Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain on Model X overnight suddenly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Im new to this forum, this is my first post. I own a Model 3 Tesla for one year now, so Im somewhat familiar with the car. In December I picked up my new 2023 MX standard. I noticed that I was losing about 1 mile per night in range (with sentry mode off). About 2 days ago, the X had minor software update that I did. In addition, I decided to test out turning on sentry mode at work and overnight...I lost more range both at work (10 miles) and overnight (15 miles),,,which I expected. Anyway, yesterday I turned off sentry mode at home. after charging the car (level 2 charger for a few hours). I parked the car overnight with 216 miles. I got up this morning to find it at 206 miles at 7AM. Now it is 10 AM and it shows 202 miles. I lost 4 miles in two hours with the car doing nothing but being parked...In the 30 days I have owned this car, the normal behavior has always been only losing about 1 mile overnight. Im trying to figure out if an update can cause this? or something else. I have alway had the cabin overheat protection on since day one. I live in South Fl and its been about 60 or so overnight...The car is parked in a parking garage. Any advise on what to do? Im assuming this is some sort of anomaly as this hasn't happened since I picked up the car last month. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It’s not abnormal… it’ll lose less if you stop waking the car up checking the range
Actually, I have always checked the range exactly the same time every morning at 7am...For the past 25 days or so it has always consistently lost only 1 mile overnight. This was the first time is lost over ten miles overnight and another 6 miles 2 hours later. It has not been the normal behavior since the last 30 days or so I have owned the car

Hi,
Im new to this forum, this is my first post. I own a Model 3 Tesla for one year now, so Im somewhat familiar with the car. In December I picked up my new 2023 MX standard. I noticed that I was losing about 1 mile per night in range (with sentry mode off). About 2 days ago, the X had minor software update that I did. In addition, I decided to test out turning on sentry mode at work and overnight...I lost more range both at work (10 miles) and overnight (15 miles),,,which I expected. Anyway, yesterday I turned off sentry mode at home. after charging the car (level 2 charger for a few hours). I parked the car overnight with 216 miles. I got up this morning to find it at 206 miles at 7AM. Now it is 10 AM and it shows 202 miles. I lost 4 miles in two hours with the car doing nothing but being parked...In the 30 days I have owned this car, the normal behavior has always been only losing about 1 mile overnight. Im trying to figure out if an update can cause this? or something else. I have alway had the cabin overheat protection on since day one. I live in South Fl and its been about 60 or so overnight...The car is parked in a parking garage. Any advise on what to do? Im assuming this is some sort of anomaly as this hasn't happened since I picked up the car last month. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
All normal variances. Percentages (let alone miles) are not particularly precise. First off, charge targets are variable. My desired target SoC is 75%. Most of the time, it ends up at 75%, +/- 1. But it can land anywhere from 73% up to 78%. It is not a precision instrument.

BTW, I recommend setting the dash to display "Energy %" rather than miles. Miles is really a meaningless number anyway, having very little to do with how far you can drive. It is just an indicator of how full the tank is. A % value is very easy for most folks to relate to.

I think I might know the cause. So I was playing around with sentry mode. I had activated it (in the car dash) to turn on for home. After two days I decided to turn it off. However, Instead of turning it off from the car. I turned it off from my phone. I live in a high rise and getting to my car is not that easy. Anyway, I noticed when I got home from work that it was activated. I turned it off from my phone (thinking that it would turn everything off ), until I returned to my car in the morning and unchecked the setting. Im thinking that even though I turned it off on my phone, that it was still somehow activated in the car. Anyway, I turned it off in my car now and will report back tomorrow with results.

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym