Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with phone? Mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.

I saw that, and saw the picture in the other thread, and the poster who asked what you thought about whether or not the suction cup would adhere to obeche matte or not. I also have obeche matte. I don't like any of the options that involve a more permanent attachment of the base. I couldn't quite make out the brand from the picture. I searched Amazon for icleve and ideve, without any luck. What is the brand of your mount?

Thanks!

Edit: I think I found it:

iclever
Amazon.com: Car Mount, iClever® ICH04 Magnet CaptureFit Universal Windshield Accessories

So, Cyclone, I have a question for you...

Some of the reviews seem to indicate the iclever magnet may not be strong enough to hold some phones going over bumps, etc. I'd prefer not to remove the metal I've already attached to my phone case to use my Tetrax Geo, only to find that's a problem for me. Do the top parts of the iclever mount come off in such a way that you think I could use my Tetrax screw in vent clip, (pictured below) screwed to the arm somehow, and not use the magnet part of the iclever mount at all? Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

That is indeed the mount I have (Amazon said I previously purchased it). The only time my phone has ever fallen off is when I accidentally hit it going over a bump while trying to do something on the 17". It has never fallen off on its own. The mount's magnetic top has a screw to loosen or tighten the rotation, but I haven't tried to see if it comes off. That said, you wouldn't be able to mount the existing clip you have to the arm. If you do go this route, as long as you case has room otherwise, you should not need to remove the metal. I have the magnets sitting freely between my iPhone 6+ and the case and it holds strongly.

That is indeed the mount I have (Amazon said I previously purchased it). The only time my phone has ever fallen off is when I accidentally hit it going over a bump while trying to do something on the 17". It has never fallen off on its own. The mount's magnetic top has a screw to loosen or tighten the rotation, but I haven't tried to see if it comes off. That said, you wouldn't be able to mount the existing clip you have to the arm. If you do go this route, as long as you case has room otherwise, you should not need to remove the metal. I have the magnets sitting freely between my iPhone 6+ and the case and it holds strongly.

Thanks!

It's inexpensive enough that I'll just order it, and see how it goes. I guess one question is whether or not the suction bottom will hold to the obeche matte.

Thanks again.

Has anybody used the AO slimline holder with a Lifeproof case? Just wondering if it works with that hefty of a case on an iPhone 6+. Thanks.

I haven't use it with the Lifeproof case, but here's my experience with an iPad. The iPad mini holds fine even with launches, but you can't have a case on it because the magnet isn't strong enough for the weight and going through the case. The iPhone6 with the leather case on and the plate between the phone and case will work fine, even with launches. So if you put the magnet on the lifeproof case instead of the phone I would imagine it would hold as it isn't as heavy as an iPad. It's more about how strong a bond there is with the magnet and plate.

I chose ProClipUSA, and am a very happy customer. The products are high-quality plastic, fit very well, and do not move. I bought a base and clip for a friend's FJ Cruiser who lives on a very bumpy 9-mile 4,000' dirt road climb from the nearest pavement. The clip stays fixed solid in the vent mounting base.

ProClip is very Tesla-aware. They have a custom mounting base for the Model S that clips onto the frame below the 17" display. Once the base is on, you can select the holder that suits your phone and your needs.
854922-4.jpg

In this photo, the clip is to the right of the screen, blocking nothing. To make it easier for the passenger to adjust the volume, I needed to move the clip closer to the driver's side, which blocks access to some of the touch area on the bottom of the display, and gets in the way of the on-screen keyboard when a phone is present. But it's better than mounting at the vent which would block the airflow.

ProClip is very Tesla-aware. They have a custom mounting base for the Model S that clips onto the frame below the 17" display.
Now we're talking. I have asked at stores about a made-for-Tesla solution and no one knew of one.
This doesn't block air, doesn't hide the phone behind the steering wheel or get in front of the touchscreen, and wouldn't make me string a power cable all over creation.

Thank you.

Rick

I chose ProClipUSA, and am a very happy customer. The products are high-quality plastic, fit very well, and do not move. I bought a base and clip for a friend's FJ Cruiser who lives on a very bumpy 9-mile 4,000' dirt road climb from the nearest pavement. The clip stays fixed solid in the vent mounting base.

ProClip is very Tesla-aware. They have a custom mounting base for the Model S that clips onto the frame below the 17" display. Once the base is on, you can select the holder that suits your phone and your needs.
View attachment 93068
In this photo, the clip is to the right of the screen, blocking nothing. To make it easier for the passenger to adjust the volume, I needed to move the clip closer to the driver's side, which blocks access to some of the touch area on the bottom of the display, and gets in the way of the on-screen keyboard when a phone is present. But it's better than mounting at the vent which would block the airflow.

I did see that mounting option when I looked at their website. My concern was possibly scratching or denting the metal around the 17 inch display. I already have a couple of small dings in my trim, from something an installer did, so I'm thinking that trim may not be particularly hard. Looking at the pictures on the Proclips website, it didn't look like there was any padding or anything to protect the trim from scuffing, scraping, etc. So I'd be interested in first hand experiences with this aspect of it, if you've moved it after using it for a while.

Thanks!

It's 3M VHB. I removed it with floss and a fingernail and it didn't stain / damage the carbon fibre. I think Pete has said it it's easy to get off the other finishes as well.

Thanks. Yes, 3M VHB is wonderful stuff, up there with WD40, duct tape and zip ties if stranded on a desert island! I've had to remove mine a few times (matte obeche), I have some plastic pry bars that make it super easy, but dental floss does a great job of breaking the bond too, just use a good amount of it so it doesn't cut into your fingers.

I tried a few different mounts for my iPhone 6 (not a Plus, just the regular old 6) and recently purchased this (Amazon.com: Car Mount, Mpow Grip Magic Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Holder for iPhone and Andriod Cellphones, One Step Mounting, Reinforced Magnet, Easier and Safer Driving: Cell Phones Accessories) and it is far and away the best yet, for me. I slipped the mount onto the small piece or lever of the air vent to the right of the steering wheel which protrudes for you to move and angle the vents. Meaning, instead of pushing it onto an actual air vent vein, it slipped nicely and securely enough onto the lever, which allows the phone when mounted to protrude enough that the lip of the dash does not push on the phone. And, you can just push the mount left, right, up or down to adjust the vent, just as you would the lever if the mount were not on it. It comes with a super slim magnet you just slip into the back of your phone case (it is no thicker than a couple pieces of paper) and voila, your phone sticks to the mount, and you just pull it right off when you want. Cheap as dirt ($6) and it works terrifically well for me.

I tried a few different mounts for my iPhone 6 (not a Plus, just the regular old 6) and recently purchased this (Amazon.com: Car Mount, Mpow Grip Magic Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Holder for iPhone and Andriod Cellphones, One Step Mounting, Reinforced Magnet, Easier and Safer Driving: Cell Phones Accessories) and it is far and away the best yet, for me. I slipped the mount onto the small piece or lever of the air vent to the right of the steering wheel which protrudes for you to move and angle the vents. Meaning, instead of pushing it onto an actual air vent vein, it slipped nicely and securely enough onto the lever, which allows the phone when mounted to protrude enough that the lip of the dash does not push on the phone. And, you can just push the mount left, right, up or down to adjust the vent, just as you would the lever if the mount were not on it. It comes with a super slim magnet you just slip into the back of your phone case (it is no thicker than a couple pieces of paper) and voila, your phone sticks to the mount, and you just pull it right off when you want. Cheap as dirt ($6) and it works terrifically well for me.

is your AC strength very reduced with the phone blocking the vent? that is why i have never gotten a vent mount...just curious

With just the mount on, only a bit. With the phone on the mount, yeah, ac does not blow directly on me as forcefully and the phone gets super cold. I don't think that is harmful to the phone but I can't say I know for sure. The reduced ac volume hasn't bothered me, but perhaps if I lived in a super hot climate (I am in Southern California, near the ocean, so sometimes warm but not crazy hot), perhaps it would be an unacceptable trade off.

iclever
Amazon.com: Car Mount, iClever® ICH04 Magnet CaptureFit Universal Windshield Accessories

It's inexpensive enough that I'll just order it and see how it goes. I guess one question is whether or not the suction bottom will hold to the obeche matte.

Well, the item arrived quite quickly. It was here on Monday. I installed it in the car very late Monday night, and it seemed to hold OK. With the metal plate inside my phone case, loose between the back of the phone and the case, the phone seemed to adhere well enough to the magnet. I knew that if that was an issue, I could always use the smaller, round piece of metal, and attach it to the outside of my phone's case.

My wife took the Model S to work on Tuesday, and when she came home I asked her what she thought of the new phone holder. She didn't know what I was talking about. I didn't see how she could have missed it. Well, as it turns out, it must have fallen off and onto the floor on the passenger's side before she left for work in the morning.

So last night, Tuesday evening, I tried to install it again, making doubly certain to really apply some pressure before flipping the latch to attach the suction cup to the obeche matte. I also was very careful to make sure there was no way there was any gap to allow any air under the suction cup. (I was hoping I had just done something wrong the night before.) Unfortunately this morning the entire unit was again, on the floor of the car.

The bottom line is the suction cup apparently just won't adhere to the obeche matte the way it will to glass or another smoother surface.

Note that in these cases the unit became detached without the weight of a phone, in just a few hours, so there was no chance it would have worked with a phone attached, over the course of days.

I'm back to considering the ProClip options.

Does the vent option, combined with a universal adjustable holder provide enough of an angling option such that I'd be able to use that on the passenger side vent, just to the right of the center console, instead of the driver's side vent to the left of it? I ask because while it would still block airflow there, I rarely drive with a passenger, and even then, assuming it's the cooling I'm concerned about, I'm likely to want it cooler than my passenger does, so having that one passenger vent somewhat blocked shouldn't be a problem.

Can someone who has this Proclip combination comment on whether or not this setup would work well?

Also, how easy is it to just remove the whole thing and pop it into the center console when I leave the car if I'd rather not have it cluttering up the dash when I'm not in the car? I know the two parts screw together, and that the part that clips onto the vents, well--clips onto the vents. I'm just wondering how easy it is to clip it on and off, and if repeated installation and removal would put any real wear and tear on the vents and/or on the Proclip unit.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Why not use Waze on the browser?

Waze for Tesla Incidents

Lots of reasons. I prefer the voice prompts for alerts, rather than looking at the map, plus they're a little more specific and granular (i.e. they're relative to the direction of travel, and differentiate between types of hazards). Red light cameras are also notified, but not on the browser. But more importantly, Waze is a crowd-sourced system, and viewing via the browser is a consumption-only model. I've been a supporter of Waze since the beginning, edited maps and so on, so I prefer to be able to contribute to the data, when safe to do so.

Can someone who has this Proclip combination comment on whether or not this setup would work well?

Also, how easy is it to just remove the whole thing and pop it into the center console when I leave the car if I'd rather not have it cluttering up the dash when I'm not in the car? I know the two parts screw together, and that the part that clips onto the vents, well--clips onto the vents. I'm just wondering how easy it is to clip it on and off, and if repeated installation and removal would put any real wear and tear on the vents and/or on the Proclip unit.

Thanks!

Alas, I wish I could tell you. The only clip I have is the one that mounts on the lower edge of the center display. I leave it in place all the time.
My best friend will be in town this weekend, and I'll give the vent clip he has a thorough review and see if I can answer your question after that.