Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for the official policy on range charges, I have gotten many different lines from docs -vs- sales/service folks. I have range charged my early S (vin 2201) dozens of times. A 90% charge still returns 230 miles rated most of the time. Haven't looked recently but the car certainly doesn't show that many range charges. So it certainly resets. Very possibly the way that SteveS0353 says it does.

What's more deleterious to the pack than the number of range charges is how long it's kept at high SOC X time X temperature. Since temp is largely controlled on the MS, keeping it at high SOC for the shortest possible time is the best way to keep your pack healthy.

As for the official policy on range charges, I have gotten many different lines from docs -vs- sales/service folks. I have range charged my early S (vin 2201) dozens of times. A 90% charge still returns 230 miles rated most of the time. Haven't looked recently but the car certainly doesn't show that many range charges. So it certainly resets. Very possibly the way that SteveS0353 says it does.

The car keeps count of range charges (defined as a charge session ending about 90% SoC), and will pop open a dialog box if the count reaches 3 consecutive range charges and give you the option to reduce the charge target. The reason I know is because I used the slider to choose 90% as my charge target for every day, but unknowingly actually chose 91%. I charged every night, and on the 3th morning I got the dialog box. When I used VisibleTesla to check, it was reporting a 91% target. I used VisibleTesla to set the SoC target to exactly 90% ("Jump to Standard" on the Charge tab), and the range charge counter reset to zero on the next charge.

What's more deleterious to the pack than the number of range charges is how long it's kept at high SOC X time X temperature. Since temp is largely controlled on the MS, keeping it at high SOC for the shortest possible time is the best way to keep your pack healthy.

@Ingineer is correct, it's not the number of range charges which is degrading to capacity, it's the time spent with the SoC above 90%. Don't be afraid to range charge -- use the capacity of the battery when you need it, but try to time the end of charge so that you will be driving soon after and thus not leave the battery pack at a high SoC.

Yep. On my 5540 mile trip in 2013 we didn't leave the charge at 100% very long ever. Longest would be in the mornings before we would head out for the next day. I checked and we have 66 chargers visited in our known chargers list. The last one is a charger in Kansas City which was the Eastern most charger we visited on our trip that started in Silicon Valley.

VisibleTesla stopped working for me. Mac 0.50 and PC
I get a communications error. Logon OK but "unable to control or monitor "
Anyone else with the same issue ?
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 4.38.09 PM.png

VisibleTesla stopped working for me. Mac 0.50 and PC
I get a communications error. Logon OK but "unable to control or monitor "
Anyone else with the same issue ?

Some questions:
  1. Does the phone app (iPhone or Android) work?
  2. Is remote access still enabled in the car (Touch Controls > Settings > Safety & Security > Remote Access > On)?
  3. Does the car have 3G connectivity? An easy check is to try a voice command - this will give an error if you don't have connectivity even though the display may show multiple bars, as if you have connectivity.

VT Mac had been silently not communicating for several days. No graph data, trips, no location map (although satellite view worked), and a missed notification when I had forgotten to plug in for one night. That got my attention and a re-launch yesterday needed reentering my password, with a slow login, but it's been fine since. I suspect that there was a server glitch recently and VT didn't recover gracefully. It's working now.

Some questions:
  1. Does the phone app (iPhone or Android) work?
  2. Is remote access still enabled in the car (Touch Controls > Settings > Safety & Security > Remote Access > On)?
  3. Does the car have 3G connectivity? An easy check is to try a voice command - this will give an error if you don't have connectivity even though the display may show multiple bars, as if you have connectivity.

hmm .. seem to work OK today , thanks

Hi all! Just tried to download and run VT but on the site there are only outdated releases it seems, and building from source results in a not working app (Mac OS Yosemite / Java 8). Any ideas how to proceed? Thanks!

There is an experimental version you need to download. Refer to this post by Joe Pasqua (VT author) in this thread for the details. The Mac version linked there (0.50.08) works well for me on a Mac.

Having issues signing in after a fresh install of 0.28.01

"Remember to use you email address as your user name"

I can sign in through the Tesla app and log on to My Tesla but I keep getting this pop up from VT (all the credentials are entered correctly)

Any help

Thanks
Steve

Having issues signing in after a fresh install of 0.28.01

"Remember to use you email address as your user name"

I can sign in through the Tesla app and log on to My Tesla but I keep getting this pop up from VT (all the credentials are entered correctly)

Any help

Thanks
Steve

From only 7 posts above yours:

There is an experimental version you need to download. Refer to this post by Joe Pasqua (VT author) in this thread for the details. The Mac version linked there (0.50.08) works well for me on a Mac.

I'm getting more and more events where VT stops being able to connect to the car. It does't matter if it's sitting idle, on the road, or being charged.

Quitting VT and restarting it restores the connection. I wonder if Tesla's servers are being more picky about how clients connect to them?

I'm noticing this too on version 0.50.08. Looks like it's connected, but no updates even when I hit the refresh button. I also tried logging into the Tesla app which works fine. (still no updates) A restart always fixes it.