Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other economic and geographic factors play into this.
  • There are no EV-only lanes
  • Gas prices are way lower on the prairies
  • We don't suffer constant gridlock
  • We don't have really long daily commutes
  • Temperatures are lower
  • More people need/want a truck for their work
  • Distance between population centers are much higher.

I could go on... But that doesn't mean that Tesla can't simply put a few SCs to link what few major centers there are on the prairies.

You are right although I don't know that the EV only lanes are that big a deal and they generally aren't EV only, they are HOV lanes that you can use alone if you have a green car/plate. I also don't know that gridlock makes that much of a difference on buying an EV vs an ICEV.

The economics just make much more sense for an EV in places with high gas prices, and govt subsidies. Not that economics would have been that significant in many/most purchases of a Model S/X or Roadster.

Reactions: mrElbe
While I'm not going to be driving electric until my model 3 shows up, I feel your pain. Even if tesla put in 2-stall supercharger stations to connect Alberta to Manitoba. Hell, all I need to get out of Saskatchewan is some kind of level 3 in medicine hat, that's it!

But now I'm getting scared about the recent developments with the model S 75 no longer having an option for 72 amp charger. Which probably means my future model 3 will only have a 48 amp and I will be stuck charging for hours on end at a level 2 to get out of this redneck province.

So it's something like this:
No Saskatchewan superchargers/level 3
Plus
No 72 amp charger for model 3
Equals
No general public feasibility for long distance travel with the model 3 in sask

I definitely see value in what suncountry has done with the level 2 chargers across the trans Canada but I feel like they are missing out on a great business opportunity to establish a level 3 network on the trans Canada from Alberta to Manitoba. Why couldn't they set up a pay per use system thay could benefit every EV owner for long distance travel?
Interestingly enough, at one point in time at the Sun Country store you could buy a Level 3 charging station (inquire for price). They no longer have them though.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
I started charging at 70% full. Or was there some setting that limited my speed? Do I need to set something in my car to increase speed? I was charging at the Squamish charger. See photo.

IMG_1436.JPG

• Love
Reactions: dmd2005
That is a normal rate of charge given the strength of charge of your battery.

The km/hr or mi/hr metric is fairly useless in a vacuum because charging speed depends so greatly on how full your battery is. The rule of thumb I have seen on the forum (that also matches my own experiences) is that % strength of charge + kW should be roughly equal to at least 120. This rule of thumb may not work at the extremes such as SOC <10% or SOC >90%, but should work for most other cases. I have seen over 150 using this metric (for example 50% SOC and still getting over 100 kW), but if it is 120 or more I would generally be happy.

The few times I have had <100 using this metric, I have unplugged and plugged in to a different pedestal and got a faster charging speed.

In the picture above, it looks like your battery is ~80% full and you are still receiving 62 kW, so that would give you a total of 142, which is well above 120 so very good.

My friend also just told me that because I was plugged into stall 1B, the person next to me in 1A was getting faster charge until he hit his 80%. Apparently we were sharing one supercharger.

No, it's the opposite. If you are plugged into 1B and no one is plugged into 1A, you should get as much power as possible, but if someone plugs in to 1A, your charge rate will diminish by about 30%. For example, if both cars have about 20% strength of charge, you would be getting roughly 110 kW plugged in by yourself. When the other guy plugs in, both of you should get something like 75 kW. For this reason, it is supercharger etiquette to not plug in to a paired stall unless it is necessary (i.e. 50% or more of the stalls are already in use).

No, it's the opposite. If you are plugged into 1B and no one is plugged into 1A, you should get as much power as possible, but if someone plugs in to 1A, your charge rate will diminish by about 30%. For example, if both cars have about 20% strength of charge, you would be getting roughly 110 kW plugged in by yourself. When the other guy plugs in, both of you should get something like 75 kW. For this reason, it is supercharger etiquette to not plug in to a paired stall unless it is necessary (i.e. 50% or more of the stalls are already in use).
This is also incorrect. The way it is supposed to work is that the person who first arrives gets their maximum required charge, and the residual goes to the person who arrives at the paired stall. In other words, if someone is in 1A, they should not be penalized when another car starts charging in 1B. It is the 1B owner who is making a poor choice for themselves.

This is also incorrect. The way it is supposed to work is that the person who first arrives gets their maximum required charge, and the residual goes to the person who arrives at the paired stall. In other words, if someone is in 1A, they should not be penalized when another car starts charging in 1B. It is the 1B owner who is making a poor choice for themselves.

Correct, and that's what I did as a novice! Now I know to go to an empty pair of stalls first if available!

There was already somebody in 1A, so all I did by going to 1B was select a weak charge. Am I correct? Both 1A and 2A were occupied, so I should have gone to 3A, I suppose. But I didn't know and thought it was like a gas station where it makes no difference. I've been conditioned by ICE cars.

Okay thanks for the correction. I rarely have to use a paired stall where I charge :)

Is that right? I thought it was a split, based on state of charge... If the first guy is tapering down, the second car would get the remainder, which should be half of more. If they both pulled in at a low state of charge, they'd get half each.

If the logic you describe is being used, is the system smart enough to not penalize the last guy in, if there are no stall choices? Seems unfair that the last person gets whatever is left, just because he's last in...

Happily, the superchargers I frequent are usually vacant, so I haven't had much opportunity to observe.

Is that right? I thought it was a split, based on state of charge... If the first guy is tapering down, the second car would get the remainder, which should be half of more. If they both pulled in at a low state of charge, they'd get half each.

If the logic you describe is being used, is the system smart enough to not penalize the last guy in, if there are no stall choices? Seems unfair that the last person gets whatever is left, just because he's last in...

Happily, the superchargers I frequent are usually vacant, so I haven't had much opportunity to observe.
The last person in gets the dregs. That's the algorithm as it is supposed to work. Here in congested California, people have seen inconsistent results overall due to capped power, but the documentation on this forum since Supercharging has been around has supported my assessment. It's why you shouldn't get stressed out when someone takes a paired stall to one on which you're already charging. I generally kindly tell them that they'll benefit by moving, but it's their choice. Of course, it's their choice regardless of the algorithm, isn't it? :)

This was confirmed by people doing a certain very unsavory thing to "steal" priority from another owner who was actively Supercharging before them.

The point of all of this, however, is that the reason @rainforest was receiving a slower rate of charge likely had nothing to do with pairing. Charging when your battery SOC is already at 70% is going to be slow. You're well into the tapering curve at that point.

Also, um.. Western Canada Superchargers are great.

• Funny
Reactions: TLej
The last person in gets the dregs. That's the algorithm as it is supposed to work. Here in congested California, people have seen inconsistent results overall due to capped power, but the documentation on this forum since Supercharging has been around has supported my assessment. It's why you shouldn't get stressed out when someone takes a paired stall to one on which you're already charging. I generally kindly tell them that they'll benefit by moving, but it's their choice. Of course, it's their choice regardless of the algorithm, isn't it? :)

This was confirmed by people doing a certain very unsavory thing to "steal" priority from another owner who was actively Supercharging before them.

The point of all of this, however, is that the reason @rainforest was receiving a slower rate of charge likely had nothing to do with pairing. Charging when your battery SOC is already at 70% is going to be slow. You're well into the tapering curve at that point.

Also, um.. Western Canada Superchargers are great.

Whaddya mean they aren't great? Is that a thing?