Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What outstanding issues to expect on a MX today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been reading the various helpful comments and feedback from members here. Great forum!

I know some features are being addressed still by Tesla, but regarding some items I’m reading about, can anyone comment on what to expect in a MX purchased today?

Specifically:
- front doors opening properly without USS (ie sensing if nearby obstacles)
- falcon doors closing properly (vs manual override) with three carseats in the back

It’s sounds like matrix headlights and HW4 are a safe bet. And probably assume that many enhanced autopilot features won’t be functional (given lack of USS).

Any input welcome. Thx in advance.

Expect heavy to severe negative rear camber causing accelerated inner edge wear on your tires. Expect low is your target ride height. Expect various panel and door alignment issues. Expect soft paint and chips especially without mud flaps. Expect front door motors to only open a few inches and to fight you constantly. Otherwise I’m quite happy with mine and plaid is insane acceleration!

Expect heavy to severe negative rear camber causing accelerated inner edge wear on your tires. Expect low is your target ride height. Expect various panel and door alignment issues. Expect soft paint and chips especially without mud flaps. Expect front door motors to only open a few inches and to fight you constantly. Otherwise I’m quite happy with mine and plaid is insane acceleration!
The phantom falcon doors issues widespread or limited?

The front door issue sounds like a software issue (working with non USS), no?

The phantom falcon doors issues widespread or limited?

The front door issue sounds like a software issue (working with non USS), no?
I haven't had any FWD issues on my MXP (June build). But the front door issue is (still) annoying in the way it pops open just a few inches, and has to be pried open the rest of the way...without even a proper door handle. Really hoping this improves with a future software update, perhaps as Tesla Vision and/or occupancy network evolves.

I haven't had any FWD issues on my MXP (June build). But the front door issue is (still) annoying in the way it pops open just a few inches, and has to be pried open the rest of the way...without even a proper door handle. Really hoping this improves with a future software update, perhaps as Tesla Vision and/or occupancy network evolves.
Just to under better, it Jones 2-3 inches and then you need to pull it open against resistance? Or it opens like a normal door.

Just to under better, it Jones 2-3 inches and then you need to pull it open against resistance? Or it opens like a normal door.
It opens just a few inches *ALMOST ALL THE TIME*. But I have very very rarely seen it with a wide open space next to it open fully even with the refresh. No rhyme or reason right now on when it decides to do that though. The motors typically disengage after about 2 seconds. If you pull before that it *FIGHTS* you to open it further as if you are the wind. But if you wait, it then lets you open and close. I do notice it seems to get harder to open as I get closer to things, or at least I tell myself that. Dunno what’s real and what’s imagined intelligence.

It opens just a few inches *ALMOST ALL THE TIME*. But I have very very rarely seen it with a wide open space next to it open fully even with the refresh. No rhyme or reason right now on when it decides to do that though. The motors typically disengage after about 2 seconds. If you pull before that it *FIGHTS* you to open it further as if you are the wind. But if you wait, it then lets you open and close. I do notice it seems to get harder to open as I get closer to things, or at least I tell myself that. Dunno what’s real and what’s imagined intelligence.
Ugh. That’s disappointing.

Ugh. That’s disappointing.
Personally, I think it not opening wide is fine. I do wish it disengaged the motors faster. As cool as it is for it to open wide for you, I've seen a few videos where the Xs were parallel parked, and it can easily open wide and smack into oncoming traffic, so I'd rather it just be a smoother quick pop opening.

This happened to someone in Norway.

Makes it seem worth waiting (in the context of the front and falcon door issues) on a MX purchase until they figure out a solution (either fix Vision or add back USS). Just such a bad track record for addressing issues in a timely manner (see EAP being hobbled, etc).

Frustrating because I’d be ready to pull the trigger otherwise.

Personally, I think it not opening wide is fine. I do wish it disengaged the motors faster. As cool as it is for it to open wide for you, I've seen a few videos where the Xs were parallel parked, and it can easily open wide and smack into oncoming traffic, so I'd rather it just be a smoother quick pop opening.
To me, I like how the front door works the way it is. I think, the motor resistance is good to help prevent the door from sailing with the wind when open and smack into the car next to yours or other things. I have seen so many time in the parking lot where someone open the door and caught the wind and hit other car really hard. I am not complaining with my XP. BTW: the image you shared, I believe that simply an ignorance operator which can happen with any car.

Last edited:
Path to happiness is focusing on all the good things the Model X brings. Focusing on smaller idiosyncrasies only brings disappointment.

These are tremendous cars. Powerful, great ride comfort along with good handling. Amazing Grand Touring cars with long range and quick Supercharging.

Focusing on any potential lacking ruins the experience.

To me, I like how the front door works the way it is. I think, the motor resistance is good to help prevent the door from sailing with the wind when open and smack into the car next to yours or other things. I have seen so many time in the parking lot where someone open the door and caught the wind and hit other car really hard. I am not complaining with my XP. BTW: the image you shared, I believe that simply an ignorance operator which can happen with any car.
If I recall the full context, the driver was loading something in the trunk, was taking a step toward the front door and they had the auto present on which detected him near and flew open. 😅

If I recall the full context, the driver was loading something in the trunk, was taking a step toward the front door and they had the auto present on which detected him near and flew open. 😅
As cool as it is with auto-present, that is the very reason I disabled that feature in mine. It’s that exact situation come to mind when I came across that option :p. I am surprise that didn’t happen more often…. I supposed accident happened.

Path to happiness is focusing on all the good things the Model X brings. Focusing on smaller idiosyncrasies only brings disappointment.

These are tremendous cars. Powerful, great ride comfort along with good handling. Amazing Grand Touring cars with long range and quick Supercharging.

Focusing on any potential lacking ruins the experience.
Agree and disagree. There are truely great EVs. Awesome charging, range, and drivability. No doubt. But these are questions about pretty core aspects of the experience- aka opening the front or rear door. This isn’t a minor cosmetic thing.

I have a 2019 Raven with USS and my auto present works as intended. It's a nice party trick, but I could seriously take it or leave it. I experience the motor resistance multiple times daily when exiting the car as it's parked pretty close to another car in the garage. A second or two for the motors to release before exiting the car is no big deal and I don't even think about it until I read these posts. Losing reliable park assist would be a much bigger deal to me. I'd also be more concerned about some of the other stubborn issues with the X (rear inner tire wear, front half shafts, FWD roof seals) ... although those might be improved on the newer cars.

Reactions: Mike7564