Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusually high longer term parked battery drain (post update?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has noticed higher than usual battery drain recently?

I parked my 2018 Model S 100D up at the airport on evening of 10th with 130miles range showing. Thought I’d check on it 4 days later on morning of 14th and it was down to 88 miles. With 4 days left on my trip I decided it was best to live in ignorance. Just checked this afternoon before flying home, so just under 7 days after I parked it and it is showing 36 miles range

I was hoping that the first check may have shown lower range as the weather was colder than when I parked it. Today’s new range figure doesn’t support that theory though. I think when I get back to it it could have about 20 miles showing! (It should be ok there’s a SC a few miles away)

I did update the car to the latest software before leaving home. Normally the car loses around 1mile/day when parked up (app shows sentry is off, as it should be). Now I’m wondering if the update has switched something back on but I can’t work out what it could be

Any ideas? Has anyone else noticed this since the latest update?

No sentry was definitely showing as off in the app, I did think that but app definitely showed it was off the whole time

Returned to the car this morning and showing 16 miles but none of the screens would turn on.

Car unlocks, it shows in the app that it’s unlocked, all the interior etc lights light up but the screens just wouldn’t do anything even after locking/unlocking the car several times

Then I remembered you can do a reset of the car by holding down both scroll wheels, and nothing to lose so tried it and after 30 seconds the screens reset, Tesla T logo came up on the main screen and it came back into life

I have absolutely no idea why it has done it. Nothing appeared to be left on but I’ve managed to get it to a SC so going to fill it up as I have to go away again for 5 days and leave it hoping it doesn’t drain in the same way :(

Just incase it was the sentry mode I’ve switched it off completely

The only thing I can think of is that something is preventing the car from going to sleep. Make sure you are not using any 3rd party apps. Then, when you leave next time, go to the menu and power down the car.
I'm not sure that would do anything more than a reboot. After hitting power down, you open the door, the window moves up and down, the handles present, any one of which would power up the car again. If it didn't power up after you leave, I don't think you'd ever be able to get back into it.

The only thing I can think of is that something is preventing the car from going to sleep. Make sure you are not using any 3rd party apps. Then, when you leave next time, go to the menu and power down the car.

The power down option from the screen doesn't really do very much. It'll turn off the screen, but all of the other systems can stay awake.

The power down option from the screen doesn't really do very much. It'll turn off the screen, but all of the other systems can stay awake.
Odd, as this is exactly what you are told to do as step 1 in the LV battery replacement (after leaving a door open). So I am pretty sure it puts the car to sleep - just don’t step on the gas on your way out the door.

I had this happen at the airport once, car was losing range at an unexpectedly high rate for no particular reason.

Like you I came back to a completely frozen/dead MCU that needed the two button salute to bring back to life.

I assumed at the time the MCU crashed/froze in a weird state and kept the car from going to sleep. Hasn’t happened since.

Odd, as this is exactly what you are told to do as step 1 in the LV battery replacement (after leaving a door open). So I am pretty sure it puts the car to sleep - just don’t step on the gas on your way out the door.
If you stay in the car for 5 minutes after hitting power off and not touching anything, you will hear stuff turning off after 3 - 4 minutes. This is in the manual as the way to Power Off the car.

Reactions: ATPMSD