Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you use more? Trunk/Frunk

What do you use more?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

Just wanted to hear what you guys are using more.
I know we shouldn't be using the Trunk to much because of break in's

But at the same time, I'm weary in opening and closing the hood. I feel this is something that should be fixed in the next iteration. I know people have swapped out springs to make it easier to close but I still worry about that on the freeway so haven't done it.

What are your thoughts on the subject

I like to get Frunky.

I actually use the Frunk more, depending on what I’m transporting. If it’s any kind of food (pizza etc) - I put it in the frunk, so the smell doesn’t permeate the cabin. I figure the trunk is connected to the passenger compartment, but the frunk has the “firewall” to separate it off.

A pizza box fits perfectly in the frunk. Just sayin’.

There's basically a WeatherTech mat in the frunk and that's it. On the rare occasion it might contain a backpack, my wife's purse or a jacket or two, a bag or two of groceries but it's only for the duration of the trip.

The trunk, on the other hand, always has a couple of reusable shopping bags, my windshield shade (when it's not in the cabin), a bottle of Windex and paper towels and another WeatherTech mat. That doesn't include the mobile charger, an air pump and some tools in the lower compartment.

Reactions: C141medic

Pizza transport is probably the most my frunk has been used since getting my M3 a couple weeks ago...plus when parked in the garage, the back end of the car is really close to the garage door when closed so not much room to get behind and access the trunk -- no problem when you can just pop the frunk open and grab your pizza :D

I figure the trunk is connected to the passenger compartment, but the frunk has the “firewall” to separate it off.

Someone said a while back they can smell all the food they put in the frunk. Though maybe that was Chinese instead of pizza... Have you smelled your pizza while bringing it home?

...a bag or two of groceries...

Maybe it's because my kids dig cereal... and there are four of them... but my grocery bags seem too tall for the frunk.

Reactions: dmurphy
Trunk. Frunk is for things I rarely use but always want in the car.

Frunk is not viable for regular use because it’s annoying to open and more so to close. You have to use your phone or the MCU to open it, unless you paid $150 for a fob, and closing it requires getting handprints on the paint.

If the Tesla logo worked as an open button and it could auto-close, I would use it a lot more.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Someone said a while back they can smell all the food they put in the frunk. Though maybe that was Chinese instead of pizza... Have you smelled your pizza while bringing it home?

Maybe it's because my kids dig cereal... and there are four of them... but my grocery bags seem too tall for the frunk.

I can’t smell anything when it’s in the frunk. Hasn’t been an issue.

Hey guys

Just wanted to hear what you guys are using more.
I know we shouldn't be using the Trunk to much because of break in's

But at the same time, I'm weary in opening and closing the hood. I feel this is something that should be fixed in the next iteration. I know people have swapped out springs to make it easier to close but I still worry about that on the freeway so haven't done it.

What are your thoughts on the subject

Swapping out the springs and struts takes a minute or two and is well worth it. There’s no way for the trunk to just spring open by itself. The spring/struts aren’t even involved until the actual heavy metal latch is released in the app/on screen etc. There’s at least one video on YouTube demonstrating this.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Stories of the dangers of denting the frunk are very overstated. So are stories of break-ins for the trunk, for most areas of the country.

That said, I use the trunk more often than the frunk, but not for any strong reason. I generally open either with the app as I approach the car, anyway.

I use the frunk for everything that will fit in there.

I have done the easy close mod and it really makes closing the frunk easy. Sometimes, it doesn't pop up when the moisture seals it tight but I can easily pry it with my finger tip.
"Open frunk" is one of Siri commands I set up. And as I walk up to the car I talk to my Apple watch to open frunk if I have things to put in there.
The hooks in the frunk are really nice. I use them all the time as well.

seo9cy.jpg