Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.3 beats Tesla model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of good feedback here to consider. While one does not beat the other outright its a great day for the industry. Enjoy your 3's or VW we have choice that is good. Hope one day all get along. Never a one horse race is it....

I’m not sure many of your past threads support that notion. lol.
We will see if your future “Get Tesla back” threads change to reflect your new epiphany. ;)
Maybe you finally turned the corner, and let that vindictive streak towards Tesla dissipate. ..

You're welcome to praise it- the problem was that one dude who kept praising it for things that simply weren't true.

Denying the launch had been delayed- when such was widely reported and admitted by VW themselves.

Denying there were (and still are) significant software problems- when such was widely reported and admitted by VW themselves.

Denying it was launched without everything being ready when VW themselves told owners not everything was ready and giving them the option to push off taking ownership until it was (and still isn't).

Denying any fit/finish problems- when multiple reviews of the car all cited them.

Even funnier when he also tried to tell us how great the ID.4 was too when those aren't even available yet.

Likewise if someone wants to praise the polestar 2 as another example of a legacy company (kinda) finally producing a worthwhile EV they're free to- long as they don't try to deny the fact they just had to recall every one ever sold for...software problems.

While we're at it- Hyundai and Kia make pretty respectable small EVs as well... though they're unable to secure enough battery to produce them in large numbers... (Ford apparently has a similar issue with the Mach E though we haven't seen reviews of production models to know how much we ought care they're not making a ton of em).

The bolt isn't a bad car either if you can get one cheap enough... (the recent Costco lease deal where you could get one for $194/month for example was EXCELLENT for someone looking to replace an older ICE vehicle where they were probably spending a fair % of that in gas alone each month).

That is a lot to take in... so what are the fit and finish issues you are talking about? Just the materials or we talking issues with quality like panel gate?

That person who brought up the ID4 had a great point about actual quality inspections of a finished product though.

I think also this person was putting across the finished product is in good shape it all works and the build quality is exceptionally good.

Last edited:
From VW CEO What worries me the most is the capabilities in the assistance systems. 500,000 Teslas function as a neural network that continuously collects data and provides the customer a new driving experience every 14 days with improved properties. No other automobile manufacturer can do that today.

Very surprising that folks are buying ID.3 based on this comparison. I'm guessing that dealers are discounting from these prices? While Tesla does NOT discount, I can understand that some would be interested in a cheaper car, which has about the same range, much less acceleration and cargo space.

How long could that last? I'd guess not long as Tesla will start lowering prices with improvements to manufacturing, supply chain, vehicle components...etc

I'd guess VW sells 50k ID.3's world wide in 2021 (unless heavily discounted) as they sold 56k in 2020.

Very surprising that folks are buying ID.3 based on this comparison. I'm guessing that dealers are discounting from these prices? While Tesla does NOT discount, I can understand that some would be interested in a cheaper car, which has about the same range, much less acceleration and cargo space.

How long could that last? I'd guess not long as Tesla will start lowering prices with improvements to manufacturing, supply chain, vehicle components...etc

I'd guess VW sells 50k ID.3's world wide in 2021 (unless heavily discounted) as they sold 56k in 2020.

They sold 56k but didn't start deliveries until the fall of 2020.

They expect to build and sell well over 100k in 2021.

The fact Tesla continually sells out of cars suggests there's a lot more demand for EVs in general than what Tesla can supply to the market.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Personally I think it would be healthy for Tesla to have some decent competition .. as buyers we can only benefit from more choice, and there is nothing better than a bit of competition to keep a company from getting complacent.
Agreed, here's to them actually being competitive and not just competing with what Tesla is offering from a few years or more ago.

Reactions: XPsionic
Personally I think it would be healthy for Tesla to have some decent competition .. as buyers we can only benefit from more choice, and there is nothing better than a bit of competition to keep a company from getting complacent.
VW has a long legacy to draw from
  • Nazi collaborators
  • Slavery
  • Corporate deceit and criminal malfeasance from the CEO down
  • Corruption of the German political structure
I can think of a long list of competitors Tesla could learn good things from.
VW is not on the list.

VW has a long legacy to draw from
  • Nazi collaborators
  • Slavery
  • Corporate deceit and criminal malfeasance from the CEO down
  • Corruption of the German political structure
I can think of a long list of competitors Tesla could learn good things from.
VW is not on the list.

Dont be absurd .. I was discussing competition in general and not the history of VW, or any other car maker for that matter.