Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Handle update to 2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bhodgins

el mono cochino
May 16, 2018
Here
I had a micro-switch break in my G2.0 rear handle. Picked up a 2.1 unit, but it came bare, no LED, no harness or controller.
I'll order the jumper harness 1069106-01-B as well as the controller. Does anyone know where the controller mounts to? It looks like on the front door accoustic panels there is a spot for the controller to mount to, but correct me if I'm wrong, the back seals are soft? Or is there a newer replacement? Where do I mount the retrofitted controller to? The area where the original harness is clipped to at the back of the door?

Lots of videos on fixing the older G2.0 handles, but the cost of the upgrade kit is more than the new handle. Speaking of cost, how is the LED $100? Really? One too many zeros there.
Has anyone retrofitted the old LED with a new plug to fit onto the G2.1 sensor?

I'm assuming after it's done, I'll need to go to the SC to have the unit calibrated?
20231013_210438.jpg

Can I re-use the existing seals (handle assembly and door cavity) with fresh butyl, or do the new vapor barrier seals come with sealant?

Cheers,

Brad

Since out of warranty, I've managed to fix or replace:
Front brakes
Power Trunk mounting clips and studs
4-way coolant valves
Retrofit aftermarket rear door speakers
Rear sway bar
rear parking brakes

Reactions: Akikiki
I’m in the same situation now, prepared to make the change, also rear handle and currently only LH rear has been upgraded to v3. by Tesla. Yes, old cover is soft. Tesla has now new, more stronger plastic cover which needs to be screwed on (5pc). It’s part of the change they provide (see photos). They will install threaded plugs on the door frame. You can ask if they will sell the new cover, see the part no. on the photo.
I will try to use this current soft cover but will attach it with additional cable ties, also the controller. For the LED you will need the new plug so can’t say if it will work by just using the old wire. So your replacement came as plane unit without handle and needed harness? It does look like v3. how do you know it’s v2.1? Here are my LH rear photos that Tesla did upgrade:

E9747C86-3346-481F-8A5C-22DEFDE3D293.jpeg

975BCA7E-C1E0-4F8D-9FFA-6FA9FA196A95.jpeg

274E046B-67B4-465D-92B2-69C829EC893A.jpeg

I have reused all the butyl seals, so far still good. And you can calibrate the handle afterwards on your own, there is a section in the service menu. Have you seen that?

Thank you for the part number on the plastic plate, I wasn't sure which one it was.

By the service menu, do you mean plugging a laptop into the service port? I don't have access to that, if that's the case.
My car is a 2013 P85. According to the local SC, G3.0 won't work in my car because of the bolt pattern change and the wiring, so 2.1 was designed with the same mechanism as 3.0, hall effect sensor instead of pesky micro-switches. My part # is 1135722-S0-A (ASY- RR LEFT HAND, GEN2.1 DH, NOGRIP, SVC RPL).

I've ordered the wiring harness with the controller from eBay, I'll look for the hard plate and some butyl tape for the handle backing as mine is no longer sticky. That just leaves the light.

Can you please give me more details on the calibration? I thought that service access required an expensive monthly subscription with Tesla.

Attachments

• 20231014_094638.jpg
    20231014_094638.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 41
I’m in the same situation now, prepared to make the change, also rear handle and currently only LH rear has been upgraded to v3. by Tesla. Yes, old cover is soft. Tesla has now new, more stronger plastic cover which needs to be screwed on (5pc). It’s part of the change they provide (see photos). They will install threaded plugs on the door frame. You can ask if they will sell the new cover, see the part no. on the photo.
I will try to use this current soft cover but will attach it with additional cable ties, also the controller. For the LED you will need the new plug so can’t say if it will work by just using the old wire. So your replacement came as plane unit without handle and needed harness? It does look like v3. how do you know it’s v2.1? Here are my LH rear photos that Tesla did upgrade:

View attachment 982066
View attachment 982067
View attachment 982068

I have reused all the butyl seals, so far still good. And you can calibrate the handle afterwards on your own, there is a section in the service menu. Have you seen that?
What calibration is required for replacement handles?

Here's an idea that I hope everyone finds useful. I was watching Rich Rebuilds handle removal video. There's a part where he uses the window switch to move the glass up and down to access bolts and get the handle out. He plugged the inside panel back in to use the windows switch. I removed my switch with one Torx #8 driver, so I would not have to struggle with the inside door trim panel. Then I had an idea. I looked and found on eBay the same door switch for <$4.00 Ordered it to have it for next time. I hope I have wasted $4 by never having to need it in the future. The switch is the same as it used on a MB model, just as the driver side switch is. I would encourage every DIY'er to get one. Makes it easier.

I had a micro-switch break in my G2.0 rear handle. Picked up a 2.1 unit, but it came bare, no LED, no harness or controller.
I'll order the jumper harness 1069106-01-B as well as the controller. Does anyone know where the controller mounts to? It looks like on the front door accoustic panels there is a spot for the controller to mount to, but correct me if I'm wrong, the back seals are soft? Or is there a newer replacement? Where do I mount the retrofitted controller to? The area where the original harness is clipped to at the back of the door?

Lots of videos on fixing the older G2.0 handles, but the cost of the upgrade kit is more than the new handle. Speaking of cost, how is the LED $100? Really? One too many zeros there.
Has anyone retrofitted the old LED with a new plug to fit onto the G2.1 sensor?

I'm assuming after it's done, I'll need to go to the SC to have the unit calibrated?View attachment 982013

Can I re-use the existing seals (handle assembly and door cavity) with fresh butyl, or do the new vapor barrier seals come with sealant?

Cheers,

Brad

Since out of warranty, I've managed to fix or replace:
Front brakes
Power Trunk mounting clips and studs
4-way coolant valves
Retrofit aftermarket rear door speakers
Rear sway bar
rear parking brakes
I’m actually having the same problems you are. This is the invoice they are saying what they will replace. I’m having them do it because I have 8 months of the extended service agreement left. Hopefully more things break
IMG_2395.jpeg