Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with old gas ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traditionally folks around here empty all of their old gas cans in to their cars at the beginning of summer. Otherwise gas powered lawn tools don't run so well (or at all sometimes). My mower, hedge trimmer, edger, and a few other things are all electric now (Echo Cordless) but I still have a couple of small gas tools and a snow blower.

So, how to dispose of old gas when it doesn't have a way to plug it in to the fuel plug on a Model S?

* option 1: buy less gas, run the equipment idle until it runs empty at end of season.
* option 2: use a fuel stabilizer and leave the gas in the equipment
* option 3: do both of the above (since some minimal amount of gas will remain unless you disassemble and drain).

The big risk with old fuel is varnish deposits in the small jets and valves of a carburetor. Add a fuel stabilizer like Sea Foam if it's just for seasonal storage or drain the tank, run the engine until it dies then store the drained fuel in a bigger can again with a stabilizer added. It should last a long time.

Of course if you will never need the fuel again, give it away.

Thanks all. I found a local repair shop to take it. They have a 200 gallon tank for old gas. Guy said that every spring about a third of their repairs are nothing more than dumping the old gas that sat for the winter, refilling with new gas + a cleaner, and starting it up.

Our hazmat disposal site takes used oil but not gas except 1 day in the spring and 1 in the fall and the spring day was a few weeks ago. Did ask a couple of neighbors and they weren't interested (BTW, one has a Volt and one a LEAF - enviro friendly neighborhood this).

I do use seafoam in stuff that'll be sitting (snowblower over summer, other stuff over winter) and will run the tank dry with it.

Thanks again,