Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What have you Smoked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to share this story from earlier this week...

I happened to be leaving work at the same time as a colleague who drives a 911.

After leaving the parking lot we end up next to each other at a stoplight. I look over and smile and he says, "No fair! I have to wait for mine to warm up before I can really go for it!" At that moment the light turned green and I stomped on it, disappearing into the sunset.

So yet another reason EV's are better than ICE's :)

Who: White kid
What: Dodge Charger (w/ what sounded like a turbo)
Where: Dallas North Tollway Frontage (about a mile from GBTP)
How: Saw him coming up, he passed me. I got behind him at the next light. Went around him after the light turned green. (sounded like he was trying to catch up, but couldn't get up enough RPMs.)
When: Yesterday. (Sept. 2012)

Like most Roadster owners, I live for freeway on-ramps.

A few days ago I was approaching a great one that has a stoplight right before it. I thought I was going to be first in line, but at the last minute some other car changed lanes and got in front of me for the on-ramp lane. Dang, no roller coaster ride this time. Wait a minute...on the opposite side of "SLK32", I saw the letters "AMG". Hey, this could be fun after all. Do you think he sees the bright yellow car in his rear view mirror?

The light changed, and my hopes were dashed. We proceeded forward at a what seemed a very sedate pace. But after a couple of seconds the Mercedes jerked, and I realized he had the pedal down - it just didn't do much. Unfortunately there was no place to pass, so I just had to wait behind him as he built up a head of steam. I steadily pressed my pedal down farther, leaving plenty of space but not letting him get away; by the time we got on the freeway, I was flooring it and we were pretty well matched. He kept going as I let off; I was in no mood for a ticket (and I am sure his car would have done better at illegal speeds anyway. Them punks and their fancy "gears").

Since I was behind him, I didn't have the chance to "smoke" him. But I found it amusing that I honestly thought he wasn't trying at first.

Last edited:
Like most Roadster owners, I live for freeway on-ramps.

A few days ago I was approaching a great one that has a stoplight right before it. I thought I was going to be first in line, but at the last minute some other car changed lanes and got in front of me for the on-ramp lane. Dang, no roller coaster ride this time. Wait a minute...on the opposite side of "SLK32", I saw the letters "AMG". Hey, this could be fun after all. Do you think he sees the bright yellow car in his rear view mirror?

The light changed, and my hopes were dashed. We proceeded forward at a what seemed a very sedate pace. But after a couple of seconds the Mercedes jerked, and I realized he had the pedal down - it just didn't do much. Unfortunately there was no place to pass, so I just had to wait behind him as he built up a head of steam. I steadily pressed my pedal down farther, leaving plenty of space but not letting him get away; by the time we got on the freeway, I was flooring it and we were pretty well matched. He kept going as I let off; I was in no mood for a ticket (and I am sure his car would have done better at higher speeds anyway. Them punks and their fancy "gears").

Since I was behind him, I didn't have the chance to "smoke" him. But I found it amusing that I honestly thought he wasn't trying at first.
Time for a front bumper sticker:
If you can see this your gear-shifting dinosaur is slowing me down.

Who: Another participant in a roadway race to raise funds for the CHP (California Hwy Patrol) 11-99 Club
What: Porsche GT-2

Where: Malibu Cyn. & PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy)

How:
I got behind him at the light. Revved my FAKE engine, he looked in his rear view and chuckled.
This was when the exotics had not much knowledge of the Tesla Roadster.
Turned right on PCH and then went around him. He sounded like he was trying to catch up, but couldn't get it up!
At the after party, he recognized me and confessed that he tried to catch me and honestly had only minimal knowledge about the car but now wanted to hear more!

When: 9/12/10
Here is a picture of some of the cars at the after party:
(you can actually spot two other EVs in the background)
2010_09_12-CHP 11-99 Rally 033.jpg

Today on my way in to work I was coming up Sepulveda/PCH in El Segundo toward the 105 when a yellow Dino Ferrari (my childhood dream car) came up behind and then alongside me. It wasn't much of a race as that car is in my opinion jaw-droppingly attractive, but doesn't have much in the way of performance compared to the Roadster, or really any modern-day car (0-60 in the low 7s). We nodded at each other, and I couldn't help but feel nostalgic as here was the car I had in my youth thought was unattainable and perfect in every way, only I was looking at it from the driver's seat of my current dream car and, setting aside market values, there was no way I would be willing to trade my Roadster for that Dino.

Dino 1.jpg

Along the same lines, when I was getting my 3-series ready for sale a couple years ago I was talking to the service rep at the local BMW dealer and he was telling me that my 2008 328i was faster 0-60 than a 1995 M3. I just checked it, and sure enough, it's true. 6.0 to 6.1. And the 2012 328 is even faster than that, at 5.5.

BMW 0-60 Times & BMW Quarter Mile Times | BMW E36, X5, BMW M3 0-60, M5, M6, M1, 330, Z4 and Cabrio Bimmer 0 to 60 stats!

It's amazing how perspectives on what is fast have changed.

I never smoke anyone. If Tesla had an "old man" mode on the control panel I'd probably use it.

Last week on a two lane, hilly, county road a lady in an SUV was doing the Talladega Bump drafting maneuver (while talking on the cellphone) behind me. She apparently had enough of 35mph which for ME is plenty on these roads but admittedly slower than the vast majority on these roads. So she moved out to pass on an uphill and didn't see the approaching car that I saw. Imminent collision so I let Shane have his head and disappeared at about 70 till we passed the oncoming car. She saw the car and had room to get back over.

I slowed back down to 35 and apparently she wasn't impressed with Shane's acceleration or the fact that I may have saved her life. She zoomed back up into the drafting position and I pulled over to let her pass. As she zipped by she gave me the Hawaiin good luck sign so...

Learn something every day. Someone merged in front of me today without signaling (common around here). He didn't really cut me off that close but decided to flash my headlights twice for educational purposes (it was during the day so wasn't obtrusive). He decided to display the Hawaiian good luck sign as well as flashing the lights during the day was obviously uncalled for.

So....
This 1980s era Ford Fiesta was ahead of me at a light. When the light change I figured it would be the usual wait for the slow little car to turn & pull over.

The guy, instead, moved pretty quickly...100 yards in I realized the guy was hammering that little engine for all she had. When I zipped effortlessly past at 70mph I looked over and the dude had the biggest grin on his face like he knew that was going to happen and had wanted it to happen just so he could watch the show!

Evan, Via Tapatalk