Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was self driving video scripted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Apart from the video cuts, and playback speed changes during the video, I've noticed that autopilot toycar display was acting weird.

Could someone tell me what is happening here?

Are they just tricking radar to think that there are cars front so the car can slow down?
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 03.54.32.png

I wouldn't call this as "self-driving". But definitely it is much better than AP1. Elon said it took 3 days to capture this video. Probably they've driven the same road many times and pinpointed waypoints about where to stop, where to turn.

Scripted? No

Heavily edited with lots of reshoots, and patched together? Yes

It's a fun video, but it's not reflective of anything. If they wanted to prove something they would have posted an video that was in real-time. It's good marketing though.

As the IC it doesn't appear like it was working all that well throughout the entire video. I would chalk that up to running Engineering software where they didn't bother implementing all that stuff. Keep in mind it's completely new software. It's probably buggy as all hell.

Reactions: xborg
Explain. What is it about that time in the video that you find noteworthy? The car is stopped at an intersection. So...?
Did you see my screenshot in the first post?
Check autopilot display on 1:00 minute mark. It detects bunch of cars in the intersection and it stops. But there were no cars. It may be the case that they've just pressed a button and tricked radar that there are cars front in order to make the car slow down.
Watch it full screen please. Link here

Check autopilot display on 1:00 minute mark. It detects bunch of cars in the intersection and it stops. But there were no cars. It may be the case that they've just pressed a button and tricked radar that there are cars front in order to make the car slow down.
I think they just didn't rewrite the UI yet, no need to waste time on that at the moment.

Reactions: Yuri_G
At the one minute point in the video the X stops because the light is red. Look at the traffic light. It is red. The oncoming traffic on that rod is also stopped. Then the cars in the left hand turn lane immediately to the left of the X proceed, then the X proceeds.

Watch it full screen please. Link here

There's no height requirement to post on this forum, but, "xborg" certainly appears short.

Hi all,
Apart from the video cuts, and playback speed changes during the video, I've noticed that autopilot toycar display was acting weird.
Are they just tricking radar to think that there are cars front so the car can slow down?
I wouldn't call this as "self-driving". But definitely it is much better than AP1. Elon said it took 3 days to capture this video. Probably they've driven the same road many times and pinpointed waypoints about where to stop, where to turn.

At the one minute point in the video the X stops because the light is red. Look at the traffic light. It is red. The oncoming traffic on that rod is also stopped. Then the cars in the left hand turn lane immediately to the left of the X proceed, then the X proceeds.
What I say is, it doesn't stop because the light is red. It stops because they trick the autopilot to believe that there are cars front.

Hi all,

Are they just tricking radar to think that there are cars front so the car can slow down?View attachment 200042

What has been highlighted here is the icon for RadioLab, which is a podcast from WNYC.

I wouldn't take this video as anything more than a best case overview of what eventually can be done (marketing). A sort of vision of future capabilities (which Tesla perhaps eventually get to), but most people know that there is a lot more to be done before this becomes available generally (not the least of which is regulation updates to allow it)...

What I say is, it doesn't stop because the light is red. It stops because they trick the autopilot to believe that there are cars front.
Yeah I see what you're saying. It could be that the camera can't detect stop signs and red lights yet so they scripted the ride. I took the entire video as a vision rather than current capabilities.

Reactions: xborg
I'm in the 'The UI isn't done yet' boat. For one, if they were going to script it, I would hope it would have turned out better. For another if they were going to script it, why would it delay the launch? They could have scripted a video like that months ago.

Maybe it is actually reading the red light and this makes the car behave in a similar fashion by telling it not to proceed.

But maybe the images have not been put in the system so a red light shows as a car.

It does seem like it noticed something and came up to it and slowed down to a full stop. Not like they hit a button and it stopped immediately.