Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
  • SiriusXM - I have been listening to SXM in my cars forever, and I am addicted to it. I miss it now and want it back.
  • Head-up Display - This could be one of my dealbrakers if we don't have it in the 2024.
  • CarPlay - Love that, because any map on my iPhone is better than anyone's in-car navigation.
  • Cooled Seats - I live in the southeast US. 'Nuff said.
  • Awesome 3D Camera views for parking - I love this feature. Parking our Palisade is a dream.
  • Killer Lane Keep - I don't care about the mega self driving stuff, but I really want lane keep assist that does not fight me.
  • Holistic Blind Spot Alerting - I want blind spot alerts in my mirrors, HUD, and audio alerts & steering intervention if I attempt to move into someone.
  • Cross-traffic Alert - Have that too in our other car and really want it on my Lyriq.
  • "Real" Door Handles - I want a one-handed, one-step way to open a car door.
  • Rear Climate Control - Our minivan and SUV experiences have spoiled us for this.
  • Logo Puddle Lights - My friends with Audis and Porsches have that; I want it too.
  • Configurable Regen & OPD Settings - I like the cars that have lots of regen intensity and OPD settings to let you really tailor the car's behavior to your personal perferences. I dislike the one-size approach that Tesla has.
  • Configurable Interior Accent Lighting - This is frivilous, yet I love it in our Palisade. I want this.
  • Wood Trim - I like the look; I don't want carbon fiber, aluminum, or anything simulated.

Thoroughly enjoyed my M3SR+ for 2-1/2 years. Foibles? Yes … like every car I’ve driven since 1969. Have a MYP on order, ETD Feb/Mar 2023, and looking forward to all the new stuff confirmed and/or rumored. In Japan we have New Years Lucky Bags sold at department stores … you don’t know what’s inside until you pay and open the bag! But it’s nearly always Good Stuff and Worth the Gamble. Sometimes you really hit the jackpot.

Wish List:
1) Comfort Suspension. I know that’s supposedly only on LR and RWD, but the MYP I test-drove was already better than my M3SR+ … P, too!
2) Premium Sound. I know you get that with the MYP, but really looking forward to good tunes.
3) and MOST IMPORTANT, Power Frunk. I installed immediately on my M3, and cannot live without it. My wife loves a place for folding shopping bags, umbrellas, and such, and I keep a couple tools, flashlight, and cleaning stuff. If it happens there is no Power Frunk on my new car, Raymond at EV Offer in Hong Kong will get my order while I’m driving home.

All the rest is in the Lucky Bag.

Cheers!

Reactions: DWtsn
1. Bird's eye view (add front camera)
2. Put back ultrasound sensors
3. FSD Beta 11 (merge FSD nad AP stack)
4. Hands free driving similar to Super cruise on selected roads (Tesla has a camera inside so it should not be a problem)
5. Blinds spot monitor in rearview mirrors + RCTA
6. HUD
7. Enable matrix headlights
8. Improve FSD to slow down fast after the speed limit is changed
9. Prefer using maps instead of trying to read signs for speed limits (currently it works really bad)

Reactions: macheboston
- Park Distance Control (Need to have)
- WAY better voice commands (Want to have)
- Matrix headlights (Want to have)
- Power frunk (Nice to have)

- AppStore for better 3rd party integrations and apps. The first AppStore is already on more expensive Tesla’s: Steam. (Want to have)
I installed the Hansshow power frunk/trunk kit on
My 2020 Y and it’s perfect for 800$ CAD tax in.

1. Navigate to DCFC/Manually precondition battery
2. See Tesla Super Charger rates on the app
3. Enable Retrofitting of lost features, within reason, by service or self. (e.g. Pax Lumbar [currently software locked even with equipment installed])
4. EAP as a subscription (would be nice for road trips, would spend $50/month to use EAP on extended trips)
5. Set Gemini without cover as a wheel option
6. Disable auto lock until the phone is out of range, not after the door close timeout expires
7. Install Lithium Ion 16v down stepper to 12v. This would make most 12v accessories work again and reduce fire hazards when plugging into the low-voltage ports.
8. Vehicle to Load/Grid (would massively increase the Tesla Powerplant if enabled)
9. Full-Screen browser mode, with caching and cookies. I am tired of always having to login every time.
10. App Store with Development SDK

After driving around a rental Y for a bit, currently visiting family out of town, there is one thing I'd like Tesla to do.

Let us temporarily add a rental Tesla to the Tesla app. That way we can pre heat or pre cool the car. Plus if it snows and gets cold like it did Christmas week, we can have the Tesla unlatch the door.

• Love
Reactions: macheboston
First, please don't take away any of the many wonderful features of the Y, including at least:
The wonderful free owner's manual and even more wonderful free service manual,
the simple, reliable, elegant design of the mechanics of the car, including the minimalist interior appearance,
the ease of entry, (once the doors are opened),
the quiet, the handling, the ride,
regen, brakes, vast amount of storage,
laminated safety glass all around, {it all is, isn't it?}

And then the list of things it needs to have added:

If you are really serious about making the customer entirely self-sufficient and not having any customer service available to talk to, then the tool box needs to be greatly expanded - including how-to videos, perhaps when an unexpected awful thing occurs, instead of a flashing blue patch on the screen or a mysterious orange icon that looks like honey dripping out of a jar, you could have an AI lady appear on the screen and in a calm, motherly voice, explain what is really going on and what my choices are and can answer clarification questions, (sort of a replacement for human customer service)?

Head rests that are adjustable.
Head rests that are on the top of the seat back, not the front.
Head rests that are vertical instead of leaning forward, forcing me to look at my lap instead of the road.

Seats (front and rear), that are ventilated, leather. and cooled.

A HUD, so the important stuff is in front of me, without taking my eyes off the road and digging through menus, trying to poke a screen (while the car is alternatively accelerating sharply and braking even more sharply while simultaneously whirling the steering wheel half a turn to the left, a turn to the right, back to the left, back to the right, as it is apparently trying to decide what the next most interesting thing to do would be).

Something to carry that would reliably allow me to unlock the car, open any of the doors, (including frunk, trunk and glove box), start the car and drive it away - basically all those things the app is supposed to do and ocassionally does, some of.

Cameras that work when the sun is shining.
Cameras that work when the sun is not shining.
At least front cameras that work when it is raining, which implies windshield wipers that work reliably.

If it must have a touch screen, then one designed by someone who has driven a car, but has never played a video game.

At least make the full range of adapters and mobile charging kit an option in the order form.

A Nav lady that understands "left" and "right" in the same way that humans do - or at least is consistent, this 80% wrong / 20% correct is just very difficult and confusing. (It is very confusing to the dog when she says, "In 500 feet, turn right." and he braces himself for a right turn and then the car whips a left turn while sharply accelerating, flinging him across the back seat).

I don't feel like this is an unreasonable list, most of my cars have had these things for the last 10 years at least.