

Amen! I simply don't understand why they didn't. It couldn't add that much cost and the rear trunk has it. I'd pay for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I keep emergency supplies in the microwave: Tesla tire inflator, med kit, cleaning supplies, tire gauge, etc. I need to boost it to a higher level, actually. I keep a Camco extension cable, Tesla UMC and all adaptors in the Frunk. I also never open it unless I have too. I don't want the dreaded "frunk dent".

Last edited:
I use my frunk on a daily basis. I keep my grocery bags and charging adapters behind the cargo net, and use the front space for groceries or other purchases or my laptop bag, jacket, and other items for work. On Sunday's it holds my violin for when I play for church.

I enjoy the "shock and awe" on ICE-drivers when they see me access my frunk. Most ask, "what's that?". Many assume it has a "little trunk" in the front because the motor or battery takes up all the space in the back. Good Samaritans offer to jump start my car. Either way it's a great conversation starter and guerrilla marketing to create awareness of Tesla's existence and accomplishments. Yes, my friends, there is still much ignorance to be stamped out. That's worth a few handprints.

I have a gallery online of what I've carried in my S:

Tesla Model S - Cargo Space

including a 70-lb antique brass cash register.

We are active in our local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team). We feel a need to be ready for flooding or tsunamis.
IMG_7635.JPG
Our Frunk holds the car cover in the front motor well. Then we carry water (& LifeStraws), Emergency rations, TP, Emergency toilet (& bags) First Aid kits, a hand crank radio, 2-way FRS radios, flashlights, Caution and Gaffer tape, Emergency tools, maps, parkas, and backpacks.

• Helpful
Reactions: thecloud