Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volts start to annoy me every day more !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I said earlier, cost won't help. I used to not have a home charger for 5 months and visted a lot of public chargers around Los Angeles. People park at the convenient EV charging station, plug in but never activate the charger to avoid paying. I have seen so many times. The core problem is many EV drivers just want a premium parking spot. That's really what it comes down to. At Disneyland Anaheim they have 20 chargers. They put them in absolute prime location. Many times I went I checked the displays on the chargers. I would say about 1/3 plugged in but were not charging. They only wanted the better parking location. Same at popular mall I used to live next to. The management never enforced it. People would just pull in, plug in and walk away without starting the charger, all the time.
High cost for charging just encourages people to cheat and not charge, they are still going to park their EV there. I see people getting towed and ticketed almost every day here in LA, but I have never seen an EV getting a ticket or even towed for not charging at a station.
This is why EV charging spaces should not be premium parking spaces. They're not there just because it's easier to bring power to spaces closer to the building, it's also because LEED gives green building points for the privileged parking. LEED is actually doing us a disservice-- we don't want privileged parking, what we want is for charging to be available.

The Volt has annoyed me ever since it's actual make. It was supposed to be as sexy sporty awesome car.
Instead we got a Honda Accord with a generator in the trunk. Only instead of Honda reliability, we got the GM Death Machine.

It's a tech we don't need. Skip the crap between. the end game is a full EV. Either commit your resources to it, or die off like HD-DVD.

The Volt has annoyed me ever since it's actual make. It was supposed to be as sexy sporty awesome car.
Instead we got a Honda Accord with a generator in the trunk. Only instead of Honda reliability, we got the GM Death Machine.

I duuno. There are a lot of very satisfied Volt owners out there. I count myself among them insofar as our company Volt goes. It's been extremely reliable, unlike my past Honda Accord which was such a POS that I got rid of it after 10 months.

This is why EV charging spaces should not be premium parking spaces. They're not there just because it's easier to bring power to spaces closer to the building, it's also because LEED gives green building points for the privileged parking. LEED is actually doing us a disservice-- we don't want privileged parking, what we want is for charging to be available.

Couldn't agree more. The root of the problem in many cases is the location of the charging spots. It's a problem that people were not able to predict and don't understand unless they actually own an EV.

My 2012 Volt was the best car I ever owned. I currently own a 85D.

It's a tech we don't need. Skip the crap between. the end game is a full EV. Either commit your resources to it, or die off like HD-DVD.

Wow.. GM death Machine? I would have to say my Volt never went into the shop in the two years I owned it. It was a great piece of engineering, but if you haven't had one you wouldn't know and I guess its easier to jump on the Government Motors bandwagon.

Only instead of Honda reliability, we got the GM Death Machine.
Not sure where "Death Machine" comes from. If you are referring to the ignition switch issue GM had, the Volt does not even have an ignition switch (it's keyless press to start).

As far as reliability, our 2013 Volt has been the most reliable car I've ever own, by a wide margin. It's much more reliable than the Model S (though visiting Tesla Service is actually enjoyable vs every Chevrolet dealer I've ever visited). Other than 1 oil change, a few minor recall adjustments and tire rotations it has been basically maintenance free for over 40k miles.

Couldn't agree more. The root of the problem in many cases is the location of the charging spots. It's a problem that people were not able to predict and don't understand unless they actually own an EV.

While I completely agree with David99 and TexasEV on this, the charging space is a private land right? Isn't it possible for the landowner to tow those cars without paying at the car owner's expense?

As more people use EVs, I think to keep the charging spots to work as designed, some rule enforcement would be necessary, such as no-charge towing and overcharge after a grace period.

Wow, I have never had our 3 year old Volt in the shop! In the 28 months that we owned our S85, it was in the shop around 6 times! The Volt was winning all kinds of awards until the Model S showed up...including one for high-strength steel protection. Death Machine??? I think not!

We are waiting for Tesla to improve on reliability,( especially the DU) before we buy another....But we miss driving the Model S. It really sucks not to be able to drive a Tesla after having one for 28 months.

So did you actually look at or drive the car before rendering this opinion?

I'm thinking no - if you had, you'd realize the generator isn't in the trunk. :p

Seriously, it may not be a Tesla but the Volt is a great car - safer, more fun to drive, and more reliable than that Honda Accord you mentioned and averaging ~80% EV miles for the typical car - driving as many EV miles per year per car as the Leaf despite the smaller battery.
Walter

Isn't it possible for the landowner to tow those cars without paying at the car owner's expense?

It probably varies by jurisdiction, but I am told that an owner (shopping mall, for example) could tow a car under private property laws currently on the books. The problem is, most private property owners don't want to do this as it would piss off customers. There are by-laws that compel an owner to enforce handicapped parking spot requirements, but nothing to compel them to enforce EV parking spots.

A Model S owner should never "need" to charge at a L2 Public charging station unless he/she is on a road trip. I don't even bother with opportunity charging anymore. In my mind, the 30A public charging stations are for the Leafs and Volts, etc. At 18 miles of range per hour, it's hardly worth the effort to navigate to one, get the adapter out, swipe my membership card, and plug in. All of that bother, so I can pick up 69 cents of fuel per hour? No thanks.

On a road trip, my charging "order of preference" is:
- Tesla Supercharger, then Tesla HPWC (80A, then 40A), then a distant third would be 30A L2 Public charging stations, then RV parks for emergency only. I ignore the Chademo stations because I won't purchase an adapter. I read about lots of complaints with Chademo stations: ripoff prices, inoperative equipment, reduced current, time limitations, membership costs, etc.

A Model S owner should never "need" to charge at a L2 Public charging station unless he/she is on a road trip. I don't even bother with opportunity charging anymore. In my mind, the 30A public charging stations are for the Leafs and Volts, etc. At 18 miles of range per hour, it's hardly worth the effort to navigate to one, get the adapter out, swipe my membership card, and plug in. All of that bother, so I can pick up 69 cents of fuel per hour? No thanks.

On a road trip, my charging "order of preference" is:
- Tesla Supercharger, then Tesla HPWC (80A, then 40A), then a distant third would be 30A L2 Public charging stations, then RV parks for emergency only. I ignore the Chademo stations because I won't purchase an adapter. I read about lots of complaints with Chademo stations: ripoff prices, inoperative equipment, reduced current, time limitations, membership costs, etc.

Deserves repeating.

While some are blatantly inconsiderate, much of this is bad design. Airports? If they don't design so one station can serve multiple cars, whatever car that's on it will be locking it up after a day.

Preferred parking? Of course that's going to get grabbed.

Soon most cars will be 200+ mile cars and we will look at these pains and laugh.

L2 is good long term at the airport. In winter in Chicago, if my car is sitting for a week or two, I want it plugged in.

Airports will need lots of inexpensive low power chargers, especially in cold winter areas.

A Model S owner should never "need" to charge at a L2 Public charging station unless he/she is on a road trip.

Depends. I, for example, have a 100 mile round trip commute which is, of course do-able unless I start out with less than an optimum charge, it's winter and I have to make some business trips during the day. So I will use 80 amp Level 2 public chargers (same power as a HPWC) and can take full advantage of my dual chargers.

L2 is good long term at the airport. In winter in Chicago, if my car is sitting for a week or two, I want it plugged in.

Airports will need lots of inexpensive low power chargers, especially in cold winter areas.

St. Louis installed a row of 8 L2 chargers that operate at 208V / 16A. They're definitely worthless for short-term, but very valuable for business trips (and there's usually a spot open) - they're far enough away from the terminal that the range-extenders ignore them.

St. Louis installed a row of 8 L2 chargers that operate at 208V / 16A. They're definitely worthless for short-term, but very valuable for business trips (and there's usually a spot open) - they're far enough away from the terminal that the range-extenders ignore them.

Perfect.

And in line with some of what ReddyLeaf nicely outlined as i think the significant design factors such locations should be considering when putting in charging...

I agree with the need for lower powered L2 charging at airports. 16A, 208V would be great for airport parking (particularly in cold climates).
The Tampa airport has two options:
1. L2 charging in the valet lot.
2. L2 charging in the "cell phone" waiting lot - (just dumb).

So basically your choices are to pay through the nose to have the valet plug you in while you are on your trip, or pick up 18 cents of fuel while you are waiting to pick up your holiday guests.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends. I, for example, have a 100 mile round trip commute which is, of course do-able unless I start out with less than an optimum charge, it's winter and I have to make some business trips during the day. So I will use 80 amp Level 2 public chargers (same power as a HPWC) and can take full advantage of my dual chargers.

In the US, I don't believe we have 80A L2 public chargers. The Tesla HPWC is the only 80A option that I'm aware of.

I agree with the need for lower powered L2 charging at airports. 16A, 208V would be great for airport parking (particularly in cold climates).
The Tampa airport has two options:
1. L2 charging in the valet lot.
2. L2 charging in the "cell phone" waiting lot - (just dumb).

So basically your choices are to pay through the nose to have the valet plug you in while you are on your trip, or pick up 18 cents of fuel while you are waiting to pick up your holiday guests.

- - - Updated - - -

In the US, I don't believe we have 80A L2 public chargers. The Tesla HPWC is the only 80A option that I'm aware of.

I've used one 70A.... ironically it was a J1772-converted older Tesla HPC (Clipper Creek OEM).