Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very cold weather parking question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going on a trip next week to a very cold area. My car will be parked outside for a week in very cold temps (about 5-25 degrees Fahrenheit). There is a J1772 charger there (208 volts 30 amps), but I cannot leave the car on the charger all week. I will probably get there with about 100 miles remaining. The car will be valeted, so they may move it once or twice during the week. I also may go out to dinner once or twice during the week for a very short (<5 mile) trip.

I plan on leaving the "always connected" unchecked, power savings on, range mode on, and climate control off. I was then going to tip the valet to put the car on the charger the night before I leave to do a range charge that would likely finish right before I leave.

I have read most to the posts in this forum. Any other advice? Will 100 miles be enough to leave the car with in that type of weather?

I don't loose much range in the cold while it sits, only during preconditioning and driving while warning the cabin and with limited regen. Once the battery warms enough for regen, my range gets better. A 42 mile trek in the 20° F takes about 62 miles of range off. I'd say if your trip was less than 60 miles you'd be fine but you are taking the chance that there won't be any accidents or delays which can cause instant range anxiety. any time I take a trip in the winter I try to find a way to leave with as much battery as possible.

See if they can leave it on a trickle charger - also known a a regular wall outlet 120 volt, 15 Amp outlet - should give you about 3 miles an hour in charge and maintain you battery... NEMA 5-15 or NEMA 5-20 would work fine. Also thanks for not parking it on 208 volt 30AMP charger for a week, like some of the ass jacks do at Dulles Airport here in DC.

NEMA_simplified_pins.svg.png

Will 100 miles be enough to leave the car with in that type of weather?
I would not risk that. Either find a 120V outlet and leave it plugged in, or pay the valets to plug the car into the J1722 overnight after you arrive (and unplug it first thing the next day) so it gets about a 90% charge and then have them plug it in again overnight the night before you get back to the car.

I am going on a trip next week to a very cold area. My car will be parked outside for a week in very cold temps (about 5-25 degrees Fahrenheit). There is a J1772 charger there (208 volts 30 amps), but I cannot leave the car on the charger all week. I will probably get there with about 100 miles remaining. The car will be valeted, so they may move it once or twice during the week. I also may go out to dinner once or twice during the week for a very short (<5 mile) trip.

I plan on leaving the "always connected" unchecked, power savings on, range mode on, and climate control off. I was then going to tip the valet to put the car on the charger the night before I leave to do a range charge that would likely finish right before I leave.

I have read most to the posts in this forum. Any other advice? Will 100 miles be enough to leave the car with in that type of weather?
no, it will lose a lot of miles and after week your 100 miles might be only 20 or so. I would go every other day plug it in to the j1772 and try to top it off, best thing would be if you could leave it plugged into a 110 outlet 24/7

no, it will lose a lot of miles and after week your 100 miles might be only 20 or so. I would go every other day plug it in to the j1772 and try to top it off, best thing would be if you could leave it plugged into a 110 outlet 24/7

Every other day is a bit of a pain. I am going to be pretty busy. There is a supercharger on the way about 40 miles away. I could stay there a bit longer and arrive with 150 miles or so. Besides, if it goes down to 20, what is the big deal if I am going to leave it on a J1772 charger for nearly 20 hours before leaving? I could also check on it in the app every other day or so, no?

My car has been parked since Friday night in Minneapolis (not charging, parked).
I had 88 miles on Friday night.
81 miles Saturday morning
78 miles this morning

Temps are well below 30 F.
I think it's 15F there now.

Temps will drop to negative this week. I'll let you know the outcome.

(The stupid electrical company still hasn't hooked up my service, my car won't trickle charge, and now I'm in California)

Do you have Always connected unchecked and Energy Saving on?
No. You could save a lot more if you did that.

I just do this for my daily driving so I don't mind if the car uses as much energy as it sees fit. I'm used to a leaf, so this range is extravagant still.

I will charge my 60D to 80% during night and then, using the app, add 10-15% more 1 hour before I leave (heats battery just prior to use). I will start my ac 15 minutes before leaving while still plugged in. Also I am currently parking in my driveway until I clear out more room for the Tesla. Once in an attached garage, I expect that the vampire drain will diminish slightly. I've read that 4-6 miles per day is the usual loss.

I

It is on a college campus, on a January break, on a Saturday night to Sunday morning. There four other chargers there as well.

To your point I will leave a note to text me if they need the charger. I don't expect it will interfere with anyone's plans though.
sorry to be the one to relate this news to you but regardless of the location of a charging unit camping out at it is very bad form

I lose about 10-15 miles per day when temp is 30F or below. I just have two weeks of data though. I would leave range mode off to ensure battery is better conditioned and charge more often.

TNT, definitely turn Range Mode off if you are charging when it is very cold. If you leave Range Mode on it decreases the amps to warm the battery. You battery will not charge until the battery warms up. Tesla should change the software to turn range mode off when it is cold and the car is plugged in for charging.

I would recommend doing a trip charge, 90% when you arrive and then ask the valet to charge it again the night before you leave. If the car is charging the morning you are going to leave, turn on the heat with your Tesla app. This will warm the batter and the interior so that you do not waste energy warming the car and battery. If you cannot have it charging before you are ready to leave, turn on range mode and then drive away.

Search Cold Weather Driving for articles on how to charge your car when it is cold.

find a 120! we did the exact same for a week and without the 120 the car lost 30 miles the first night as the battery got cold, was only about 3-5 miles a day after that. We have left it plugged into a basic 120 same conditions and found that it didn't gain much if any but there will be almost no loss and battery will be kept warm

FWIW
On Tuesday my car had 78 rated miles.
It's been negative degrees the last 2 days.
Today I'm at 77 miles.

I am in an unheated garage so no wind chill, and my garage temp is probably warmer than air temperature.
But still it'll be well below 5F in that garage