Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What options/features are removed next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
Since Tesla has been on a roll removing options lately (removing trim options, paints, seat ventilation, X adaptive spoiler, S metal roof, hi-amp charger options, accessory hitch...) it occurred for me to ask what might be next in the quest to avoid "customer confusion" and "streamlining the order experience"?

Here is my more out there suggestion:

Removing the opening mechanism from the left falcon wing door as customers overwhelmingly prefer to exit from the right.

And then perhaps a little more realistic concern:

I could see them getting rid of the HEPA filter - or alternatively making it a standard feature to simplify manufacturing, as they did by adding the electric trunk as standard on Model S.

Any other ideas?

As a parent that buckles a child into the safety seat I use the left FWD about 3x as often as the right.
Except mine has been refusing to open with obstacles detected under sunlight / heat. Taking it in for the 2nd time next week and I do not expect them to solve it because all they do is replace the sensor which they already did last time.

So, it's not so out of line at this rate, for me.

As a parent that buckles a child into the safety seat I use the left FWD about 3x as often as the right.

I was tempted to answer "you won't care", but I think Model 3 is taking the feature removal and down-selling to a whole new level, so I think Model X might still be excempt here...

One thing Model X has been missing long are the coil springs, I wonder how long Model S gets to keep them. Model S spoiler is also something I would not be surprised to go away at some point.

• Disagree
Reactions: Canuck
I think the 2nd row center console (6-seats) will be the next thing to go. It was probably one of the most requested features, but will likely be one of the least purchased options. The phone dock will be the next thing to go.

What we need to watch also, is, do some of these (re-)appear as aftersale add-ons? If you do not have the option for the 72 charger at the factory (all get 48 or 72), can you still upgrade later if you have a 48?

Same for the HEPA as part of PUP. That was there for a couple of weeks or a month, but the add-on aftersale is now gone. On purpose or due to lack of parts?

Since Tesla has been on a roll removing options lately (removing trim options, paints, seat ventilation, X adaptive spoiler, S metal roof, hi-amp charger options, accessory hitch...) it occurred for me to ask what might be next in the quest to avoid "customer confusion" and "streamlining the order experience"?

Here is my more out there suggestion:

Removing the opening mechanism from the left falcon wing door as customers overwhelmingly prefer to exit from the right.

And then perhaps a little more realistic concern:

I could see them getting rid of the HEPA filter - or alternatively making it a standard feature to simplify manufacturing, as they did by adding the electric trunk as standard on Model S.

Any other ideas?
Wheels will be optional!
The Bio filter will go soon as it is a total flop and gimmick!
After that, the ability to charge the car will be removed.

I think the 2nd row center console (6-seats) will be the next thing to go. It was probably one of the most requested features, but will likely be one of the least purchased options. The phone dock will be the next thing to go.

Funny, I've been on the fence to order but hadnt been able to convince myself to pull the trigger on a 5 Seater. But just ordered the 6 seater because the center console sold me! Delivery in June.

I know some folks want the center console to be removable, but for me, having dual captain's chairs WITH armrests was the key factor. The last row wil likely be folded down 95% of the time.

As much as I want to mock this, I can't... Tesla's approach here has kept me on the fence with regards to purchasing a Model X...

I still, to this day, don't understand why Tesla's interiors are so abysmal compared to say a even a 5 series BMW or Mercedes S Class, or insert pretty much any car from any other manufacturer here... Hell, I have a neighbor who just bought a brand new Kia, their top end whatever it's called, and I was actually blown away at the interior quality compared to my Model S... Yeah... KIA????

When Kia is beating you with the interior quality/features/options game, you're clearly not doing it right... Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Kia is an ICE but I'm wayyyy beyond that excuse at this point...

Jeff

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
As much as I want to mock this, I can't... Tesla's approach here has kept me on the fence with regards to purchasing a Model X...

To be fair, I think Model X is above Model S in interior quality. Things like the lighted trim and door/trunk buttons etc. are nicer designs, as are the trimmed doors IMO. There is a certain amount of finesse that has gone into it, though it gets messy soon as you think about the later additions like the five-seater that don't quite fit.

But of course Model X forgoes some/many practicalities or functionali things of Model S such as seven-seat folding, opening sunroof etc.

Last edited:
Jeff, I think you make a valid point in questioning why Tesla chooses to not step up it's interior game like the other luxury vehicle manufacturers. My dad told me that he was pleasantly surprised by the interior of the Genesis and how it was very similar to the Germans in terms of every facet of the interior.

I have both the S and the X, the S's interior was simple but the seats are very uncomfortable for a luxury sports sedan. The X's seats are several steps up from the S's seats and I was very happy. I wish there were some things that Tesla would be willing to do to bring its interior game on par with the big luxury car companies but maybe if Tesla did, would that push the price to closer to 200k? And at that price point, I think we would all reconsider Teslas and buy the supercars instead, lol.

Things like better soundproofing, some kind of retracting cover for the pano roof (on hot days, I live in SoCal), and more comfortable seats would be some of the things that won't require too much effort or money into the design (for the S). FWDs and the X's windshield are cool but I feel like they're overkill given that my garage has a very low ceiling (I live/ own a very old house) and the windshield seems prone to costly damage/ long time to replace it. I'm merely speaking from my own perspective so don't send me hate messages. :p

I guess at the end of the day, most of us wonder why Tesla chose to skip or skimp on certain things when we want the company to always be on top of its game throughout its cars. Overall, I really like the X, a major and much needed improvement over the S.

Reactions: pjoseph
Jeff, I think you make a valid point in questioning why Tesla chooses to not step up it's interior game like the other luxury vehicle manufacturers. My dad told me that he was pleasantly surprised by the interior of the Genesis and how it was very similar to the Germans in terms of every facet of the interior.

I have both the S and the X, the S's interior was simple but the seats are very uncomfortable for a luxury sports sedan. The X's seats are several steps up from the S's seats and I was very happy. I wish there were some things that Tesla would be willing to do to bring its interior game on par with the big luxury car companies but maybe if Tesla did, would that push the price to closer to 200k? And at that price point, I think we would all reconsider Teslas and buy the supercars instead, lol.

Things like better soundproofing, some kind of retracting cover for the pano roof (on hot days, I live in SoCal), and more comfortable seats would be some of the things that won't require too much effort or money into the design (for the S). FWDs and the X's windshield are cool but I feel like they're overkill given that my garage has a very low ceiling (I live/ own a very old house) and the windshield seems prone to costly damage/ long time to replace it. I'm merely speaking from my own perspective so don't send me hate messages. :p

I guess at the end of the day, most of us wonder why Tesla chose to skip or skimp on certain things when we want the company to always be on top of its game throughout its cars. Overall, I really like the X, a major and much needed improvement over the S.
For the seat part at least the front seat is now the same in Model S as Model X but the back seat could be improved.

I still, to this day, don't understand why Tesla's interiors are so abysmal compared to say a even a 5 series BMW or Mercedes S Class, or insert pretty much any car from any other manufacturer here... Hell, I have a neighbor who just bought a brand new Kia, their top end whatever it's called, and I was actually blown away at the interior quality compared to my Model S... Yeah... KIA????

When Kia is beating you with the interior quality/features/options game, you're clearly not doing it right... Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Kia is an ICE but I'm wayyyy beyond that excuse at this point...

Jeff
FWIW...I have had a few model Ss as loaners. The interior of my X far exceeded the S loaners as far as fit finish, materials (PUP) and comfort. I understand the basic layout is the same, but that is as far as the similarities go. ...again, just my opinion.

Since the X does not get free supercharging, maybe they need to take away this from the Model S shop? I don't visit the shop much, so is this just left over from the old day? o_O Tesla — Enable Supercharging

According to this option:

Enable Supercharging on your Model S with an over-the-air upgrade. When Supercharging is enabled, drivers can charge for no additional cost at any of Tesla’s expanding network of 120 kW Tesla Superchargers. Superchargers are external chargers designed to replenish over half a charge in 20 minutes.

To order, please visit your MyTesla account and select your Model S. If your vehicle is eligible, the Supercharging upgrade option will be visible in the Available Upgrades section. Upon confirmation of purchase, the over-the-air process will occur immediately if the vehicle is connected and idle at the time of purchase.