Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volts start to annoy me every day more !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any EVs (other than Tesla) that can charge at more than 40A AC? Sorry in advance for going off topic.

I don't believe so. However, I thought that as the trend to larger batteries caught on, then so too would larger on-board chargers across all brands of cars. That was one reason I went with the 80 amp J1772 stations... to future-proof. But even Tesla seems to be backing away from this. Smaller single charger on the X and a de-emphasis on the dual charger option on the S.

Not being considerate is not a monopoly of any EV car. Once or twice a week I head to downtown Chicago. More often then not I take one of our Volts rather then the Tesla. Very consistently in the garage I park at there are 1 or 2 Model S's that park in the EV charging spots and our never plugged in. Now I did have another Volt owner one time take my L1 charger from my vehicle and plug it into theirs. I wouldnt have minded if my car was fully charged. Still that was once and the Tesla's I see doing this nearly every visit. If you arent going to use the charger then dont park in the spot. Last week I took our Model S and since I had more then enough charge to make it home I parked in a regular spot and left the EV spots open.

In the US, I don't believe we have 80A L2 public chargers. The Tesla HPWC is the only 80A option that I'm aware of.

There are quite a few Sun Country 80A J1772's in the U.S., especially in Washington State and California, but not many in Florida.

Pan and zoom around in Sun Country Highway Map.

I helped install 70A J1772's in Pagosa Springs, CO and Salida, CO. The only users that have stopped by other than Teslas at those sites, have been Volts. Although I was not present, the folks at the sites said the Volt owners were very nice, did not bother anyone, and were happy to get a charge.

I don't believe so. However, I thought that as the trend to larger batteries caught on, then so too would larger on-board chargers across all brands of cars. That was one reason I went with the 80 amp J1772 stations... to future-proof. But even Tesla seems to be backing away from this. Smaller single charger on the X and a de-emphasis on the dual charger option on the S.

Funny, I did the same thing by installing a 32A J1772 charging station. At the time, most of the ones you could buy were 16A. I think there may have been some higher amp ones, but they were prohibitively expensive. The 32A charger I installed I considered a good deal at about $900 (hardware only, not including installation).

It's nice if someone with a range extender yields to someone without, but it's very situational. You can't ask people not to plug in because they have a range extender, on the off chance someone with a pure BEV will arrive and need a charge. Think of someone buying an i3 -- if they opt to pay more to have the range extender, should they have to drive more often on gas if they do? I don't think so.

Of course it is considerate to yield a space to a pure EV if the situation arises. Sometimes, though, hogging a space may not be intentional. Other times, yes it might just be an inconsiderate person. Hard to say which is which by looking at a car. But I don't think it's a valid stereotype to put extra blame on Volt drivers as falling into the inconsiderate category.

Last edited:
In the US, I don't believe we have 80A L2 public chargers. The Tesla HPWC is the only 80A option that I'm aware of.

We certainly do have them in the US, but they're in the minority. I've seen more popping up recently. In fact, during my recent trip from DC to northern Vermont, every daytime stop I made was an 80A station.

This is exactly one of the reasons why there needs to be more stations in the same parking lot and the ability to divert excess capacity to other cars that need them. Supporting different charging rates while managing the capacity is key. We have a project addressing this issue right now and we welcome as many Volts that would like to sip...slowly...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...rging-50x-L2-80A-Stations-Caltech-Pasadena-CA