Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of car is that? TESLA! Who makes it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a similar issue last week while registering my car at the DMV.

Lady behind the counter looks at the paperwork and says, "Tesla? Who makes that, General Motors or something?" Then she had to ask 3 different people what to fill in on the line that asks for "number of cylinders". It was hilarious because she nearly had every employee there trying to help her with the paperwork and none of them knew what to do. Then it got uncomfortable when she saw the bill of sale and loudly said, "Eighty three thousand, is that how much this cost? WOW!" Now everyone in the room is starring at me. UGH!

Had a similar issue last week while registering my car at the DMV.

Lady behind the counter looks at the paperwork and says, "Tesla? Who makes that, General Motors or something?" Then she had to ask 3 different people what to fill in on the line that asks for "number of cylinders". It was hilarious because she nearly had every employee there trying to help her with the paperwork and none of them knew what to do. Then it got uncomfortable when she saw the bill of sale and loudly said, "Eighty three thousand, is that how much this cost? WOW!" Now everyone in the room is starring at me. UGH!

I think I set a world spitting distance record.

So I got this question for the first time today -- 3.5 weeks into ownership...

I had just gotten into the car when leaving the office. A guy that had just parked was walking by in front of me, and looked puzzled when he looked at the nosecone, then started walking over to me. I put the window down and he asked "what kind of car is that." After I answered, he asked "do they still make those things?" When I answered yes, he asked what model year it was...

Today I got this yet again. Car to the left of me at a traffic light. Driver motions me to roll down passenger side window so he can talk. Asks if it's the new Jaguar. "It's a Jaguar right?" I answer it's a Tesla. He replies "who makes it." I answer Tesla. His girlfriend laughs at him and says "I told you it was a Tesla." He then asks if it's American built. My yes makes him very happy.

Same day waiting to pick someone curbside up at Penn Station in Baltimore. Driver behind me get out of his car and walks up to ask questions. Thinking the car is charged totally by solar he ask what happens on a cloudy day. "Will it still charge" he asks. I get a big hoot out of that one.

The Tesla Motors Club ought to print up a bunch of postcard-sized color glossy info cards that have a picture of the Tesla logo and the car and a quick at-a-glance fact-sheet type box of info, along with a list of handy URLs (teslamotors.com, teslamotorsclub.com, etc), a set of logos of the magazines/orgs that have reviewed/praised the Model S (Motor Trend, Automobile, Consumer Reports, etc).

Then keep a pile of 'em in your glove compartment. And a few in your pocket, jacket, or purse.

When someone asks The Question, pop one out and happily say "here ya go!"

(Notwithstanding whatever TMC might end up doing, I plan to do this very thing if and when I get my Model S.)

Two weeks into ownership and a lady pulls up next to me at a light.

"What kind of car is that?", she asked.
"A Tesla", I replied.
"Who makes that?", she asked.
"Tesla", I replied.
"Is it out yet?", she asked.
"Yes, they start at about $70k.", I replied.
"Yikes! I'll ride with you!!", she replied.

I got this series of questions yesterday, and my Model S hasn't even been delivered yet! Took my car to Carmax for an appraisal & told the associate I was getting a Tesla Model S...

He had not even heard of the company. We spent most of the time while waiting for the appraisal browsing the Tesla website. His best comment: Its going to be along time before we see one off these on our lot!

I got this series of questions yesterday, and my Model S hasn't even been delivered yet! Took my car to Carmax for an appraisal & told the associate I was getting a Tesla Model S...

He had not even heard of the company. We spent most of the time while waiting for the appraisal browsing the Tesla website. His best comment: Its going to be along time before we see one off these on our lot!

I'll probably sell my current car at Carmax; I'll make sure I do what you did and mention to them that I'm getting a Model S and see if I get the same reaction ;)