Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Causes this [12V] Charging Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could be wrong on any or all of the following but here goes. As an engineer I can't believe Tesla Engineers would believe the car waking up many time per day is a good thing. As I understand it, the following are just a few things that happen when the car wakes from sleep. The PCS uses 12VDC from the battery to DC-to-DC Boost to charge up the motor inverter(s) capacitors to the traction battery current voltage level. After the HV bus voltage is equal to the pack voltage, the main contactors close. When the contactors are open, this is considered a safer state than when they are closed. I was taught in engineering that every component has a finite life and the components involved with the car oscillating back and forth from sleep to wake state are no exception. Probably only the owners who have a Bluetooth 12V monitor installed and monitor such and the those who read about this on the internet even know the car is acting different.
I agree with all. Here are my latest charging graphs last 2 days. Quiet times are when car was charging, driving or phone was off.

Attachments

• 24F3F247-8931-4F03-972A-3CAFEA33F666_1_102_o.jpeg
    24F3F247-8931-4F03-972A-3CAFEA33F666_1_102_o.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 273
  • B700181D-8A61-4C60-89AC-7E3308386DD6_1_102_o.jpeg
    B700181D-8A61-4C60-89AC-7E3308386DD6_1_102_o.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 35
I was taught in engineering that every component has a finite life and the components involved with the car oscillating back and forth from sleep to wake state are no exception.
I certainly had to replace mine already. On a road trip to WY no less. Fortunately the SvC in SLC handed me a loaner and I was on my way within the hour of discovering the problem, namely it wouldn't supercharge.

I too have noticed my M3 waking up very often. My bedroom is above the garage and I hear relays clunking quite a bit (several times per hour). This probably started about 3-4 days ago.
I assume you installed the latest Tesla iPhone App before this started?? As of yesterday the Tesla Android had not been updated. I configured the Tesla App on my wife's phone to NOT automatically update. Have you installed the new car firmware that can report the PSI readings to the phone APP? Unfortunately, as reported in a post above, that does NOT appear to solve the problem. Someone posted they reported this problem the FSD Beta team, do not know how they did that. I have requested FSD Beta access but have not received it to date. That said, the problem needs to get reported to the Tesla Phone App team for the people running the none FSD Beta firmware. Cycling the contactors and pre-charging the HV buss,, via the 12V battery, up to a 100 times a day can't be good in the long run!!

I assume you installed the latest Tesla iPhone App before this started?? As of yesterday the Tesla Android had not been updated. I configured the Tesla App on my wife's phone to NOT automatically update. Have you installed the new car firmware that can report the PSI readings to the phone APP? Unfortunately, as reported in a post above, that does NOT appear to solve the problem. Someone posted they reported this problem the FSD Beta team, do not know how they did that. I have requested FSD Beta access but have not received it to date. That said, the problem needs to get reported to the Tesla Phone App team for the people running the none FSD Beta firmware. Cycling the contactors and pre-charging the HV buss,, via the 12V battery, up to a 100 times a day can't be good in the long run!!
I was one who reported to the FSDBeta team to FORWARD to the app team since there is no clear contact information anywhere in the Tesla web site to report issues. The only other e-mail address I've found is for investor relations. Don't know where else to look other than tweet Musk.

I was one who reported to the FSDBeta team to FORWARD to the app team since there is no clear contact information anywhere in the Tesla web site to report issues. The only other e-mail address I've found is for investor relations. Don't know where else to look other than tweet Musk.
Maybe this problem could be reported by requesting service? Thanks for your reporting clarification!

Yes, app updated but car FW still needs an update to support showing pressures. If this is driven by the app on my phone doesn’t that imply I could turn off background updates for the app (or remove it) to prevent it from waking the car constantly?

Tesla called after submitted service (mobile) request. They pull logs (I wish I could) and conclude third party app. OK maybe so I removed my Watch for Tesla app to see. They will check back later today to see. If still happening I advised I could remove the module that stores the 12 volt battery data and is Bluetooth but made it clear that when phone is off, no wake ups occur and the module stores data until requested. They will keep in touch later today and if still issues I will pull module so they can check again.

Reactions: GSP
Thanks for doing this! Same old story, need to get past first level of support maybe another layer or two before engineering gets involved. Several people have reported this problem in this thread and at least some of them do not have the Bluetooth 12V monitor. Gotta play the game! Other than the 12V monitor drawing a VERY small amount of battery energy, is should have no effect on anything. Tesla should be thanking those of us with the monitor for finding this problem early!

Reactions: Flybyglass and GSP
Thanks for doing this! Same old story, need to get past first level of support maybe another layer or two before engineering gets involved. Several people have reported this problem in this thread and at least some of them do not have the Bluetooth 12V monitor. Gotta play the game! Other than the 12V monitor drawing a VERY small amount of battery energy, is should have no effect on anything. Tesla should be thanking those of us with the monitor for finding this problem early!
Since they contacted me I would suggest all having the issue submit service request. Tesla is data driven and if a flood of requests that will get attention. Credit for calling me for more information. I was going to hang up thinking another car warranty call for a car I no longer own.

Since they contacted me I would suggest all having the issue submit service request. Tesla is data driven and if a flood of requests that will get attention. Credit for calling me for more information. I was going to hang up thinking another car warranty call for a car I no longer own.
Hopefully Tesla is not dragging their feet on your/our issue. After you remove your 12V monitor or tell them you did, uninstall the Tesla App from your phone and tell them the problem went away (which it will). I would put in a service request if I was not in the middle of moving. All Tesla needs to do is have one of their employees install the latest iPhone app and monitor the car for a day to verify the problem (the logs should show the car waking just like our 12V monitor does).

Best of luck!
Regards, Ron

Update on troubleshooting. Day 1, Tesla stated another app was causing the conflict and constant charging of the 12 volt battery as not4ed above and to remove this apps. I had 1 plus maybe 2. One was Watch for Tesla - I doubted this was it because off for months. Removed from watch and iPhone no change. After each change they wanted me to sign out of app and sign in. No changes. 2. removed the bluetooth module monitoring the battery - again I doubted this was the issue, did so and removed app. No change. Also restart phone each time app removed. To remove the module I did it just like removing the 12 volt battery except for leaving the positive terminal attached. Car rebooted. not change. Reported all steps to Tesla. Day 2, Tesla contacts and wants me to change my Tesla account password (both online and app) and since my wife has one, she will need to change hers as well since we have access to each car from the app. Did this, still waiting to finish wife password change but as I write this my car STILL cycles on every few minutes . So does our other Tesla (Y) with later lithium 12 volt and different software (I have FSDBeta she has chosen to wait and is still running basic software. Tesla said once changes made if still occurring it gets escalated to app team. I have the app closed (not just out of view) and still getting this behavior. Will update when escalated to app team.

Update on troubleshooting. Day 1, Tesla stated another app was causing the conflict and constant charging of the 12 volt battery as not4ed above and to remove this apps. I had 1 plus maybe 2. One was Watch for Tesla - I doubted this was it because off for months. Removed from watch and iPhone no change. After each change they wanted me to sign out of app and sign in. No changes. 2. removed the bluetooth module monitoring the battery - again I doubted this was the issue, did so and removed app. No change. Also restart phone each time app removed. To remove the module I did it just like removing the 12 volt battery except for leaving the positive terminal attached. Car rebooted. not change. Reported all steps to Tesla. Day 2, Tesla contacts and wants me to change my Tesla account password (both online and app) and since my wife has one, she will need to change hers as well since we have access to each car from the app. Did this, still waiting to finish wife password change but as I write this my car STILL cycles on every few minutes . So does our other Tesla (Y) with later lithium 12 volt and different software (I have FSDBeta she has chosen to wait and is still running basic software. Tesla said once changes made if still occurring it gets escalated to app team. I have the app closed (not just out of view) and still getting this behavior. Will update when escalated to app team.
Thanks for reporting all this. Some others have reported success when uninstalling the iOS app completely or keeping the phone in Airplane Mode. Have you tried that?