Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very uneven tire wear even on dual-motor X. Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model X 75D from early 2017. I replaced all four factory tires last year at around 32,500 miles. I used Continental Extreme Contact DW06 as they seemed to be highly-rated. The front tires were backordered so the rear ones got done in June and the front in August.

I haven't given the tires much thought at all since then. The first set lasted 30k miles and there has only been about 15,000 miles added since then.

Today I happened to take a look at the rear tires are totally bald. I was pretty shocked. The front tires still have the ink in the treads.

I could expect that from a RWD vehicle but how is that possible on a D? Am I taking crazy pills?

I keep the suspension on low. Alignment was checked at the regular maintenance that was done last summer just before the tires were replaced. I was pretty happy with the 32k miles but they were pretty low then, too. Not *this* low, but low.

I came from P85D where tires go at ~12k miles on my XP100D I’m at 25k ..if I can make 32k it’s a win for me ;)

The original Conti tires on my 3/2017 X 100D lasted slightly more than 20k miles. However, that was an early failure due to worn inside edges from driving with suspension on low due to acceleration shudder on the standard setting. I am surprised at 32k miles. That seems really good. 20k has been common, though I should be able to improve on that if I can avoid the inside wear.

It is certainly possible to buy just a set of rears. I used to do that for my Porsche, where I could get by with one set of fronts for every two sets of rears.

The original Conti tires on my 3/2017 X 100D lasted slightly more than 20k miles. However, that was an early failure due to worn inside edges from driving with suspension on low due to acceleration shudder on the standard setting. I am surprised at 32k miles. That seems really good. 20k has been common, though I should be able to improve on that if I can avoid the inside wear.

It is certainly possible to buy just a set of rears. I used to do that for my Porsche, where I could get by with one set of fronts for every two sets of rears.

I’m on staggered 22s at 25k miles I’m hoping for 30k+ :)

20" Conti ExtremeContact DWS06. 13k on the rears and they were at 2/32. Got about 20k out of the fronts before they were at 3/32 and I replaced them. Tread wear warranty was 25k on the rear and 50k on the fronts since it's staggered.

Suspension always low and tires were worn evenly across the tread.

Rear is taking the brunt of the wear under heavy acceleration because the weight transfers rearward. If you're gentle on the throttle they'll be closer together.

Tire wear on the Model X is actually a little better than what I'd get on my BMW X6M. Using the same DWS06 tires, but the X6Ms were much wider and a lot more expensive.