Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walgreens planning to offer EV charging nationwide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only peeve is that, for marketing and convenience to power, all of the charging spaces are likely to be placed at the front of the store, probably next to the handicapped parking. Very bad. Unlike in the handicapped parking, lazy boneses know they won't get ticketed in the charging spots.

I agree. I'd actually like to see a couple chargers towards the back of the lot. I prefer to park in the least-crowded area I can that is still publicly visible to reduce door-dings and discouraging foul play. The walking which results from parking away from the building is also good for your health. :smile:

I'm glad Walgreens is installing chargers, I hope more businesses follow suit in the next few years.

I agree. I'd actually like to see a couple chargers towards the back of the lot. I prefer to park in the least-crowded area I can that is still publicly visible to reduce door-dings and discouraging foul play. The walking which results from parking away from the building is also good for your health. :smile:

I'm glad Walgreens is installing chargers, I hope more businesses follow suit in the next few years.
J
Exactly. I'm certainly willing to walk for the reasons you mention.

I wish the article had said more about the kind of chargers being installed. I'm guessing they'll be 30 A J1772 chargers though. I'd hope for some rapid charging stations too. I'd be glad to pay a fee for those.

My only peeve is that, for marketing and convenience to power, all of the charging spaces are likely to be placed at the front of the store, probably next to the handicapped parking. Very bad. Unlike in the handicapped parking, lazy boneses know they won't get ticketed in the charging spots.

Find your EV parking spot has been taken by a gasoline powered vehicle?

You've been ICE'd!

The two locations I visited in Elk Grove, CA have the stations installed at the REAR of the building, one corner to the "right" (if you exit the store) -- if that makes sense. (The entrance is at a corner location.) So, actually, they did it "RIGHT" ;-) ... being a less congested location :)

It's a good start but I'd really like to see businesses install charging stations in places where I am happy to spend an hour or two. A couple of our local shopping malls should have them soon, but it would be really great to see them at a couple of the local Starbucks (I occasionally use Starbucks as a meeting place for business discussions as do other people I know).

It's a good start but I'd really like to see businesses install charging stations in places where I am happy to spend an hour or two...
Sometimes I spend an hour waiting in line just to pick up prescriptions for family members.
It would help ease the pain of waiting in such a long line to know that I am at least getting some charge while stuck there.
(Unfortunately the 24 hour Walgreens I tend to use doesn't yet seem to be on the list of places getting EVSEs installed...)

Pretty cool news, now I can charge up while grabbing rubbers! [taps mic] Is this thing on?

Seriously though, good to hear. I don't frequent pharmacies very often but they seem to be everywhere nowadays. Hope they don't charge an arm and a leg for the charge time.

I just noticed that in Northern CA, the Walgreens locations that support chargers are using the SemaCharge network, which has level 1 & 2 chargers (J1772 for the latter).

So, I signed up for an account. You have to pre-pay $20 towards your account, but there are no setup or account maintenance fees. I also have a ChargePoint card, which was a similar setup. For me, these are mostly emergency/peace of mind things.